Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Water shock question

I want to clean the potable water system. I have read on the forum a little about using pool "shock" or chlorine. I have "spa-shock oxidizer" by spa guard. It says it is non-chlorine. Is this the same stuff?
__________________

__________________
philandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
2Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 459
Pool shock is chlorine. The fresh water tank is only xx gallons. A jug of bleach should do you as well. When we had a pool I would pour in 2 packets of pool shock for 20,000 gallons. It is quite concentrated. Seems like too much.
__________________

__________________
***** ***** *****
2011 Georgetown 320DS new June 2010
days camped in 2010: 61
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by philandkara View Post
I want to clean the potable water system. I have read on the forum a little about using pool "shock" or chlorine. I have "spa-shock oxidizer" by spa guard. It says it is non-chlorine. Is this the same stuff?
That is considered a "non-chlorine" shock or MPS. It uses the chemical Potassium peroxymonosulfate for oxidizing the water. I'm not sure if that will work for this kind of sanitizing purposes...

What people on here have talked about is chlorine based shock. You want something that contains one of these big names... Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione or Calcium Hypochlorite.

A small resealable container for a SPA is the most convenient. Then to clean your tanks substitute 1-2 TBSP of shock for liquid bleech. Then if you ever have suspect water you can add 1/4 tsp to be safe.
__________________
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks so much for all of the information. I have the chlorine as well so I will use that. Haven't had any problems, but just want to make sure we don't.
__________________
philandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BigDTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 771
I would use house hold bleach, not pool products. Not sure what else is in them and they are not really intended to treat drinking water.

Clorox works good!
__________________
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
RV Newbie
 
buzzards27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading
I would use house hold bleach, not pool products. Not sure what else is in them and they are not really intended to treat drinking water.

Clorox works good!
The shock is better than Clorox or bleach. There is other "stuff" in bleach that are not good for you. Bleach is primarily a cleaning product whereas shock is meant for human contact and even possible ingestion. If you check any "survivalist" websites, shock is the go to product. By shock, I mean the product with the long name Brianb cited.

FYI, bleach has a shelf life of a year or so, shock has a 25 year plus shelf life.
__________________
2005 FR Lexington 210 6.0L 8500 miles
2007 2500 Silverado Ext. Cab, 6.5' bed 5.7L
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
I would use house hold bleach, not pool products. Not sure what else is in them and they are not really intended to treat drinking water.

Clorox works good!
Well neither is meant for direct human ingestion. Both contain chlorine and other carrier ingredients. I used to do the bleach but it was a pain to wash out, messy, affected water taste, and can stain fabrics.

I have had pool water in my mouth and unfortunately up my nose more times then I can count and so far I have survived..
__________________

__________________
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.