Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #1

Which Hitch

I currently am using a Reese Pro 15K with a slider. I used the slider a couple of time when I first bought the fifth wheel but have not used it since. I am looking at two hitches the first is the B&W Patriot Reese R16 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w/ Round Tube Slider - Serrated Dual Jaw - 16,000 lbs Reese Fifth Wheel RP30869 , it has the same head as the Companion but will mount on the Reese rails that are in my truck. The second is the Reese R16 on a slider B&W Patriot 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch - Dual Jaw - 16,000 lbs B and W Fifth Wheel BWRVK3200.

I am not interested in a Pullrite, I just don't want that big and heavy of a hitch.

The Patriot can be had for four hundred and the Reese R16 for nine hundred. The Patriot can be set up rear of center axle or forward of center axle if needed. The Reese is on a round tube slider. What are your thoughts about these hitches. I would not mind hearing about similar units.

Thanks
Jim
Old 01-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I have the B&W companion set up for Ford's factory prep package. I really like the B&W so far.

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

I don't think I have ever heard a single complaint about a B&W Companion. I sure like having a totally empty (smooth and clean) bed, when not using it. It also looks like the heaviest duty hitch made (visual comparisons), but that's my personal observation.

Like any other hitch, hunt around (usually on Craig's List) and you can probably find a good price on one. Our B&W Companion was $600 and had been used one time.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My companion is new enough that the dealers can't hardly get them. Mine fits in the 4 pucks in the Ford factory fifth wheel prep. They are much nicer than the Reese Elite that Ford uses. Just to new to find on Craig's list. Mine was still under $900 new. Just took awhile for the dealership to get the right one.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

I am not actually looking at the Companion but instead the Patriot. Supposedly it has the same head as the Companion but will fit the Reese rails that are in my truck.

Has anybody used the Patriot.

With a short bed truck will I miss the slider even with the Patriot positioned to the rear of axle center? I have not used the slider I currently have since the first couple of times I backed the trailer in my slot at home.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I can't answer your question on the Patriot specifically but I would suggest the B&W just for the head. They work great!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #7

Hitches...

Hello all. We just in the last month purchased our 2010 5th wheel. I've been pulling a 34 foot trailer since 1988. When we made the decision to purchase a 5th wheel, I had to do a lot of research on 5th wheel hitches. I read forum after forum and looked at Youtube videos for installation and specs.

Ultimately I chose the B&W "turnover ball" system with the companion hitch for several reasons...

1. I could install it myself in my 2006 F250 Diesel Super-Duty with no welding or drilling save a 4 inch hole in the bed. My brother and I installed it in a Saturday afternoon.

2. When the "above the bed" part of the hitch is removed, the bed of the truck is completely flat...I just roll the mat back over it. There are no rails to get in the way and rust.

3. I pulled our new 5er from Lexington, Kentucky at highway speeds and NEVER heard one noise from the hitch. It has rubber between the pivots.

4. When removing the Companion hitch from the bed of truck, it comes apart in two pieces with each weighing about 50 percent of the total weight.

The only downside is that a large wrench (torque wrench preferred) is needed to anchor it to the Turnover Ball part under the bed and to remove it. The other downside is that it obviously costs more. Buying all parts off Ebay (with free shipping) was about $1300 including the trailer wiring harness adapter. I figure I spent about $400 more than for a Reese, but knowing what I know now, it was well worth it. The dealer that sold me the 5er confirmed that a better hitch does not exist! Just my 2 cents worth! Frank.
fez111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #8
Always Learning

Fez, it's my understanding that the new Companion doesn't need tools for installation to the turnover ball anymore.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
RKR

X2 on the turnover ball set up. It's a solid setup.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #10

Thanks for responding... I purchased mine the weekend after Christmas 2013. The Companion part has a square bar that fits into the Turnover Ball socket under the bed, and that square part has a bolt that is used to torque down the Companion frame, as well as two U-bolts that also need torqued down. I don't see any way to make this work without a (torque) wrench.

According to B&H, any of 4 other types of hitch adaptors will work without having to bolt anything, but the Companion needs to be torqued down to the bed to keep it from moving.

Pulling our "new to us" 32' FR 8287SS home from Lexington to Detroit was our first experience pulling a 5er. We were fully expecting all of the creaks and squeaks I have been reading about. Surprisingly, the ride was extremely silent. There was a small amount of silent "surging", but no noise. I am very pleasantly pleased with the result of my investment.

Frank from Michigan.
fez111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #11

I have the B&W Patriot in my truck and got for $399. Some assembly required but works fantastic. I did have to purchase a specific wedge for the revolution pin box on my 8289 and with that the trailer turns on a dime with plenty of clearance at 90 degree +. The specific B&W design wedge was $50.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch