Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Pirate Todd and Wench

Windjammer 3008w

My wife and I just bought a 2012 3008w, we pick it up this coming Thursday.
I'm getting a equalizer hitch pretty much just for sway control soon as well, $465 from RVW. Any owners have tips or inputs on the 3008w?
I'm thinking every rig has its differences and little tricks.....better to ask than learn some things the hard way!
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
mrtodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #2

to the "Pointy Nose" club!
Assume you are getting the EQ4 which will give you WD and Sway control. Popular combo. Lots of good advice here. Search for questions.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

During pdi ask questions no matter how fast the try to rush you through!
Take lots of notes ! Defiantly ask how to winterize if applicable for your area.
Ask what switches do what and have them show you specifically how to run all appliances hw heater furnace fridg and so forth.
Ask where the water pump is and the hw bypass valve .
Good luck with your new purchase!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #4

Congratulations and welcome to the V-nose family. We have the 3008 as well and love the trailer. You'll find lots of great advice and tips in this forum. We have the Equalizer hitch as well and it's great. A little noisy but towing is very easy and comfortable with it. Enjoy!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Pirate Todd and Wench

I did go with the eq. 4 point, based on feedback from the forums....thanks. With my weight rating on the truck "5 million pounds" lol the weight was not the issue for me at all. I'm moving back to a hitch from a fifth wheel to haul my golf cart at the same time, without having the ""OVER INFLATED"" prices of a toy hauler to deal with. I've hauled a TT for years and a 5Th for years, and I will miss the maneuverability of the 5Th, but at the same time I'm watching out for sway from the TT. Weight dist, is just an added bonus. I've seen these "friction" type eq. hitches in action at campgrounds and at first you think what the hell is wrong with that guys hitch? lol All the noise is just from the friction of the hitch doing its job....okay with me. I have the walk through and pickup on Thursday and as usual, I don't mention my experience for fear the guy may ovoid something while thinking I already knew that! lol I'm all ears, and all questions on that...no pride! lol
Thanks to all so far in helping me out!!!
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #6

With your experience you probably have "tricks" you can share with all of us. One of the things I really like on the 3008 is the outside pickup for the antifreeze when it comes time to winterize. Flip a valve at the water pump that's already installed and the antifreeze feeds from the outside next to the city water hookup.

Enjoy the trailer and again, welcome to the Windjammer family.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Pirate Todd and Wench

Thanks old car, I'm new here at the forum and really just discovered it while researching the hell out of our latest rig! lol I do look forward to remaining active in the forum and sharing my experience and "tragedies" as well. I just wish something like this was possible years ago, it would have taken the guess work and trial and error out of many things. I noticed the antifreeze feeds...wow, about time huh? lol First time having one of them thar auto-matic awnings as well! lol Love the rig, can't wait for the shakedown!
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
Old 02-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #8

Welcome, we picked ours up last Tuesday and I am still checking it all out. There is so much inside space I can't remember where anything is! Nice problem to have. I wish I would have asked more about how to use the entertainment system. It is really hard for me to grasp how it works. Good luck with that one. I would suggest the added 1 year warranty for $150.00. A lot of people suggested that as a good deal.

Now, being new to the 3008W myself, I have a question about skid rollers. Do we need them? Does any one already have them? Do our rigs drag when pulling into or out of driveways at fuel stations, campgrounds etc? If they are needed any suggestions.

Next item, I am wanting to convert the lighting to LED as I camp where there is no hookups and I don't want to drain the batteries to quickly. I have had nearly no luck finding replacement bulb information. I have ordered a few types to try and will post the information when I find what works.

Again, congratulations on your new trailer. I am very anxious to get mine out for the first excursion. It looks like we have to wait until next month due to other things in the way. Unless I can squeeze a few days in on the coast this month.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #9

Adding rollers will reduce your clearance more. The frame is springy already. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Pirate Todd and Wench

First your lights....take one bulb of each type out and lay it beside the computer. Get a count of them and go online to www.superbrightleds.com and they will have the matching bulbs if you don't want to change the whole fixture. I will do this for the rig as I have done for my Cabin cruiser...went from 11.5 amps to "".08 " amps with led replacements running all lights at the same time. All sizes all colors, intensities and all kinds of colors....I suggest a nice shade of red for the bedroom
I'm curious to see if I'll need skid plates as well, don't like the rollers, they hit before they needed to on my old rig. I weld, so I'll probably just put on a few small "sacrificial" plates near the bumper...check a local weld shop...very easily, cheaply done.
For the entertainment system.....I hear ya brother! I'm letting my wife handle that at our pickup and orientation...she's taking a DVD and an Ipod and we are not leaving till "everything" works. Get back with your dealer when its hitched up again or ask him to show you on a similar model. Around next Friday you can send me a ping and I'll let HER respond if you still have questions. lol
Take care and I think I'm going to love our 3008w.
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #11

So does your Ford F250 SD have a flatbed to haul the golf cart? "5 million lbs" - those are some springs!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Pirate Todd and Wench

No, the ol cart fits right in the back pretty well! lol Our old truck was a 2002 Chevy HD quad with a Duramax/Allison by the way.....damn good truck as well. I love my 250, but I must say I miss that Allison Trans. The 5 million pound towing capacity may not apply to all trucks...see your dealer for details! lol
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtodds View Post
I'm curious to see if I'll need skid plates as well, don't like the rollers, they hit before they needed to on my old rig. I weld, so I'll probably just put on a few small "sacrificial" plates near the bumper...check a local weld shop...very easily, cheaply done.
Just a note here and you can take this for what it's worth. Make sure you read your frame warranty before you do anything to the frame at all. Lippert (at least with our V-Lite's frame warranty) makes it quite clear you will void the frame warranty if you weld or drill any holes in the frame.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
Pirate Todd and Wench

Good point indeed! lol I know by welding on any vehicles frame you can take out some of the temper of the steel itself, drilling in a structurally important area is a bad thing as well. I'd recommend a welder who has this in mind and has structural steel experience as well, to ovoid "cooking" the temper from the steel. Warranty or not, the skid plates themselves are on to prevent damage the warranty isn't going to cover anyway though..... Kind of a damned if you do even more damned if you don't scenario! lol Good point to know what the warrany impact is though.
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch

Tags
3008w