Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Question Wind Collapsing Bow on 2011 MiniLite

The bow of our 2011 Rockwood MiniLite etc 181 collapses from wind pressure if we exceed 50 mph and/or when a blunt-nosed truck trailer combo passes us head-on. I'm afraid the fiberglass and gelcoat will eventually crack if I don't brace it from inside. Has anyone had a similar problem, and how did you remedy it?
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #2

do you have pictures?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Can't take a picture when driving and don't have a wind tunnel to do a static display.
But the bow simply caves inward several inches toward the center and leaves a crease on the interior that is visible when the Murphy bed is lowered.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #4

We see fifth wheels here and there as we travel with the same problem. Seems as though the front cap is not braced properly. I know our old one was rather thin.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #5

Collapsing Bow on ETC 181

I had a ETC 181 but never had the bowing effect. Does the bow stay in when you come to a stop? Always towed below 65mph. Perhaps length of 1x1 fixed across the bow area inside would stop the deflection.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

Some early model 5ers had a half of a styrofoam ball glued to front wall. That was on the TPO front shells. Best fix for the thin fiberglass front shells is to remove she'll and glue a two inch polystyrene sheet to the inside. It takes about 4 hours and you can be sure the front cap is sealed well.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #7
HikerBob

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschoono289 View Post
I had a ETC 181 but never had the bowing effect. Does the bow stay in when you come to a stop? Always towed below 65mph. Perhaps length of 1x1 fixed across the bow area inside would stop the deflection.
The bow doesn't stay in when at a stop, but the flexing has weakened its ability to stay formed as it was when new, and the creases on the inside are getting worse. I'm exploring the possibility of forcing two 4" wide strips of 1/4" plywood into the bow vertically about 1/3 of the way from each side and bracing them at the top and bottom against the frame of the unit. That would eliminate the need to penetrate the shell, which I am very reluctant to do.
Did you have any other issues with your ETC 181? I've never been able to find out why FR (Rockwood) stopped making this delightful model. It has so many good points, especially for a couple who don't want to have to buy a pick-up truck to tow a trailer. We tow ours with a Lexus RX300, and it's perfect.

Tags