Old 11-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Water Heater Switch Change

I was surprised to find the only way to use the water heater on electric with my new 2012 Wind Jammer 3001W was to go out side. I looked through the manual and could not find how to run the unit on electric. I finally found the switch hidden in the lower left corner on the exterior behind the access door.
I would think they would have wired a switch on the interior control panel next to the existing water heater switch.
I went under the sink cabinet and removed the panel covering the back of the heater. I found they plugged the heater into an outlet mounted on the cabinet frame work.
I turned off the breaker and cut the wire going to the outlet and installed a junction box near the same location. I cut a hole under the electric outlet on the right side of the oven door and mounted a retrofit box in the hole. Then I ran a wire to the to the junction box and wired the outlet so that when I installed a lighted switch in the retrofit box it would turn on the water heater. I wired the switch so that when the switch is in the on position the indicator light shows the water heater is on with electric.

The cost was minimal and the project didn't take very long. Now I can stay warm, dry and turn on the heater Regards Frank

Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #2
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglelover View Post
I was surprised to find the only way to use the water heater on electric with my new 2012 Wind Jammer 3001W was to go out side.
I suspect that it's the way it is due some human engineering as opposed to HWT engineering. Burning out the electrical element due to no H2O in the tank is reportedly a common faux pax and having to weed your way into the lower left corner of your Suburban HW heater and in some cases remove the safety pin, could prompt users to ponder the steps req'd to ensure that we're GTG.

)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #3

strip

I plugged a utility outlet strip into water heater outlet and then plugged the water heater into the strip voila a lighted on -off switch for the water heater in my cabinet..OH yea my POS switch onthe outsde is stuck in the ON position..
4:10 rearend - Roxy the puppy when allowed.
41 Days camped in 2011 and counting.
rbarrieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There's usually a separate breaker in the main control panel for the water heater. I leave the on/off switch inside the water heater panel on and power it on and off with the breaker in the control panel.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Water Heater Switch

Dave & Monica: LOL thats a great idea. I guess I got a bit anal when I thought about going outside and all I could think of was how to fix it. Oh there are times I make things hard on myself. Regards; Frank
Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
The Old Man

A great mod. I did the same thing...here's a post about it with pictures:

Water Heater Switch with Power-on Light

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote