Old 06-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #41
When we bought out SPA a few years back,,, we were told to NOT fill it with Soft Water,,, now you say they make a water softener for hot tubs ???

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #42
I have posted about this before (a few days ago).

I have used the Geo-Method for years with Great Success.

Prior to hitting the road to next site : When I have flushed all my holding tanks ..That is when I will use the Laundry detergent , Powder Calgon and sometimes a dash of Bleach with a few gallons of water in each of the holding tanks. It will slosh around while moving to the next site and do it's job. I have never tried the liquid Calgon , can't comment on that.

Between Flush's of the Holding Tanks at the site: I will only add the cup of 'powdered' Laundry detergent (cheapest on the shelf) along with a few gallons of water. This will help keep the odour down and add some slip down the pipe during drain time.

Prior to heading home: Flush / Drain all Holding Tanks.... leave them dry for any periods you have the RV laid up.

Water Tank: Never Use Calgon Or Soap in the Water Tanks. I do not use our water tank to drink from, even though our 5th wheel has a filter system (cartridge out of housing) , we still prefer to bring home filtered water and when that is gone we fill our jugs at the store. For the first trip of the Season I will Bleach the Water Tank. Fill the water tank about 1/3... then I add about 2 cups of bleach.... fill the tank full...let it sit for a day...then drain - rinse - drain and rinse again. Yes, it is a waste of water but our water tank is 'clean' and fresh.

I have never tried fabric softener ...I think they are quite different but may provide fragrance ...don't know if it would provide the 'slippery' factor.

I don't know how the 'salt' came into the thread.

Can't comment on using hot tub product to soften the water...different purpose.

Hope this helps.

'07 WildCat 30 RLBS ~ West Coast Edition ~
Trail Air - Tri Glide Pin Box
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 Diesel Lariat 89k miles
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #43
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
When we bought out SPA a few years back,,, we were told to NOT fill it with Soft Water,,, now you say they make a water softener for hot tubs ???
They have had it for years (Soft Swim & Baquacil) they have (Soft Products) for (Pools and Hot Tubs)! We used both for 20+ years,then converted to (Salt Pool) and gave the Hot Tub away! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #44
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Only place I found it @ our local Meijer store was in the Pharmacy,,,
In the Bath Isle ??? There was nothing in the laundry Isle ???
You sure you didn't buy the very expensive,Calgon Bath oil?
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #45
7 Year Class A RV'er
If you can't find Calgon Water Softener in the store, Amazon Prime has it pretty cheap.
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #46
Why do people feel this is more advantageous than the blue Aqua-Chem or the Orange chemical?

I find the blue stuff works well with keeping the smell down. The Formaldehyde in it works well.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #47
I just installed a tank flush in my black tank and before I did I used Dawn dish soap and hot water down the tank. When I did cut the hole in the tank I used an inspection camera to see how clean I got it. Got most of it clean, after installing the tank flush I ran it for about 5 min with some more dawn and I see that what hadn't come out did. I have used the orange stuff on a regular basis but when I went to add it to the tank and opened the toilet to dump it all you could smell was Dawn dish soap. Guess this means I got it cleaned.
Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #48
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I remember reading a thread that recommended using water softener in the Blackwater tank to keep things from sticking to the side of the tank. The thread made a lot of sense so I picked up a bottle. My problem is I can't find that thread now. I don't remember how much they recommended using, just that they recommended mixing it with a few gallons of water before you leave to go to the campground. That way it will slosh around on the sides and lubricate them.

Can anyone tell me how much they use, what the mix is?

My Flagstaff had a problem draining. I tried several times. I used the GEO method and it did help some. See, the toilet downspout to the tank is curved and get paper trapped there. Additionally, the valve area is questionable. I haven't removed the valve and checked the tank (yet) but after running a snake from both ends on more than one occasions I decided after a through flushing (1 hour) what the heck and started dumping a complete bottle first of Calgon softener. Wait 10 minuets then add 2 gal of water with two caps of tide, then add the dissolver/deodorizer. Haven't had a problem since. $5.00 is a small price to pay..
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #49
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Was having issues with the black tank not completely emptying, prior to starting a 120 mile trip last week end, filled the black tank to one third, did the GEO and a cup of Calgon as well. Added more water to the black tank as soon as I got o CG. Watched the dump through my clear elbow, WOW the stuff that came through. Tank sensors seen to be clear all weekend. We carry drinking water, for ice, for coffee from home filter water. Most CG in this area have high linme content which effects the water taste bit. Will start using Calgon in tanks as well. Had to go to second Walmart to find Calgon by the water softners!
I went to Acme and they brought it in for me.

07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:10 AM   #50
In one of the dollar stores (I think it is Dollar General or Family Dollar) they sell a laundry detergent called Trend. It has the detergent and water softener together so it's the complete GEO method in one box. We use 3 cups of it in the black tank. The GEO method works great and our tank is clean with less flushing. The crap just slides right on out.

Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote

black, black water, tank, water, water tank