Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

What should a total roof replacement cost?

Hello, we are the proud new owners of a 2006 rockwood 2603 that needs a new roof! Were not too upset because of the price we paid, but we wanted to get an idea of what the average cost is of a roof replacement. There was alot of water damage rotten wood etc. basically we need a whole new roof. Inspection looks as if walls are ok.thanks !
Vambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Roof replacement, talking either metal or rubber roof is one thing. To repair damage to wood underneath, a whole nother story. May have to to take some of the siding off to get to the top part of the walls to repair/attach the new wood . Just a guess, anywhere from $3000 to $5000 and that could be parts alone, and maybe be more. The rubber material would be $1000 or so, plus labor. Not knowing the extent of the wood damage, hard to even guess, but don't be overwhelmed by the price.

By the way, you got a good deal, so you say. Did the previous owner not have insurance? Or maybe the insurance company wanted to total the trailer due to cost, and now you have a salvage title. Makes no difference to me, just something you might want to check out.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #3

Its actually a repo, so no insurance Claims. We got a quote for 3500 for
The roof. im guessing thats a good price. It was sitting at white lake since 2006 so it was exposed to lots of sun and fun!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #4

Rubber roof lots of rotten wood but gorgeous on the inside!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #5

That is a pretty good price, but I would bet that if they find any damage in the walls, the "estimate" will skyrocket. The big problem is that once they start, you are committed. I sure hope you got it for a VERY cheap price. Good luck, hope they don't find any extra damage.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #6

Wait a minute, is that a tin trailer or a fibreglass-sided camper?
It is mostly aluminum frame, is it not? Are the roof trusses wood? Are there actually roof trusses? Some are just a sandwich of plywood and styrofoam.
May I ask just how you know that there is lots of "rotten wood"?
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #7

we had hail damage on our new rockwood 2306. The hail dented the plywood under the rubber roof. It didn't puncture the rubber, but made the possibility of that happening much greater. The dealer said it would be a mess to try and replace the plywood, so they just removed the rubber and overlayed it with new plywood and rubber. Materials were less than $1,000. Labor was over $5,000. I had 3 similar estimates.
brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #8

the repo company selling it during their inspection noticed buckling in the ceiling. so one of there technicians took off the inside vinyl ceiling and the foam insulation and the luan board was wet and rotten.the rubber roof apparently had a leak. when we went to look at it to buy it that had part of the roof taken off already so we could see the damage.it is an aluminum frame and fiberglass sided. they were selling AS IS of course, so we got it for 3000. Even if we have to put 5000 into the roof or maybe walls we are still way under the average selling price for a one like it. we were quoted 3500 for total roof replacement. i am hoping that there is no damage in the walls but i am guessing they will know for sure when they take the roof off. from visual inspection and "feel" the walls are fine.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #9

DonG it looked like sandwiched luan and foam board insulation.. no trusses that i could see in the area that was removed.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
TeresaInCAL

Had ours replaced after some tree branches ripped the heck out of it. Total was over 6,000. Thank God the insurance covered it.

I think most places will give a little price break if YOU are the one paying, not the insurance.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Gus

Stay away from any trailer with any signs of a leak. You never know what the damage is until you remove the roof or the wall covering. Save yourself a big pain in the A**!
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #12

Could anyone possibly give me an idea of what it would cost to replace the roof on a 2008 Yearling Palomino? Rotted wood from bad sealant. Thanks.
JDSykes is offline   Reply With Quote