Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

Wifi extender

I have a 2019 Rockwood 2507s camper with a sky wifi extender. My problem is I connect it properly to the park wifi and it shows a good signal but my wifi always loses the signal. Does anyone know why? Also when it shows I have 5 bars which is a strong signal but I can't use wifi. Are these crap boosters or is something missing I am not doing. Any help would be appreciated.
sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #2

The problem is that most campground WIFI can’t keep up with the bandwidth demands.

If you really need WIFI you will likely have to go the hotspot or MIFI route. My wife needs dependable Internet access for her work so we need something that she can depend on.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #3

Thks Bob is there another booster I could use with the sky wifi
sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims View Post
Thks Bob is there another booster I could use with the sky wifi
The booster most likely isn’t the issue. It is what you are trying to boost.

It takes a lot of bandwidth to run a campground. Each person usually has has more than one device and they are all trying access the internet. Unless it is a high end campground they just don’t have the money to spend on the bandwidth. It is a common problem. That’s why it drops out.

Have you talked to the campground? Is it multiple campgrounds you are having an issue with.

I’m making an assumption but it is a very common problem.

We opted to by a Verizon MIFI and pay for unlimited data as my wife needs it for work and it is nice to stream a Netflix movie.

If you do a search on the forum there are a lot of threads on this subject.

Bob
Old 06-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #5

I'm not familiar with the Sky extender, but if it's like my Camp Pro or other similar extender/routers, the number of bars you have on your phone, tablet, or laptop is irrelevant because the bars are the signal strength to the extender itself and not the WiFi it's extending.

On my CampPro system, I have to go to the systems settings page, scan for available WiFi, and then connect to one of them before I can use that internet hotspot. Of course, the Sky system might be totally different, but that's how mine works.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

sims - search here for the thread, "Sky3 WiFi ranger not broadcasting?" It contains some information about your problem. Most of it will also apply to the Sky4, which you probably have. Make sure you have updated the firmware, if necessary. In that thread, I detail how to check the actual received signal level from the campground wifi.

Ken
Old 06-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Also keep in mind many campground WIFI systems are designed to 'boot' you off the system after a pre-determined amount of time. Keeps folks from streaming hours worth of bandwidth.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrav View Post

It takes a lot of bandwidth to run a campground. Each person usually has has more than one device and they are all trying access the internet. Unless it is a high end campground they just don’t have the money to spend on the bandwidth. It is a common problem. That’s why it drops out.

Have you talked to the campground? Is it multiple campgrounds you are having an issue with.

We opted to by a Verizon MIFI and pay for unlimited data as my wife needs it for work and it is nice to stream a Netflix movie.

Bob
Is it truly unlimited with no hard caps or slow downs after a certain amount of data is used?
Danieloneil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieloneil01 View Post
Is it truly unlimited with no hard caps or slow downs after a certain amount of data is used?
It is a prepaid unlimited plan. It isn’t uncommon for us to stream a movie from Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu and I haven’t noticed any throttling. We have only been using it a few months but it has been great.

Bob
Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
It is a prepaid unlimited plan. It isn’t uncommon for us to stream a movie from Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu and I haven’t noticed any throttling. We have only been using it a few months but it has been great.

Bob
I believe that PPU data plan promotion is no longer offered.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I believe that PPU data plan promotion is no longer offered.
There was some scuttlebutt about that but I don’t know if that happened.

Bob
Old 07-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #12

I may be repeating some of the info here , so I will apologize ahead of time , to get an idea of what the problem could be is you will need to have access to your user interface for the booster , as was mentioned in a previous comment you are dealing with 2 different signals here , the wifi signal coming into the booster from the campground and the wifi signal coming from the booster going to the device , when the device is hooked to the booster and you are sitting in the coach I would fully expect for you to have full bars , this is when you need to look at the signal entering the booster in the user interface and see how good that signal is , you could in theory only have 1 bar entering the booster and still show full signal on the device , all the booster is doing is helping move that 1 bar of signal that much farther down the road , a repeater if you will , is really all they are.

Then as mentioned is the bandwidth issue think of the bandwidth as a hose and the data as water , you can only push so much water through a hose due to what is called friction loss, same is true with data , depending on how much bandwidth(hose) the campground has available to them and how much data (water) is being pulled through said bandwidth , in this case you could still have good signal strength on the booster and on the device hooked to the booster but it is just really slow and may drop because it just cant simply supply the demand .(Data through the bandwidth).

last but no least is the time out factor , some place time restrictions on their connections also so when you sign in to their wifi and agree to the terms of use and enter the password the timer starts , and once the pre-programmed time is up then chooop your done until you repeat the above process

So Maybe a good test would be would to hook to a good known wifi signal that is not overloaded , like maybe you home wifi if you have one or if you have a hot spot to connect to so you can test it with a know good source of data and see if the problem repeats itself

I am not sure if any of this babbling helped or not , but maybe it was a bit insightful at least .
JerryE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #13

This is the MIFI we purchased and put on a pre paid acct 4 months ago ... as long as we have good cell signal it is great .... no limit no throttle back ... I think it has to be pre paid separate of you cell bill ... not sure if it is still available for the pre paid plan ... https://www.verizonwireless.com/inte...sku=sku3220058
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:

Bob
Sometimes even "high end" campgrounds have the same problem, especially if they are located in remote areas and the local provider doesn't have access to fiber optic feed.

I stayed in a fairly nice campground in Wyoming where the campground operator had to limit each user to only 1 Mb or bandwidth. One of those areas fed by "not so broad - broadband service".

Just imagine what the load is on a campground WiFi when they're full of camping families. Everyone is logged in and streaming their own favorite movie or sports broadcast. Mom, Dad, and 2.5 kids each with their own laptop or smart phone, all multiplied by the number of campsites. Numbers can be mind boggling.

As for me, I carry books to read and DVD's to watch. Lack of Wifi is a non issue for me. If I was working and had to have a reliable connection I'd probably have my own satellite connection.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
This is the MIFI we purchased and put on a pre paid acct 4 months ago ... as long as we have good cell signal it is great .... no limit no throttle back ... I think it has to be pre paid separate of you cell bill ... not sure if it is still available for the pre paid plan ... https://www.verizonwireless.com/inte...sku=sku3220058
Extremely lousy reviews for this right on the Verizon website, but if you’re happy, all that counts.
pkmkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmkaz View Post
Extremely lousy reviews for this right on the Verizon website, but if you’re happy, all that counts.
The issues with the 8800 MiFi system is not relative to this thread since it’s a completely different method of getting to a WiFi connection. And, the entire MiFi prepaid program was cancelled by Verizon on May 20. Only customers who were enrolled in the program on that date can still use the 8800 (or similar 7730), as long as they continue to keep their account current (iow, pay the bill on time).

That MiFi box has issues which have supposedly been corrected by the manufacturer. However, Verizon is upholding its reputation as a scumbag company by not allowing the device fix to be sent out on the VZ network. We can only assume they want the “grandfathered” customers to go away.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #17
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims View Post
I have a 2019 Rockwood 2507s camper with a sky wifi extender. My problem is I connect it properly to the park wifi and it shows a good signal but my wifi always loses the signal. Does anyone know why? Also when it shows I have 5 bars which is a strong signal but I can't use wifi. Are these crap boosters or is something missing I am not doing. Any help would be appreciated.

Ours came with the Sky4 LTE ready. The only problem we have had is the Sky seems to be very vulnerable to handshake disruption. If you lose handshake with the other wifi device it disconnects almost immediately and you have to reconnect. We rarely use it that way for that reason. We have the ATT mobley and leave it on continuously with a power supply. The Sky connects and gives great service under those conditions.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The issues with the 8800 MiFi system is not relative to this thread since it’s a completely different method of getting to a WiFi connection. And, the entire MiFi prepaid program was cancelled by Verizon on May 20. Only customers who were enrolled in the program on that date can still use the 8800 (or similar 7730), as long as they continue to keep their account current (iow, pay the bill on time).

That MiFi box has issues which have supposedly been corrected by the manufacturer. However, Verizon is upholding its reputation as a scumbag company by not allowing the device fix to be sent out on the VZ network. We can only assume they want the “grandfathered” customers to go away.
Too bad it works great and we have not had issues .... we are new to camping and campgrounds but we have been told the WIFI at campgrounds is most times bad that is why we bought the 8800 MIFI ... can anyone say they have good results with campfround WIFI ?? Thanks
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
Old 07-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Too bad it works great and we have not had issues .... we are new to camping and campgrounds but we have been told the WIFI at campgrounds is most times bad that is why we bought the 8800 MIFI ... can anyone say they have good results with campfround WIFI ?? Thanks
Yes, we've stayed in a handful of campgrounds where the wifi was good and we were able to pay extra for extra bandwidth. This costs the campground considerable money and I would never expect it as part of my daily rate.

We've stayed in far more places where the campground's owner(s) hadn't a clue about wifi.
As society becomes more dependent on technology, the campgrounds are going to need to step up or be left out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes, we've stayed in a handful of campgrounds where the wifi was good and we were able to pay extra for extra bandwidth. This costs the campground considerable money and I would never expect it as part of my daily rate.

We've stayed in far more places where the campground's owner(s) hadn't a clue about wifi.
As society becomes more dependent on technology, the campgrounds are going to need to step up or be left out.
Yep .... my next door neighbor just got back from Fort Wilderness yea 30 day stay in his 5th wheel and he said if you get in the wrong spot it does not work there either ... but he did plug in the cable