Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Hope all this does not scare ya off... its not that bad once everyting is on board...... we as most leave the majority of the stuff in the camper waiting for the next time........ But the first weekend I would not take everything just the esentials listed in the posts.
You will probably be spending alot of your time learning your trailer & how things work & where things are......(& if they work correctly) don't be afraid to ask a fellow camper next to you how something works we have all been there at some point..........

Good Luck & Enjoy........................... You will may a lifetime of memories & new friends.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Wow! There are alot of things mentioned that i didnt even think of. Thanks!

bobmart5705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
Dont worry, i didnt get scared off in any way. im really excited about this and really looking foward to it. I agree to just bring the esentials as most of the time we will be learning the camper inside and out. I definetly will take it for a test tow before i set up, didnt even think of that!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
As 'ttrost65' said if this is your first trailer practice towing it. Remember WIDE right turns.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
As 'ttrost65' said if this is your first trailer practice towing it. Remember WIDE right turns.
Forgetting your toothpaste is one thing; forgetting the camper is back there when turning is a whole 'nuther thing.

Remember it is TALLER than your truck when driving under things (like fuel islands and burger take out windows.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
I just noticed that your up north. How cold is it going to be? You may need pipe insulation for the water hose. I also use a flat insulation to wrap the camp ground faucet. Had one freeze once, althought the hose never froze.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
I'm located in NJ so the weather is always up and down. I dont plan on using it in the winter season but i do know that i need to take all necessary actions to winterize the unit for the season. As far as the towing, it wont be new to me. I currently have a 16' utililty trailer that i use to do landscaping aside from my full time job. Already have a Prodigy brake controller set up and the basics of towing is not a problem for me as well as maintaining it. Now i now that this new tt is twice as long and twice as heavy from what i am used to but im confident that i can handle it. Just gotta take it slow and easy. Thats what makes this forum so great, peoples concerns and help.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
I'd towed a lot of small stuff and boats, no big deal. Then got the big camper - huge difference, some is better (brakes, pivot point) and some worse (seeing anything, wider turns).
Since i had a TV I got a cargo trailer and it's way way easier to deal with. I"d like to add brakes to it.
But you'll find I think a much bigger, heavier, taller, longer, wider trailer is more different than it would first appear.
I'm sure you'll do fine. Just be careful when driving over 'transitions' like into and out of parking lots - well, jersey is flat you may be fine. But those tail dragger bars get a workout around here and my neighbor coming out of a gas station manage to remove his drain hookup plumbing and the dragger bar. You just can't see everything all the time.

Jill & Chris, Wills (14) Evie (11) & Toby our collie (5)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 3
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote