Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #1

wifi signal booster

Just spent a week in Hatteras NC, beautiful weather great campground ( Camp Hatteras ) . The only problem was the wifi signal was intermittent . There are wifi antennas throughout the campground, they appear to have it covered well. You could hook up to wifi, then it would drop signal. The wifi at the clubhouse was great. I believe the campground is really doing its best to provide a signal, but they admit it comes and goes. Is there some type of wifi signal booster that is reliable that can be used inside the camper. The cell phone works great but I have a low data package and prefer to use their wifi instead. As always thanks for any advice.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

Yup they are out there.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #3

Hi Chuck,

Short answer: Check out Technomadia.com

Longish Answer: Most campgrounds - especially if they are in a rural area can only subscribe to a "Homeowners" Internet Package - or at best maybe a "Small Business" package. If it is just you and 2-5 other RVs in the park, the internet should be great. Problem is, when other folks move in and start using bandwidth it will bog down proportional to usage (and the Camp Hatteras CG I know of has 400 sites! )

A good analogy here is imagine if the campground hooked up the camp water supply to their garden hose. GREAT water pressure when it is you and 2 others. ZIP water pressure when 20 more folks move in

Now to the next issue: WiFi Signal Booster. I have one of these (WiFi Ranger) and swear by it. It is great for a local VPN and I have Persistent WiFi in our Coach and around our campsite. It is great for pulling in weak signals - it will NOT, however, make a overloaded system work better.

Since you mentioned your own cell carrier as WiFi, 2 suggestions: take a look at a Cell Signal Booster (I recommend the WeBoost 4GX RV) and a trip to your cell provider for a plan change.

As of earlier this month, every major cell carrier (Verizon/AT&T/t-mobile/and...Sprint(gag!) offer "Unlimited" plans at a price point that should be reasonable for most folks (@$70/month) There are catches, but most plans offer you 22GB of data before you are "Network managed" (NOT Throttled) and 10-ish GB of tethered data (i.e. use your cell phone as a hot spot).

For more information I do invite you to check out technomadia.com - these folks make a living evaluating internet plans and hardware while fulltime RVing
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply's. I was just trying to get the "free " wifi . I should probably contact my carrier ( Verizon ) and increase my data package and use my phone for a hot spot.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

I use the Camp pro WiFi by Alfa. Very reasonable price compared to some of the other options and pulls in those weak WiFi signals. But as noted above it does not improve bad Internet sevice only improves the signal.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #6

Not the answer you were looking for but we just spent a week at Ocean waves CG down the road from where you were and the wifi was great all week. Change CG next time HAHAHA!!!
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #7

All it takes for the camp wi-fi to bog down is that one goofball, or dozens, who feels the need to stream videos. Chokes it for all the users.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Hi Chuck,

Short answer: Check out Technomadia.com

Since you mentioned your own cell carrier as WiFi, 2 suggestions: take a look at a Cell Signal Booster ([COLOR="Red" I recommend the WeBoost 4GX RV) and a trip to your cell provider for a plan change.[/COLOR]
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but a quick question regarding the WeBoost 4GX RV booster ... is this "portable" in that, could we use it in our RV and then easily remove it to use it in a cabin?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #9

We use the Alfa booster tube and the Alfa R36 repeater. Works great and reasonable price.

Marty
Old 04-28-2017, 05:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengirl View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but a quick question regarding the WeBoost 4GX RV booster ... is this "portable" in that, could we use it in our RV and then easily remove it to use it in a cabin?

No, it is a permanent installation. The antenna mounts on the roof or for an additional fee you can get a ladder mount for the antenna. The inside desktop Antenna is meant to be moved around the RV as necessary to boost your cell devices.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
No, it is a permanent installation. The antenna mounts on the roof or for an additional fee you can get a ladder mount for the antenna. The inside desktop Antenna is meant to be moved around the RV as necessary to boost your cell devices.
Thank you. I appreciate the info.