Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #1

Weight Distribution.

I have always weighed our rig using CAT or State scales and was pretty satisfied with the results. However this year I had it weighed at the rally and was surprised at the results.
I found my pin weight is only 17% of the RV weight and my front axle is carrying 1,000 lbs more weight than the rear axle.
The 5th wheel is level when hooked up and rides 6" above the bed rail. I can raise my hitch 1 1/4" and hoping that would help some.
Does anyone have any other ideas that would help?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:26 AM   #2

Pin weight appears to be about right for your model. Using the dry weights from the brochure (1146 pin weight divided by 7268 dry weight= 15.7%). My actual (CAT scale) pin weight on the 8280 is 16.1%. Adding more cargo would increase the pin weight as all the storage is in the front. That would likely also increase the front axle weight somewhat. I wouldn't fret over your pin weight as long as it pulls/rides good.

Raising your hitch one hole will transfer some of the weight to the rear axle. That would be worth a try. But you would have to reweigh under same conditions as prior to really know. One of the goals is to have your 5th wheel level as you state it is. That helps to equalize the weight even between the two axles and gives a more aerodynamic pull as compared to having your 5th nose high. So, it will be a balancing act between maintaining a fairly level RV and shifting some weight to the rear axle. My priority would be to have a level trailer and let the axle weights fall where they may.

Was the weight taken at the rally done under similar circumstances as when you weighed yourself at CAT scales? i.e., holding and supply tanks similarly full or empty?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the response.
I posted a second comment, but it looks like it didn't take so I'll try again.
I wasn't too concerned about pin weight, but surprised at the percentage. I noted the weight for information purposes because I felt someone would ask. I am more concerned about the axle weight differential. Since the front tire are carrying so much more weight I felt they may be subject to more shock from road defects and more likely to have a blowout than if the weight was more evenly distributed.
This weekend we'll be at our daughters and will raise the hitch. I'll test it on the 300 miles back to Florida. I'll weigh it when I get back there. So far DW has not purchased a lot this trip so it should be pretty close to the same as Goshen weighing. For some reason this thread doesn't seem to be appearing on the forum.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
NELA

I sees ya.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

When you get new tires you may want to consider a "D" range tire. Stiffer with more sidewall plies, and carries more load. My factory tires had were a little over a year old and had 5000 miles on them (one trip out West last year). I didn't have any problems with them but I replaced them this year for peace of mind. I went to a "D" range same size on the stock aluminum wheels. Went with the Maxxis 8008.

Point of this tire talk is that even if one axle is heavier, the "D" range tire is still not over loaded ( 2,540 lbs. each). Stock "C" 225/75R15 are rated at 2,150 lbs. each. However, the axle is rated at 4,000 lbs. and that is a limiting factor. Hopefully, you were not pushing any of those limits.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I sees ya.
I see me now too. When I did a search for me earlier I couldn't find me.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb707 View Post
When you get new tires you may want to consider a "D" range tire. Stiffer with more sidewall plies, and carries more load. My factory tires had were a little over a year old and had 5000 miles on them (one trip out West last year). I didn't have any problems with them but I replaced them this year for peace of mind. I went to a "D" range same size on the stock aluminum wheels. Went with the Maxxis 8008.

Point of this tire talk is that even if one axle is heavier, the "D" range tire is still not over loaded ( 2,540 lbs. each). Stock "C" 225/75R15 are rated at 2,150 lbs. each. However, the axle is rated at 4,000 lbs. and that is a limiting factor. Hopefully, you were not pushing any of those limits.
My tires were five years old and looked good, however I did upgrade to D's prior to our Goshen journey. I am sure glad I did considering some of the roads we have traveled the last few weeks.
My axles weighed 4,100 lbs and 3,125 lbs, front and back. I had an alignment last year which wore one tire unevenly and I wonder now if this imbalance might have contributed to it.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 84 View Post
My axles weighed 4,100 lbs and 3,125 lbs, front and back.
I believe that I would get the combo reweighed. Looks like someone reversed the numbers.

Concerning raising the hitch.....if the trailer is riding level, then that is where the hitch height should be.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight