Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #1

Windjammer 2618W ...

Traded out 10 year old 5th wheel in the summer for a new Windjammer 2618W. The wife was tired of all the steps in the 5er. I've been pulling it with a 1994 F250 crewcab with the 6.0L Diesel. I know, I know the 6.0L is a dog but I'm not here to talk about that.

I'd like to get rid of the 3/4 ton and drop down to a half-ton. Specing out the F150 Super Crew with the towing package and the heavy duty payload package the numbers say it's all okay.

I weighed my camper last month with it being partially loaded. The only thing the camper didn't have in it was food and clothes. All holding tanks were empty. It came out to 5.880 lbs.

Anyone else pulling the 2618W with a 1/2 ton? If so I'd like to hear of any problems.

Thanks

Kevin
SpaCityBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Site Team

this is one we've been considering, to move out of our HTT, for more retirement type of travel.
we'll get the theater sofa, instead of the sofa bed or just get recliners and only put the sofa bed in if we have guests.

are you sure of that weight? every yellow factory weight sticker i've seen, on various 2618W's, is over 6000lbs.
even the bogus "dry" weight is over 5900lbs.

i would pull it with our 1/2 ton Avalanche. it would be near its max but should be doable.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #3

Dan: Thanks for the reply. I was surprised at the weight also but I'm pretty I had everything properly positioned on the scales. I'm going to weigh again when we're loaded for a trip sometime this Spring.

We had took out the sleeper sofa and put it in the house replacing it with two recliners.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #4

Windjammer 2618W ...

I do not own this model but the factory weight shows 5985 and a tongue weight of 585 pounds. Usually the empty weight ends up being more than what the factory shows. But, if you take their weight and estimate higher and then add "stuff" you could end up pulling say no more than 7000 pounds (strictly an estimate). That is within the range of most half ton pickups.

I will tell you that our 8314BSS factory weight is around 6950 and a tongue weight of around 950 pounds. I pulled it up on the scales and it weighed 7650 loaded but no water at all in any tanks. Both propane tanks full. My tongue weight was way over factory listed at close to 1200 pounds which surprised me.

I pull with a 2007 Toyota Tundra with 5.7 engine that has a max tow of 10,400. I would never want to consistently pull a trailer close to that weight so I feel like I am right where I need to be. Keep a close eye on tongue weight though. My trailer is tongue heavy and about 250 pounds below listed payload for my Tundra. Mine is now set up right and pulls great. We did a two week trip up into the mountains of Colorado and with considerable wind in the panhandle of Texas and it handled great. Gas mileage sucked in the wind but was very pleased with handling.

You should be plenty good if you are careful in selecting your pickup.

Oh by the way, do not scrimp on weight distribution hitch.

Maybe someone pulling your model will chime in on what they are pulling with.

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #5

And by the way,

The opinions above are mine and are just that, opinions.

Rest assured that there will be others that have different opinions about weight and what they pull with. There are folks on this forum pulling Fivers with half ton pickups. I have seen some of them in camp grounds this past year.

You just have to establish your own comfort level.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-22-2014, 02:04 AM   #6
Aggie Family

Pulling 2618W with F150 Ecoboost - Maxtow

I have a 2618W and my TV is a S-CREW F-150 Ecoboost with Maxtow, 3.73 rear-end and tow mirrors. I have a 4-point Equalizer WDH. This particular package does a great job and the 2,618W is well within the capacity of the new F-150's. My 2618W is a bit heavier (6,340) in part because it is 50 amp with 2 ACs. I used to have a 6,700 lb TT and a different F-150 with 5.0l engine and 3.73 rear-end. The Ecoboost pulls with no 'lugging' down when going up hills, steep bridges, etc. (like my previous F-150 did). I doubt that I will ever pull through any serious mountains, etc., but I think the truck could do more than I will ever ask of it.
Equalizer 4-pt WDH
2ags81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:18 AM   #7

I have heard nothing but good about Ford eco boost. Heard they pull real good.

I watched a video comparison of Ford Eco boost and Tundra pulling a 7000 pound trailer up in Colorado on the highway going up to the Ike tunnel. Tundra pulled good but Eco boost took the prize. Like the guy said, when In the mountains turbo chargers always trump horse power. Turbos make it breath real good......

Old 12-22-2014, 04:08 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaCityBulldog View Post
Dan: Thanks for the reply. I was surprised at the weight also but I'm pretty I had everything properly positioned on the scales. I'm going to weigh again when we're loaded for a trip sometime this Spring.

We had took out the sleeper sofa and put it in the house replacing it with two recliners.
what does your yellow sticker say the weight was when it left the factory?

what recliners did you put in? and any issues with them on the slideout, going in and out?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 12-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

what recliners did you put in? and any issues with them on the slideout, going in and out?
Dan:

The wife and I just went down to a furniture store and bought a couple of recliners when we first got our 5th wheel in 2004. We put the crappy swivel chairs that came with the 5ver in the garage. When it came time to trade we removed our recliners and put the original chairs back in. The recliners we purchased were the narrowest the store offered. No wide arm rests like one would normally see on a living room recliner

We bought the 2618W off the lot, removed the sleeper sofa and put it in the extra room in our house. We then put our recliners back in. No issues with the slide. The dinette converts to a bed which is where our son sleeps when he joins us on a trip or my brother when we take a fishing trip.

If I remember correctly the sticker in the TT says the dry weight is right around 5800 lbs. which is one reason I'm surprised of the weight of the TT when I actually put it on the scales.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ags81 View Post
I have a 2618W and my TV is a S-CREW F-150 Ecoboost with Maxtow, 3.73 rear-end and tow mirrors. I have a 4-point Equalizer WDH. This particular package does a great job and the 2,618W is well within the capacity of the new F-150's. My 2618W is a bit heavier (6,340) in part because it is 50 amp with 2 ACs. I used to have a 6,700 lb TT and a different F-150 with 5.0l engine and 3.73 rear-end. The Ecoboost pulls with no 'lugging' down when going up hills, steep bridges, etc. (like my previous F-150 did). I doubt that I will ever pull through any serious mountains, etc., but I think the truck could do more than I will ever ask of it.
2ags81: Thanks for the information. Your TV is exactly the one I've been specing out as I try to decide on a new truck. Did you get the 36 gallon extended range gas tank?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #11

[QUOTE=bikendan;753547]what does your yellow sticker say the weight was when it left the factory?

Dan: Went out to see just what the yellow sticker said and it was 6140 lbs. Surprised since I weighed in at 5880. Looks like I'll need to weigh again. Probably our first trip in the Spring when we're fully loaded.

Does the factory weigh each unit as it leaves or do they weigh a few and slap an average on on the others?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #12

Just got back from first outing with New 2819VS Windjammer. Unloaded weight is 6,239 with hitch weight of 794. Pulled great with 1/2 ton Chevy, with 5.3 engine and 3.42 rear. Of course most roads in North Texas are pretty flat. That V nose sure cuts the wind. Sure do like this trailer.
MKClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
Dazed & Confused

Tow a 3008W, which is a little longer and heavier, with a Tundra 5.7 with no problems, other than the Tundra's smallish fuel tank!
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKClark View Post
Just got back from first outing with New 2819VS Windjammer. Unloaded weight is 6,239 with hitch weight of 794. Pulled great with 1/2 ton Chevy, with 5.3 engine and 3.42 rear. Of course most roads in North Texas are pretty flat. That V nose sure cuts the wind. Sure do like this trailer.
We went through that part of Texas this summer just a month after we got the 2618W to Sante Fe and Taos. After we dropped our son off at the Albuquerque airport (he flew in from NYC for a few days) we went to Lubbock to visit my wife's sister. Flat it is.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #15

While not your particular model, we do tow our 3029W with an F-150 ("egoboost," with a 3.55 rear), Equalizer hitch system... it does great. Pulls like a champ. Marched up a few mountains in Maryland passing cars like they were toys on the highway. With all that said, While we are near my comfortable limits, the truck seems to not care one way or the other. It is difficult to tell there is a trailer behind us! The Ecoboost is an amazing engine! And the F-150 is far more than capable to tow the Windjammers (any model). It really depends on the driver, and how comfortable you are with the weight behind you!
Mobilemikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:25 PM   #16

We towed our 3008W with a 1/2 ton Silverado on the first trip, which took us through the Smokey Mountains at Asheville, NC. The truck did fine on flat ground, but huffed and puffed a little going up the mountains, and felt like it was being pushed a little coming down the other side. Of course, we tend to load the trailer probably much heavier than we should. We traded that half-ton for the Silverado 2500 that we own today.

The biggest single thing that helped our towing with this trailer, however, was to get rid of the load range C tires that came on it. We replaced them with a set of load range E. What a difference the heavier sidewall makes...the trailer handles completely different now. No more "wallowing" from side to side...a much more stable and comfortable ride.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #17
Site Team

[QUOTE=SpaCityBulldog;753890]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Dan: Went out to see just what the yellow sticker said and it was 6140 lbs. Surprised since I weighed in at 5880. Looks like I'll need to weigh again. Probably our first trip in the Spring when we're fully loaded.

Does the factory weigh each unit as it leaves or do they weigh a few and slap an average on on the others?
They're supposed to weigh each one, before it leaves the factory, with the options that were ordered on it.
the only additional weight would be on things added by the dealer, like the battery.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
We towed our 3008W with a 1/2 ton Silverado on the first trip, which took us through the Smokey Mountains at Asheville, NC. The truck did fine on flat ground, but huffed and puffed a little going up the mountains, and felt like it was being pushed a little coming down the other side. Of course, we tend to load the trailer probably much heavier than we should. We traded that half-ton for the Silverado 2500 that we own today.

The biggest single thing that helped our towing with this trailer, however, was to get rid of the load range C tires that came on it. We replaced them with a set of load range E. What a difference the heavier sidewall makes...the trailer handles completely different now. No more "wallowing" from side to side...a much more stable and comfortable ride.
Agree 100%! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #19
Aggie Family

2618W

This particular F150 configuration (157" wheelbase, maxtow, extendable tow mirrors, 3.73, rear camera) is a bit hard to find on dealer lots and the one that I did find (and buy) did not have the larger fuel tank, but there was no way I was going to pass it up. It also had the exact trim package and interior that I wanted - XLT with leather seats and front fixed console. There is a big jump in price when you go up to the 'Lariat'.
Equalizer 4-pt WDH
2ags81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ags81 View Post
This particular F150 configuration (157" wheelbase, maxtow, extendable tow mirrors, 3.73, rear camera) is a bit hard to find on dealer lots and the one that I did find (and buy) did not have the larger fuel tank, but there was no way I was going to pass it up. It also had the exact trim package and interior that I wanted - XLT with leather seats and front fixed console. There is a big jump in price when you go up to the 'Lariat'.
2ags81: I've been looking for this configuration and I agree it's difficult to find it on a lot. I really would like the larger tank. I may have to order. What size box do you have? I'd also like to have the 6.5' box.