Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Why I am NOT going to buy a Rockwood!

Last week I was all set to buy either a new Rockwood 8317SS or a Flagstaff 831QBSS. Lucky for me, one of the forum members pointed out to me that my tow vehicle's receiver wouldn't handle the 948 lb. "dry" tongue weight because the "actual" tongue weight of the trailer (including propane, battery and WD hitch) would be nearly 1300 lbs. Sadly, my receiver was only legal up to 1000 lbs. When I asked the two RV dealers that I was getting prices from about that, they both told me "oh, sorry, we missed that"!!! They told me not to worry about it, and to just offset the extra load to the rear of the trailer. When I reminded them that the 1300 lb. weight DID NOT include any cargo below the bed or in the trailer's front storage area (which I figured will be about 500 lbs.) I asked them how can I offset 800 lbs. to the back of the trailer? I reminded them that it would take almost 2-1/2 lbs. at the back to offset every 1 lb. of weight at the tongue because of the distance from the fulcrum, which meant that I'd have to put 2000 lbs. in the back of the trailer just to offset the 800 lbs. at the tongue. They then dismissed me as being "too analytical" and told me that everyone runs with a heavy tongue. Finally, I called and left messages for the Rockwood Rep. and with two of their engineers that were supposedly going to be able answer my questions and solve my problem. I waited for a week with NO call back. Finally I was told by one of the dealers that I had too many questions and that I should either take their word for everything, or they couldn't do business with me. I laughed at that remark, and basically told them to kiss my a##. WARNING: Before you buy a trailer (ANY trailer) make them weigh you tongue with a Scale, and make sure that your propane tanks are full, battery is installed, and you've got cargo in the storage areas. If the scale shows a weight that exceeds the legal limit of your receiver, DON'T tow it, because if you get into an accident because of a failed receiver, guess who the insurance company is going to blame ... YOU!!! Thanks for listening to my rant ... hope it helps you avoid a problem.

James3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Buyer beware!

Caveat emptor.

"If everything seems to be going well, look around, you've obviously overlooked something."
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Hey, when I purchased my trailer the had installed the wrong spring bars on my hitch and the hitch head was not torque to spec!
2013 Prime Time 230 FBS
Days camped in 2013: April to November
Days camped in 2014...about 40
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Agree buyer beware

Spend some time on the board and learn about weights. Make sure your truck is big enough/capacities before thinking of purchasing. Make sure you know how to read the weights full/empty. Make sure you remember to add weight for batteries, propane, front end storage etc. Then make sure on your truck to add for people, fuel, what you are carrying for gear. Start adding it all together then go look at your hitch and truck and make sure numbers add up plus adding for the extras. Yes the dealer may not have been straight but don't blame FR for what happened. As mentioned buyer beware.
Ken and Sandra
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
I absolutely DO blame FR for the problem!

I absolutely DO blame FR for the problem! As I mentioned in my opening statement:

"Finally, I called and left messages for the Rockwood Rep. and with two of their engineers that were supposedly going to be able answer my questions and solve my problem. I waited for a week with NO call back."

If FR wanted to provide me with the facts, they had a week to do so, and perhaps even save the deal. I figure it this way: if they don't have time for me BEFORE I give them my money, they sure as hell won't care about me AFTER.
James3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
Geez- one unreturned call and you're ready to lynch the whole organization! Your post says you left messages, did you actually talk to anyone? And if ya did and you were as snide as you seem here it's no wonder they didn't call you back. Think maybe the guy could have been tied up with something else, been stuck at an Rv show or maybe even been on vacation? Why not try another call and see if there was a reason they didn't get back to you. And would agree, you really found a bonehead for a dealer.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
James3, it looks like you have done your homework, are aware of the limitations of your hitch, and won't let the dealer push you around. Kudos. IMHO, more people should walk away from misinformed dealers.

After 1 salesman said I could pull any trailer in his lot with my F150, I walked away from that dealer.

Maybe try the Rockwood Rep a few more times just to give him another chance to respond ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
James 3, if you were going to that much over your hitch capacity wouldn't you also be over on all weights. As I see it "you got your heart set on the perfect trailer for your family/wants that is larger than you tow vehicle can handle."

Sorry for your disappointment but such is life.
Everett & Joan after 60 years together. 2004 1/2 ton Chevy & 2011 Rockwood 1809S

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
Site Team
Buy the trailer already!!
Then when you find out you can't pull it safely or up any size hill,
go out and get a bigger truck.
It's the American way!
(been there done that......)
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou
Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

I still say this is the best calculator of safe camper size going.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote