Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Water heater Gas or Electric

Good afternoon all. I just purchased a 2007 Signature Ultra Lite. I have no hot water unless propane is hooked up. Will the water heater not work while plugged in to electricity? Also, there is a water heater switch and a tank heater switch. Should both be turned on all the time?
hotrodhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Site Team

If you have the Suburban water heater, this FAQ may help, and explains the gas and/or electric switches you have:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

The tank heater goes to the water tanks to keep them from freezing in the winter. It has nothing to do with your water heater.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

wmtire's info will help you a lot.

Just to touch on your switch question...
The water heater switch is for the 120v side of your water heater. (there may be one outside too)
The tank heater switch is for the holding tank heating pads. it would be used in cold weather when you would expect below freezing temperatures.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Team

The tank heater on my unit has nothing to do with heating water. It turns on electric pads attached to fresh, gray, black tanks.

You'll have to tell us if you have an Atwood or a Suburban water heater. I assume you have an Atwood. Give us the model number of your heater.

Tell us what you mean by "unless propane is hooked up". On most units, propane is always "hooked up".

A water heater with an electric heating element in good repair will heat using electricity. That's why we need to know which water heater you have.

Welcome to the forum.

Edit:
Doh........ once again, I type too slowly.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
wmtire's info will help you a lot.

Just to touch on your switch question...
The water heater switch is for the 120v side of your water heater. (there may be one outside too)
The tank heater switch is for the holding tank heating pads. it would be used in cold weather when you would expect below freezing temperatures.
Assuming it's all OE/factory, If the OP has only one switch to the water heater inside the RV, then it's going to be only to his 12 volt DC propane/dsi....as well as be a Suburban brand (Atwoods have two switches inside)

A Suburban SWDE model water heater has the electric heating element switch on the face of the water heater, assessed from the outside.

A Suburban SWDEL is the same as the SWDE, but it also has a switch inside for the electric heating element (total of two inside switches) as well as the switch on the face (three switches total...2 for the electric, one for the propane/dsi)

Most likely the OP has the SWDE model, if he has the Suburban and it being a 2007 model.

All explained in the FAQ link in post #2.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Roger that wmtire.

I put 2+2 together when he asked if it would work on 120v, mentioned the two switches inside and also mentioned he already knew it worked on propane. (assuming he knew how/what the propane/DSI switch did)

I should not have assumed.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhenson View Post
Good afternoon all. I just purchased a 2007 Signature Ultra Lite. I have no hot water unless propane is hooked up. Will the water heater not work while plugged in to electricity? Also, there is a water heater switch and a tank heater switch. Should both be turned on all the time?
5picker had the answer. Now, if you're camping "primitive" (with generator in summer) you need to turn off the switch outside in your water heater unit. At this point, your water heather will work with propane.
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #8

Looks like everything in my RV is Suburban. I found the black switch used to go between propane and electric. It is currently in the "on" position. I tried to switch to "off" and the switch seems stuck. I didnt want to press it too hard in fear of breaking it.

With the switch in the "on" position does that mean the water heater is using propane or electric? My thought is propane because when the bottle was shut off thinking it was using electricity, the water would not heat up. When I turned the propane valve "on" the water heated up.

I will be living in my RV for a bit on a friends property that has complete hookups. I want to run on electric for sure. Please advise.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Brian,
We have had several reports here that the switch you are referring to has melted and burned out. That is probably why you can't move it.

Do you have a meter and are you able to do some basic electrical tests?

EDIT:
Also, these units are designed to be able to use BOTH electric and propane at the same time. (faster recovery)

Having the electric switch on doesn't mean the propane can't be used too.
If the electric switch is on but the propane switch off, it uses electric.
If the propane switch is on and the electric switch off, it uses propane.
If both switches are on, it uses both.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #10

I have a meter and can test the switch. Does that mean i have to pull the switch? Also, this propane switch you are referring to, are you referring to a switch near the bottle?
Old 11-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhenson View Post
Also, this propane switch you are referring to, are you referring to a switch near the bottle?
He's referring to the DSI switch that ignites the propane. This switch is inside your RV. It's all explained in the very detailed FAQ link in post #2.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

wmtire posted a link in one of his first posts that included a wiring schematic for the 120v side of the water heater. If you can follow the schematic and do basic electrical tests you should be able to easily tell if the switch is bad or if the element has possibly burned out.

My experience has been, the switch melts because the water heater was turned on (using the 120v electric side of operation) without sufficient water. The element gets crazy hot, draws too many amps, burns out and melts the switch.

The propane switch I referred to was the one you referred in your very first post when you mentioned this... "I have no hot water unless propane is hooked up."

For you to have hot water on propane you must have turned something on??
That, would be the propane switch.
Often referred to as the Gas/D.S.I. switch.

Tags
electric, gas, heater, water, water heater