Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I am a Ford guy, but I going to have to say something about the 2008 Super Duty diesels.

There was a design flaw around that time period. You have to pull the cab off of the frame to change the fuel pump. Plus, some of the fuel pump gears are disintegrating, messing up the entire fuel system. It is somewhere around a $4000 job to change the fuel pump, due to having to pull the cab off of the frame, cleaing the injectors, replacing fuel filters, and even cleaning the fuel tank because of the return fuel system.

The reason I know this is I have a neighbor who experienced this soon after he bought his used truck. He was lucky.......Ford did the job under the 100,000 mile warranty. Even though he now has a great running truck (with the addition of an expensive tuning chip), he says he is going to get rid of it before the 100,000 mile mark so he doesn't have to pay for the fuel pump change.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #12

urrrggghhh, talk about a design defect ! What were they thinking when they designed this truck Four thousand dollars every 100,000 miles adds a lot to the maintenance costs of that truck ....I have a friend considering one, I will give him a heads up.

MTNGUY, with your permission I am copying and pasting your post to another camping forum.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Proper gearing with an HD truck is very important so if going with a gasser get 4:10's at the minimum and with the new 5 and 6 speed trannies the gearing really doesn't affect your mileage that much any more.
This is a VERY good point and in a used vehicle could be a deal breaker. Unless the owner has the paperwork on the truck he may not even know what the axle ratio is. Until proven otherwise, it would be best to assume the worst 3.55 ratio. A truck shipped with a high ratio axle will give you better fuel mileage NOT TOWING, but a gas truck should have a low ratio 4.10 for better performance when towing,

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
urrrggghhh, talk about a design defect ! What were they thinking when they designed this truck Four thousand dollars every 100,000 miles adds a lot to the maintenance costs of that truck ....I have a friend considering one, I will give him a heads up.

MTNGUY, with your permission I am copying and pasting your post to another camping forum.
That should be fine. I did not anything with a quick search on the web about the problem, so my only experience is what my neighbor had to go through, and what he found out about the problem. Please let your other forum know that this is from a 2nd hand observation.

It will be interesting to see if any members of your other camping forum have a similar experience.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

I had a Chevy Vega once that needed to have the engine pulled to change the rear spark plug. The engine design team did not talk to the chassis design team.

Some smart GM tech figured out how to change it without pulling the engine a few years later by jacking UP the engine and removing the right engine mount, then lowering the engine enough to get a flex wrench in there to remove and install the plug. No idea what his bonus was, but he sure earned it.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #16

Geniuses eh HAHAHAHA
Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #17

Hi Gizzys. I think if it was me, I would keep the F 150 5.4, and put a new rear end gear in there, 3:93, or 4:10- something to that effect, chances are you have a 3:55 gear now. You can also beef up the rear suspension with new HD gas adjustable shocks, and helper springs. That 25 foot ultra lite camper should not be needing an F 350 to pull it! That's why Forest river designed the lite series campers- so that 1/2 ton trucks could pull them. Unless you're trying to climb Mount Everest a lot, these much cheaper mods to your existing TV should and would make a world of difference. (Unless you just WANT a new truck, anyway?) Good luck, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #18

8 Km a day will KILL a diesel really fast. They are not made for that sort of driving. For that matter neither is a gas motor. But for your situation I would opt for a gas motor truck.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Hi Gizzys. I think if it was me, I would keep the F 150 5.4, and put a new rear end gear in there, 3:93, or 4:10- something to that effect, chances are you have a 3:55 gear now. You can also beef up the rear suspension with new HD gas adjustable shocks, and helper springs. That 25 foot ultra lite camper should not be needing an F 350 to pull it! That's why Forest river designed the lite series campers- so that 1/2 ton trucks could pull them. Unless you're trying to climb Mount Everest a lot, these much cheaper mods to your existing TV should and would make a world of difference. (Unless you just WANT a new truck, anyway?) Good luck, Randy
Good suggestions on the final ratio gear change....that is a lot cheaper than a new truck. I have a similar trailer being pulled by an 2006 F150, 5.4 L engine, and 3.73 gears, and it does a good job even in the Appalachians. Even though the new gears won't add to the truck towing figures, it should improve the power to the axle. But 1st, make sure you don't already have the 3.73s

I am not sure helper springs are needed with a properly set up WDH. My truck rides just about level with the trialer hitched up, and the bed loaded for camping. But......I am approaching the GVWR.......that is where a 3/4 ton truck would excel.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
Fulltimer

Send a message via Yahoo to StonewallGene
I had never owned a Ford before but when we went full time we need a bigger truck to pull everything. We now have the F350 7.3 Deisel 4x4. Ours had 200,000 on it when we got it and other than just a few small repairs it has been great. We are able to keep up on the highway and have all the power we need in the mts. We are carring everything we own so it's a big load. Very happy with it.

Tags
rockwood