Old 10-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
We remove all food items. Dishes, small appliances, pots and pans and our "trailer trash" clothes and shoes stay in year round. Dish soap, toilet chemicals and the like stay year round if in plastic bottles. Bedding and towels stay in the m/h but in plastic totes. Northern Ontario so we know cold!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
We live in Wisconsin and keep our trailer at our permanent campground site near Baraboo. We take out all food items, clean out the refridgerator & freezer and leave open. We take off all the bedding, towels, clothing, etc., and put it in the ziplok bags, remove the air and then put them into plastic tote bins for safekeeping. We also put dryer sheets everywhere we think critters will come in or try and set up camp. After 4 years, we haven't had any real problems.

Toadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #13
what to take out winter storage

We live in a climate that allows us to RV year round, but trailer sits for longer periods during winter. It is stored under cover, but open. Only need to mention one word: RODENTS. If we do not remove anything and everything that has food residue, we have visitors. That includes BBQ's and toasters and any foodstuffs that are open e.g. biscuits etc. We also take towels out of drawers, as they love to nest. Lastly, we spread Bounce dryer sheets all around the interior and outside storage areas, as that is where they like to get in. We only had a problem they first year when we neglected to do all of the above. Since taking these steps, no four footed visitors that we can detect.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
Occasional campers
Remove anything with water

Be sure to remove anything with water. One year I didn't think about a cappuccino machine--water in the heating reservoir froze & it ruptured.
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #15
I take all foodstuff out, including cans. I only leave tea and SweetnLow, since I use the TT in winter as an office/music room/tranquility center/hideout. I sprinkle cinnamon in the pantry in case of lasting food scent or residue, and also put out Osage Oranges. Both are great for deterring insects.

I keep all clean bedding & clean towels in the TT in huge ziplock storage bags from Dollar Tree, but do put back on the quilt and the pillows on the bed sans sheets - mostly to lounge on and not have an unsightly mattress cover. I keep a double sleeping bag in the TT in case I spend the night with a grandkid or two during the winter and we sleep on top of the quilt

This is our first TT with a retractable power cord, so I am going to put wads of steel wool around the cord where it enters the housing. It is also the first with bunks. I have sleeping bag liners enclosing the thin bunk mattresses, and hate to wrestle them on and off so I will keep them on.

I am hoping my ferocious puppy will deter mice since she is in and out of the trailer with me, but since mice are in the sticks and bricks right now, I am just hoping they haven't noticed I have a new condo for them.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #16
We live in SW Pa and store our rig underground in an old limestone mine. Because of the dampness, we remove everything including cushions and mattress and use dripacks inside. It's a pain, but there are never any ill effects of cold, snow or rodents. I still run antifreeze thru the system to keep all the o-rings and seals wet and lubed as my well water wreaks havoc on fixtures. It costs about a dollar a day for the season (5-months).
Larry & Chris (Abbey & Brody camping cats)
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 DC, 5.3 L, 3.73, 4x4
2015 Rockwood MiniLite 2104S, EMS-30HW, Carchet TPMS
Days Camped: 2015 = 51; 2016 = 53 so far with 12 more planned
If you're lucky enough to be camping......You're lucky enough.
beagle22b07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #17
same here pretty much everything stays and put in plastic totes except food paper goods and yes we pull do the remotes out take out batteries but we do leave anything a mouse can not chew up or on and i use plenty of mouse deterrent but with 5- 6 month old kittens and another to pop any day hopefully less mice this year
2012 wildcat sterling 32RL
2013 3500HD DRW Silverado Duramax
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #18
make a list

This is a good time to take inventory of the food that you carry. we take all the food in and use it over the winter. we use the list to do the restocking in the spring. works great for all the bathroom thins also.
rolnshar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #19
Firm believer in mothballs. Scatter them inside camper to deter mice. Been doing it for 20 years and never had a mouse. Granted, they do have their own distinct odor but it dissipates after a while in the spring.
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:14 AM   #20
We remove anything water based and all food. That's it.

2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote

storage, winter