Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

Unhappy Weird start to the season!

Finally was able to de-winterize the trailer and have some strange issues! On the control panel the switches for the slide and awning now work in reverse, what is labeled as "retract" now extends the slide and awning and "extend" brings them in. None of the indicator lights for the tanks work and the on lights for water pump and heater do not glow when turned on, as before. Water pump switch does turn on the pump. I know I need to replace the electric element in the water heater, but it is not running on propane either. Can't hear any click like the propane is trying to light. The fridge is dead on both Electric and propane, and the AC and furnace are also dead, as is the entertainment system. All the 110 plugs work and the 12 volt lights work. On the plus side, the stove works and the water pump works, lol. I did look at the control panel. No breakers flipped and fuses I can see seem ok. Time for a trip to the dealer. It just seems like such a strange collection of stuff.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Not sure, and would think you'd have other problems, but by chance, did the battery get hooked up backwards?
Seems crazy, but a shot anyways
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Not sure, and would think you'd have other problems, but by chance, did the battery get hooked up backwards?
Seems crazy, but a shot anyways

X2 batteries hooked up in reverse.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

White is ground - black is power +.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe that's it, but how does the "reverse battery protection" feature in some converters work (e.g. WFCO 8900)? I would have thought it would shut everything down.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

having reversed a battery before this doesn't sound like that. When we reversed the battery, we had no power o the outlets in the back half of the trailer but some in the font worked. The AC was out and the fridge was dead on both electric and gas. Radio was out as well. Slide was fine. lights worked, water worked. Don't think we tried the heater. For us, there ended up being 3 fuses out. The converter or is it inverter, can't quite keep those straight) fuse was one, the fuse in the radio was mother, can't remember the third one was. correctly hooking battery up and replacing fuses and we were fine without the dealer looking at it. not sure what is causing your issue. The one that really has me stumped is the reversed slide. Mice playing games and rewiring the trailer?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #7

Lets keep it simple by saying it worked before winter ok.
He probably disconnected ot removed battery so it doesn't freeze.
He hooked it back up and reversed leads. That will still make lights work but he was talking about his slide motor and awning motor working oposite from the control panel switches.

This is a 12 volt problem and not score power problem.
He didn't say a word about even having a convertor for wall outlets.
Lets wait until he returns and get additioanl facts before we blow this problem out of the water with all sorts of problems.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #8

Going to check how DH hooked up the batteries tomorrow I did give him a diagram for hooking them up parallel. (2 12volt deep cycle) Not too complicated, so I did not think to look at that. Of course, there is probably more than 1 thing going on (there always is!)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Site Team

It does sound like something in the batteries was reversed as Iggy and Jtstromburg pointed out, which is making DC powered switches/motors operate backwards. Your converter should have reverse polarity fuse(s) that pops when this happens. You may have also blew some fuses in the DC control box. This will need to all be checked once you determine the battery status.

I'd first check the batteries to make sure they are correct. Besides correct polarity to the trailer, you also will want to make sure they are wired correctly in parallel to each other. Positive to positive, negative to negative.

It would be a good idea to check the batteries charge/voltage now too, to make sure they weren't damaged if connected wrong. I am assuming they were recharged/checked before being reinstalled in the RV?

P.S. For safety reasons when working with batteries, always disconnect the negative terminal first, then the positive terminal second. Do it in reverse order when reconnecting...reconnect positive first, then negative last.

Same rules apply if you ever connect jumper cables to vehicles or such.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #10

Checked the battery wiring and it was reversed. The positives and negatives were wired together correctly, but the red wire was on the negative instead of the positive. Everything seems to be functioning now! Have to go to work, but will check every single thing later!

Once again, I bow to the collective wisdom of the group! Thanks all!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #11

Cool!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Checked the battery wiring and it was reversed. The positives and negatives were wired together correctly, but the red wire was on the negative instead of the positive. Everything seems to be functioning now! Have to go to work, but will check every single thing later!

Most likely you'll need to replace the fuses "2" for reverse battery hookup for converter protection.

Glad u got it !

Turbs
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Everything seems to be functioning now! !
All's well that ends well! Good to hear everything is working again!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

Excellent. Let us know if anything doesn't work once you check out everything again this evening....especially the radio, which can have a hidden fuse, right behind it.

Tina, this isn't something you would ever hold over your husbands head?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Tina, this isn't something you would ever hold over your husbands head?
Huh BET ME!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

No, just cause DH still hears about doing this to our TT (he also still hears about making a projectile out of the water heater drain plug) and I still hear about playing amateur chemist in our black tank. Whatever makes you think anyone would hold silly learning mistakes over someones head?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #17

LOL, I was VERY careful to say "looks like the polarity got reversed". I never start a sentence with "you" when things haven't worked out.

Only thing still messed up is the genesis radio/dvd etc. When I checked the fuse panel the red light was on beside that one. Pulled the fuse and it was fried. Put in a new 15 amp fuse. Turned it on - not good! Lots of crackling from the speakers and a puff of smoke from above the speaker buttons the radio part works in that I can see the volume levels rising and falling on the radio display, but no sound. The DVD player ate a dvd and will not take it in fully or eject it. Win some, lose some! Maybe I will save that to be fixed in Goshen!

But, I am doing the because the water heater element still works on electric as well as propane, so I did not fry it by turning on 110 v power when there was no water in the heater. I was sure it had been left on electric, but apparently not. Note to self - pay attention to original position of switches when you are playing with them.

At the end of the summer I think I will do a post "Things they forgot to tell me and I didn't know to ask."

Tina
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sorry bout the radio......

Good to hear the rest looks to be good.