Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #1

What do you take out of TT during winter storage.

This is our first winter with storing our first TT. It will be stored outside at my daughter's house and I'm not sure what to leave in it. I don't know how the mice situation will be so I'm thinking anything that is paper, plastic or food should be taken out. What about bedding, towels, toiletries, batteries in remotes, toilet chemicals, etc? If things are inside cabinets, can the mice still get to it? We had a pop-up for 6 years and kept it outside in our driveway and never once had signs of any mice. I left everything inside all year round, except food products and toiletries. With the TT, I'm not sure what to leave or what to bring inside.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Team

We leave everything in ours, but then we don't really ever quit camping here. We do make sure all food stuff is in plastic or metal containers, and we've never had a mice problem.

Assuming it gets pretty cold where it'll be located, I'd take anything that freezing will harm out, but I probably wouldn't worry about toiletries, linens, etc.

You could always set a few bait traps around under and inside the unit if there's a likelihood of mice.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We leave almost everything but put it in plastic totes.
Clothes bedding etc etc
Food and liquids get removed.
Dishes and such stay.

TURBS
2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
We leave almost everything but put it in plastic totes.
Clothes bedding etc etc
Food and liquids get removed.
Dishes and such stay.

TURBS
2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
Is it ok to leave things in the camper with batteries, like remote controls, clocks etc? We are in northern Indiana so the winters are very cold.
zinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm in Iowa!
Remotes , tv's and clocks etc etc stay in the camper

TURBS
2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #6

We winterize, clean out the frig, take out most food that is not canned and back it in the shed.......
Usually around Thanksgiving.
Then around March we start using it again.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #7

Yep, we leave most everything in the camper and it also becomes out "holding area" for Santa.

When we have made our last trip, usually around Thanksgiving, I bring in sheets, towels, blankets, quilts, all the linens, wash, dry and place in the vacuum bags. Then, they are placed in the master bedroom closet. The vacuum sometimes comes undone, but that's ok.

We have clothes that stay in the camper year after year. They are out "camping clothes"....t-shirts that have seen better days, shorts that have paint spots, hoodies and jackets that are not really pretty anymore.

All the dishes, pots and pans, etc. stay where they were. The canned food, boxed food, etc. is broght in to be used in the house. The staples (flour, sugar, corn meal, etc.) is always in their original bags, then in plastic sealed rubbermaid containers...they stay unless I run out inside the house.

It gets cold here, usually about 0, last year it was -30 without including windchill, but things were fine in the RV in the spring.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
Is it ok to leave things in the camper with batteries, like remote controls, clocks etc? We are in northern Indiana so the winters are very cold.
Cold doesn't hurt batteries (people used to store them in their fridges - slows down the chemical reaction). But I remove them from all devices just in case one decides it wants to leak.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Cold doesn't hurt batteries (people used to store them in their fridges - slows down the chemical reaction). But I remove them from all devices just in case one decides it wants to leak.
I replace the batteries every year.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #10

We live in Ohio. Everything stays inside except food, toiletries, cleaning supplies and anything liquid which can freeze.
RoyandCherryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #11

We remove all food items. Dishes, small appliances, pots and pans and our "trailer trash" clothes and shoes stay in year round. Dish soap, toilet chemicals and the like stay year round if in plastic bottles. Bedding and towels stay in the m/h but in plastic totes. Northern Ontario so we know cold!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Toadman

We live in Wisconsin and keep our trailer at our permanent campground site near Baraboo. We take out all food items, clean out the refridgerator & freezer and leave open. We take off all the bedding, towels, clothing, etc., and put it in the ziplok bags, remove the air and then put them into plastic tote bins for safekeeping. We also put dryer sheets everywhere we think critters will come in or try and set up camp. After 4 years, we haven't had any real problems.
Toadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #13

what to take out winter storage

We live in a climate that allows us to RV year round, but trailer sits for longer periods during winter. It is stored under cover, but open. Only need to mention one word: RODENTS. If we do not remove anything and everything that has food residue, we have visitors. That includes BBQ's and toasters and any foodstuffs that are open e.g. biscuits etc. We also take towels out of drawers, as they love to nest. Lastly, we spread Bounce dryer sheets all around the interior and outside storage areas, as that is where they like to get in. We only had a problem they first year when we neglected to do all of the above. Since taking these steps, no four footed visitors that we can detect.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
Occasional campers

Remove anything with water

Be sure to remove anything with water. One year I didn't think about a cappuccino machine--water in the heating reservoir froze & it ruptured.
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #15

I take all foodstuff out, including cans. I only leave tea and SweetnLow, since I use the TT in winter as an office/music room/tranquility center/hideout. I sprinkle cinnamon in the pantry in case of lasting food scent or residue, and also put out Osage Oranges. Both are great for deterring insects.

I keep all clean bedding & clean towels in the TT in huge ziplock storage bags from Dollar Tree, but do put back on the quilt and the pillows on the bed sans sheets - mostly to lounge on and not have an unsightly mattress cover. I keep a double sleeping bag in the TT in case I spend the night with a grandkid or two during the winter and we sleep on top of the quilt

This is our first TT with a retractable power cord, so I am going to put wads of steel wool around the cord where it enters the housing. It is also the first with bunks. I have sleeping bag liners enclosing the thin bunk mattresses, and hate to wrestle them on and off so I will keep them on.

I am hoping my ferocious puppy will deter mice since she is in and out of the trailer with me, but since mice are in the sticks and bricks right now, I am just hoping they haven't noticed I have a new condo for them.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #16

We live in SW Pa and store our rig underground in an old limestone mine. Because of the dampness, we remove everything including cushions and mattress and use dripacks inside. It's a pain, but there are never any ill effects of cold, snow or rodents. I still run antifreeze thru the system to keep all the o-rings and seals wet and lubed as my well water wreaks havoc on fixtures. It costs about a dollar a day for the season (5-months).
Days Camped: 2015 = 51; 2016 = 59; 2017 = 20; 2018 = 12; 2019 =
If you're lucky enough to be camping......You're lucky enough.
beagle22b07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #17

same here pretty much everything stays and put in plastic totes except food paper goods and yes we pull do the remotes out take out batteries but we do leave anything a mouse can not chew up or on and i use plenty of mouse deterrent but with 5- 6 month old kittens and another to pop any day hopefully less mice this year

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #18

make a list

This is a good time to take inventory of the food that you carry. we take all the food in and use it over the winter. we use the list to do the restocking in the spring. works great for all the bathroom thins also.
rolnshar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #19

Firm believer in mothballs. Scatter them inside camper to deter mice. Been doing it for 20 years and never had a mouse. Granted, they do have their own distinct odor but it dissipates after a while in the spring.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:14 AM   #20

We remove anything water based and all food. That's it.

Bruce

Tags
storage, winter