Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 02:59 AM   #1

Water not flowing from FW tank (pump is OK)

I need help diagnosing a water problem - i'm not getting water flow from freshwater tank. (tank is full) Everything works fine on city water, but no flow from freshwater tank. Pump checks out fine. (tested drawing from a bucket). The valve upstream from the pump is selected for the fw tank and not the winterizing inlet. i think I have checked all the obvious things. The pump runs continuously but only provides a trickle to the faucets. The downstream water filter does not fill. Seems like the pump is sucking air rather than water...

I think the problem has to be between the changeover valve just upstream from the water pump and the fw tank.

Is it just a hose or is there something else in line? (like a join that may have come apart?)
How can I find the exact location of the connection where it goes into the fw tank? (if I had to cut into the underbelly sheeting)
Is it possible there could be a clog in the tank itself or a rupture in the line (there are no obvious water leaks)

Has anyone tried to pressure test something like this - how?
Any ideas on how to diagnose this further would be most appreciated.

Ray
2014 5er Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8285IKWS
Old 03-28-2018, 04:42 AM   #2

It does sound like sir is getting in somewhere. I had a similar problem on my old Wildwood with no water pressure.

I disconnected the intake hose at the pump and blew air back to the freshwater tank and listened for bubbling in the tank.

Turned out I had a clogged metal permanent filter that I couldn't see that was tucked up behind the pump.

Good luck!
kdp1897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Another thing to try is take the fill cap off the fresh water tank inlet and see f it gets better. That would eliminate the tank vent as a possible problem. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:03 AM   #4

Problem solved

I thought I'd post the solution - even if it is hard to believe. My model has an external hose attachment for winterizing and a valve just upstream from the pump to select the winterizing inlet. After testing the pump drawing out of a bucket (worked fine) I though i would try drawing through a longer hose and see if the pump could still draw strongly enough. i connected the hose to the winterizing inlet and put the other end in the bucket (this time on the ground) and selected the valve to the winterizing inlet. It pumped just fine with decent pressure to the shower head. Wow! Everything then pointed to so a blockage in the tank or hose from the FW tank. I reconnected everything, switched the valve back to the FW tank and lo and behold everything works. i had previously operated the value several times just to check it was fully on ...

So all i can conclude is that there may have been an air leak through the winterizing valve but with water present in the line it all works just fine now. The RV has always lived in mild weather and probably never winterized. I'm wondering if that is somehow related.

Cheers - thanks to those that chimed in with ideas.

Ray
Old 03-30-2018, 05:32 AM   #5

We took our new 34RE for the maiden voyage this week.

Every new situation was a Chinese fire drill!

Had the same issue! No water from the storage tank.

One of the bypass valves was closed.

Rained heavenly for five days until we experienced breaking camp in the rain.

Camping at its best!!!!

All was not lost. Food was great, the beer was cold and mom did not run out of gin!

Our new fifth wheel worked nearly perfectly. Except the radio and tv will not talk to each other. Could be operator error.

We even got our wifi antenna and router to work. We could stream music and utube for the most part from the campground system. Eureka!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray333 View Post
I thought I'd post the solution - even if it is hard to believe. My model has an external hose attachment for winterizing and a valve just upstream from the pump to select the winterizing inlet. After testing the pump drawing out of a bucket (worked fine) I though i would try drawing through a longer hose and see if the pump could still draw strongly enough. i connected the hose to the winterizing inlet and put the other end in the bucket (this time on the ground) and selected the valve to the winterizing inlet. It pumped just fine with decent pressure to the shower head. Wow! Everything then pointed to so a blockage in the tank or hose from the FW tank. I reconnected everything, switched the valve back to the FW tank and lo and behold everything works. i had previously operated the value several times just to check it was fully on ...

So all i can conclude is that there may have been an air leak through the winterizing valve but with water present in the line it all works just fine now. The RV has always lived in mild weather and probably never winterized. I'm wondering if that is somehow related.

Ray
I had that exact same problem! I was going to tell you to check that valve but I see you found it.

Thanks,

Alan
Old 03-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
We took our new 34RE for the maiden voyage this week.

Every new situation was a Chinese fire drill!

Had the same issue! No water from the storage tank.

One of the bypass valves was closed.

Rained heavenly for five days until we experienced breaking camp in the rain.

Camping at its best!!!!

All was not lost. Food was great, the beer was cold and mom did not run out of gin!

Our new fifth wheel worked nearly perfectly. Except the radio and tv will not talk to each other. Could be operator error.

We even got our wifi antenna and router to work. We could stream music and utube for the most part from the campground system. Eureka!
Sounds like you guys had a blast! Don't worry- things will get better. Try to have a good time next time!
RangeMaggotBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Sounds like you guys had a blast! Don't worry- things will get better. Try to have a good time next time!
Nice photo Bob !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:28 AM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Nice photo Bob !!!
He looks like a dental floss tycoon
Old 03-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
He looks like a dental floss tycoon
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray333 View Post

Ray
Glad you got your situation under control.

Just for reference, we've had several reports on this forum of those valves going bad.

Many have reported the stem of the valve breaks from the handle. It seems like it is operating ok (internally) but in actuality, nothing inside is turning. (or barely turning)

Maybe if your stem broke at an angle, it 'caught' enough to finally turn into the correct position.

Then again, it may have had a small piece of debris that finally cleared.

In any case I hope it continues to work for you.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, tank, water