Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Water Heater electrical burning smell

I have an Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8312SS, with hot water heater running on electrical get strong electrical melting smell inside kitchen cabinet. Do not see any problem from access areas. Thinking problem is coming from junction box that I do not know easiest access to. need to know easiest access point to suburban water heater electrical junction box
marcguet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcguet58 View Post
I have an Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8312SS, with hot water heater running on electrical get strong electrical melting smell inside kitchen cabinet. Do not see any problem from access areas. Thinking problem is coming from junction box that I do not know easiest access to. need to know easiest access point to suburban water heater electrical junction box
I would go over to gas until the smell is found and rectified. Usually you can access the back of the WH by locating the bypass and service valves on the back, inside a cab or behind a false wall, The JB will be there.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks VinceU, I can assess everything except the junction box, I either have to remove the WH or counter top. Just looking for path of least resistance
Old 10-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #4

Wasn't built by a "RV" co. Was it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #5

Vince, its a Rockwood TT, and the WH is a Suburban. TT is only 3 years old. Pretty disappointed on how the electrical system is wired. the kitchen GFI outlet which we use with coffee pot also runs both TV's, and outdoor outlet that I sometimes use for breakfast skillet. CB is rated 15amp which we can easily overload.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #6

Lots of people run a separate heavy extension cord temp connected out a window or where convenient during use of a high current appliance. It's source is the "extra" single pole 15 amp duplex outlet on the electric service pole. No more overloading the inside breakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #7

I think I found the source of the burning smell. The 120 volt temp limit thermostat is fried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141012_140839_Android.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	64644  
Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #8

Water Heater electrical burning smell

Good deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forum
Hope htr element isn't the cause
Old 11-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcguet58 View Post
I think I found the source of the burning smell. The 120 volt temp limit thermostat is fried.
This summer in Colorado I had problem with water heater. First diagnosis was the on/off switch on water heater was fried. Switch unavailable so wired around it. Water heater worked for maximum of 1 hour. Then found T switch fried. Finally diagnosed that the problem was the wires in the junction box that water heater plugged into. Works fine now after replacing the junctions box. $250.00 later mainly service calls
cdconine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #10

Kinda had the same problem. Dealer replaced the T-stats and on/off switch. The switch had melted along with the wires behind it. What was the problem with your wires in the junction box. They actually removed my water heater to check everything. Just wondering if its something I should look at myself. They tested by cycling to heater, but who knows.
Bob
Old 11-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #11

Originally thought it was just the element but it checked out okay with tester. The junction box is just a "plug and play" type with no screws like in a house. The process was just a process of elimination working back to the electrical source. I don't think there were any real visible signs in the junction box. Repairman had seen it before.
He replaced the junction box with a normal household box and no problems.
cdconine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, heater, water, water heater