Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #1

Where to apply slide lubricant?

This is my first time owning a TT with a slideout. I have a 2008 Rockwood 8317.

I have read about using a lubricant on the slideout. I have bought the "Slide Out Lube and Protectorant" spray but haven't a clue where to use it?

The slide seems to consist of a square channel with holes and a sprocket that moves the slide in and out.

Any help or photos of where to apply the spray lubricant would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Cooper
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #2

Apply dry lubricant on all sprockets and teeth on the rail. I have an 8314 and I lubricated mine in the beginning of camping season and the slide out works better now then it did when I first bought my camper, it works real well on the steps too.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #3

the slides are very important, they add so much addn room in the trailer. they are an electro mechanical system so it is very important to keep them lubed and seals cleaned.

i use the spray gear lubricant each time i camp, mainly because i dont want excessive rusting of the important drive system to the slide. i lube the rack and pinion drive, slide tubes, and also use on rusty areas around the under side of the tt. it is easier to get to them when the slide is out.

also, apply the other spray lubricant made for the seals after cleaning them before putting your camper away, we also do this each time to keep the seals flexible. dont spray the gear lube on the vinly/rubber gasket seals or vise versa, each spray has a specific function, it is pretty obvious but they come in spray cans that look very similar, so be careful and read the label.

enjoy
Old 04-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #4
Computer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
the slides are very important, they add so much addn room in the trailer. they are an electro mechanical system so it is very important to keep them lubed and seals cleaned.

i use the spray gear lubricant each time i camp, mainly because i dont want excessive rusting of the important drive system to the slide. i lube the rack and pinion drive, slide tubes, and also use on rusty areas around the under side of the tt. it is easier to get to them when the slide is out.

also, apply the other spray lubricant made for the seals after cleaning them before putting your camper away, we also do this each time to keep the seals flexible. dont spray the gear lube on the vinly/rubber gasket seals or vise versa, each spray has a specific function, it is pretty obvious but they come in spray cans that look very similar, so be careful and read the label.

enjoy
hey guys any pictures? i have never lubed mine up. i have had it for a few years too.

thanks!

2019 Coachman Chaparral Lite 295BH

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #5

Jimmy-D,
I don't have any pictures but if you extend your slide out, crawl underneath, you'll see two black metal tubes with holes in the bottom that run the width of you slideout. At the end of these, towards the tt, you'll see a large sprocket with teeth that fit into the holes. This is what you want to keep lubricated. I also use the slide lubricant on the pivot points on my jacks.

Hope this helps.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Arn
Arn

http://www.protectall.com/sollong.aspx
Pretty basic. The underside of mine is enclosed so this is all I do.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #7

slide rails, gear rail and sprocket, not too much , never us any oil based products.
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

I just lubed the sprockets and the slotted bars that engage the sprocket along the 2 bars. Do I also lube the bars themselves? It looks like as it retracts in, the bars slide into a boxed channels so it seems they should be lubed.
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #9

No lub on the slide out rails

In dealing with my slide out issues, I decided to go directly to the manufacturer - MTECH. Talked to the engineer there, a guy named Dave Devon. He emphatically told me NOT to lube the slide out rails or sprockets. As an old aircraft flight engineer I recognized the potential for grit sticking to the rails from travel so I used a dry film lubricate – even that, says Dave is not recommended. Just thought I would let you know what they told me.
schmowie.liebowitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood