Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #1

Wheel Bearings?

At what point do I need to start considering re-packing the wheel bearings on my 2306? I have two years on them, and about 4K miles.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

I have always heard to repack once a year or 10k miles (not positive on the mileage). I have mine repacked once a year. I never thought about wheel bearings until I had my first boat and I went 2 years without repacking them (not sure when they were done before I purchased it used). One day I was driving and trailer started smoking and when I turned the corner it completely came apart and almost lost a tire. Near disaster.

So I always have mine done every year before our major trip. I believe I have read that its actually worse on your bearings to sit all for several months compared to constantly being on the move.
Nights Camped 2013 - 6 • 2014 - 7 • 2015 - 12 • 2016 - 29 • 2017 - 16 (17 more planned!!)
Charles.maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #3

Now.

My dealer recommends every two years and to NOT add grease through the lube fittings (if you have them). Says he's seen a very large number of blown-out seals and contaminated brakes through over-zealous grease-gun use.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
At what point do I need to start considering re-packing the wheel bearings on my 2306? I have two years on them, and about 4K miles.

Thanks!

You/Members will find that if the Dealer didn't add additional lube to your axles they Only have "Assembly Amounts" in them! So yours should have been checked 1 or 2 times by now! Lots of Members have found their Zerk fittings laying just inside the rubber cap area! Check now or along side the Road, your choice! Youroo!!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

I have one season on mine with probably 2.5 - 3K miles (most of my camping was local). The dealer told me they were good for this season and my plan was put a couple pumps of grease in each wheel before the season starts this year...

Should I have added more grease during last season? I didn't want to over grease them I've also heard of seals blowing out due to too much grease as someone else mentioned...
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Shawn.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
WFD

The time to check them is now!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
Site Team

X2 on check new units. I was amazed at how much grease the initial check used. Fortunately I checked them before the first trip when new. If you do plan on using the EZ-Lube system, Do it on a warm/hot day when grease in the wheels is warm. Make sure grease you are adding is warm and pump grease gun slowly and evenly so as to reduce the chance of blowing out a seal. Do not let anyone use a compressed air grease gun on them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I have a Dexter axles on my FW and the EZ-lube system has the grease pumped to the rear bearing. From there it returns the old grease thru a port in the front side of the hub. You quit pumping when fresh grease arrives in the front port. This is for Dexter axles and the Bearing Buddy's just adds grease to the hub.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #9

thanks WFD and Flybob, unfortunately not too many warm days here in New England this time of year...

As soon as we start to get some warm weather I'll add some grease and definitely before we take her out again...!!

GO PATS!!!
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn.O View Post
thanks WFD and Flybob, unfortunately not too many warm days here in New England this time of year...

As soon as we start to get some warm weather I'll add some grease and definitely before we take her out again...!!

GO PATS!!!
The OP has a Rookwood with Torsion axles and Zerk fitting,does your unit not have Leaf springs and Non greasable axles? Youroo!!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
The time to check them is now!
Agreed! I usually repack mine yearly. While I'm doing it I check the suspension, tires, and brakes. Also adjust the brakes when I'm putting it all back together.

If you do not want to do it yourself, take it in to service shop you trust. Doesn't have to be an RV dealer. Usually you can get repack done for $99 an axle. I just saw a spring special an independent was running here. Good Luck!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #12

I hand repack the bearings and inspect the brakes on our 8289WS every year since new. The first time I did it the RV was 3 months old. Found 2 grease seals had grease leaked all over the back plates but had not reached the brakes. Ever since then I disassemble the hubs clean out the old grease and inspect the bearings every year. Check the brakes and install new grease seals and reassemble. Took delivery 12/13, this year will be the 4th time for the bearing brake and axel ck. Maybe a bit overdone but I feel better about it. The RV gets taken out at least once a month, it doesn't sit still very long. We do between 4K - 5K a year hopefully more this year.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #13

Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to service them before the first trip this year. I have a bearing packer, so I'll do it myself.

Thanks again!

53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #14

Guess I'm repacking my bearings this spring...
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Old 01-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #15

Gotta get mine done this Spring when I have the trailer inspection done for re-registration of the tags.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:02 AM   #16
Just a member

Some general bearing stuff and as regards axles that incorporate grease fittings on the hub:

AL-KO calls it: Ultrulube
Dexter calls it: E-Z Lube
LCI (Lippert) calls it: SuperLube

LCI appears to be the only axle supplier that recommends rotating the wheel/hub to distribute the grease. I recommend that for any of these systems and be very careful when the axle components are cold - even with a double lip seal. I learned this the hard way. And if I may, when the integrity of the bearing assemblies on your new or new to me RV have been ascertained (inspected/replaced, repacked, new seal), and you tow infrequently, it is overkill to be pulling the bearings out annually. If you're feeding the bearings with a steady supply of good lube via one of the aforementioned systems, your bearing inspection/repack interval (my opinion and experience) can be stretched to two, three or four years. I appreciate that many RVs sit inactive for inordinate periods of time. However, if the bearings are adequately packed with good grease, sitting idle for a year and then some will not normally be an issue as regards the performance of said bearings. I've repacked the bearings just once in 32K km on our Rockwood.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Some general bearing stuff and as regards axles that incorporate grease fittings on the hub:

LCI appears to be the only axle supplier that recommends rotating the wheel/hub to distribute the grease. I recommend that for any of these systems and be very careful when the axle components are cold - even with a double lip seal. I learned this the hard way. And if I may, when the integrity of the bearing assemblies on your new or new to me RV have been ascertained (inspected/replaced, repacked, new seal), and you tow infrequently, it is overkill to be pulling the bearings out annually. If you're feeding the bearings with a steady supply of good lube via one of the aforementioned systems, your bearing inspection/repack interval (my opinion and experience) can be stretched to two, three or four years. I appreciate that many RVs sit inactive for inordinate periods of time. However, if the bearings are adequately packed with good grease, sitting idle for a year and then some will not normally be an issue as regards the performance of said bearings. I've repacked the bearings just once in 32K km on our Rockwood.

Good advice, especially relating to temperature. Not all are created equal. Lippert axles are notorious for blowing grease seals when using their Superlube...........it's not uncommon for trailers with Lippert axles to be delivered to dealers with contaminated brakes. Its been a huge issue for Grand Design who uses the Lippert axles. From what I have seen Rockwood uses Dexter's exclusively. I have never had a grease related issue using Dexters EZ lube through 4 campers and quite a few utility and equipment trailers. IMO a lot of things you read about blown grease seals are operator error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The OP has a Rookwood with Torsion axles and Zerk fitting,does your unit not have Leaf springs and Non greasable axles? Youroo!!
Its not exclusive to Torsion Axles, at least with Dexter. My prior Keystone Passport had Dexter EZ lube with a conventional leaf spring suspension.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #18
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
And if I may, when the integrity of the bearing assemblies on your new or new to me RV have been ascertained (inspected/replaced, repacked, new seal), and you tow infrequently, it is overkill to be pulling the bearings out annually. If you're feeding the bearings with a steady supply of good lube via one of the aforementioned systems, your bearing inspection/repack interval (my opinion and experience) can be stretched to two, three or four years.
My dealer said the same thing.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #19

That's ok, I'll still repack mine by hand every year and inspect suspension and brakes. Those ezlube systems (which I have) do work to a point, but you only know for sure if you pull it and look. When I was using the zerk system I found several times when the grease wasn't making it through the bearing. Repacking both axles takes me maybe 3 hours and then I don't have to worry about it at all.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #20

Quote:

That is some sage advice, and a good example of why I'm on this forum. You can always tell when someone REALLY knows what they're talking about, and this guy does. This is how I will take care of my bearings. Thanks for the education!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, wheel