Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

water in awning

2012 rockwood signature lite 8315bss.
When it rains and I open awning there is water right through awning and water runs out the tube ends,
Awning is covered with shield so how is water accumlating in awning and tube ?
ruggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #2

I could answer "Why is grass green" ? easier than how does all that water get in an awning. I don't have a shield, but it is amazing how much water gets trapped in there.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

Could be one and many things. Gutters are clogged and water is running over into the awning, Rain hitting the end s of the rolled up awning is collecting water when it rains, i.e. wicking up through the ends, etc. etc. Shields are more for sun screening the awning from UV than anything else. Any thought it's going to keep the awning completely moisture free is misguided.

I open mine any time I'm at home and it's not too windy and I'm going to be around to make sure conditions don't change (I store my camper at home). Cutting the grass, washing the truck, out in the front yard, I extend it to let it dry out. Seems to reduce the amount of mildew I see on the awning and make me scrub less when I wash the camper and awning. Never do I open it without some moisture on the underside and topside and yes, sometimes I have water running out as it extends.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #4

does your awning roll under or over the awning tube when closing?

If running under I could see how rain would collect into the awning roll... mine rolls over the top of the tube effectively sealing the top edge

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, water