Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #1

We're ordering-how many fantastic fans?

We are ordering a rock 8280ws. It comes with a fantastic fan in the bathroom but we were wondering if it would be a good idea to get one for the main living area to cool it off at night. We typically don't have hookups to use the A/C. So do we want one for the main area? Thanks
swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have 2, 1 in the rear bathroom and one just in front of the stove. It helps both with bringing in fresh air and also to remove heat and smoke from cooking since our stove exhaust fan is a recirculating type with a filter. I leave both fans in auto-run by t-stat when were out camping if it's not too humid. I would definitely recommend one for the living area as well as the bathroom.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #3

YES! get one for the living area above the stove. These fans ARE truly FANTASTIC!! When you open the windows, and turn on the fan, the breeze is pulled in thru the windows, and out the top, keeping it cool inside. WELL worth the additional cost. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Ours is over our bed.
At night I can reverse it to blow in and down on us.
We've slept quite comfortably on many a cool summer night.
Ours is a Maxxair fan.
It has a shroud so we can run it or just leave the vent open
all year. Even in the hardest roof pounding rain it will not rain
in.
We almost never shut the vent and the trailer never smells stale
when we go in even after a prolonged storage.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #5

We have a Rockwood 8319SS and it came with a power fantastic fan in the bathroom which is in the middle of our trailer, it is 33 feet or so long and we find that the one fan will generate enough breeze. For us one is enough, but then again we are living and camping in northern Canada where summer nights can get down to single digits Cº (about 45º F) so we get more use from the furnace and electric bed than the air conditioner. (Love that warm bed aaahhh).

One word about the other vents, we had hail one night this summer, and it ripped right through the plastic vents, but the fantastic power vent cover was just fine. We've since upgraded to lexan smokey coloured vent covers on the other two roof vents.

BTW the roof and siding took the hail without damage, but the vehicles sustained damage and will take $1000's to repair. Glad we did not go for a tin ribbed sided trailer.

Been thinking about the max-air cover, great if we get hit by hail again (does lightning strike twice?) but the cost was $150 plus installation, whereas the other two vents were replaced for $100 for both plus installation of both.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
We have one Fantastic Fan in our bath, and it pulls enough air for the entire 40' trailer.
Mine does not reverse. I have installed the MaxxAir 800 vent cover. (made for high cap fans) I too, leave the vent open all year without any problems...great design.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #7

Extra fantastic fans are great way to go. I have the rockwood 8272s and have installed one in the living area with reverse and thermostate . I use it all the time. When away just set the thermostat how you like it and it turns on and off to keep the inside cool and fresh. It also helps vent the area when cooking inside. Go for it!!!
rockwood mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood mike View Post
Extra fantastic fans are great way to go. I have the rockwood 8272s and have installed one in the living area with reverse and thermostate . I use it all the time. When away just set the thermostat how you like it and it turns on and off to keep the inside cool and fresh. It also helps vent the area when cooking inside. Go for it!!!
X2. We have two of them. We also found out a neat trick on our last trip. The new Fantastic Fans have screens that are removable. They just pop out without tools. As we were having a problem with lots of small gnats getting in the rig and knowing that they are attracted to light. We turned on the ceiling light closest to the fan, popped out the screen and turned the fan on high and turned off all the other lights. As we sat and watched TV the bugs were attracted to the lights and summarily sucked out of the rig by the fan!

Yes get as many of them as you can afford and have roof vents for.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
X2. We have two of them. We also found out a neat trick on our last trip. The new Fantastic Fans have screens that are removable. They just pop out without tools. As we were having a problem with lots of small gnats getting in the rig and knowing that they are attracted to light. We turned on the ceiling light closest to the fan, popped out the screen and turned the fan on high and turned off all the other lights. As we sat and watched TV the bugs were attracted to the lights and summarily sucked out of the rig by the fan!

Yes get as many of them as you can afford and have roof vents for.
Great idea if you're not a gnat. I wish our screens just popped off. I have the type with 6000 little phillips screws which I always manage to drop on the floor. They're always easy to find because they always fall into the floor register. So then I have two more screws to remove to get to the one I dropped, then I usually get out the vacuum to clean the duct out. I've managed on two occassions to vacuum before picking out the screw so then it's outside to dump the bag, find the screw. You'd think it would only happen once. Well things happen so they say!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, rockwood