Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #1

Windjammer 3029

Just an open question to the Windjammer owners out there, are you happy with your choice, quality of the build, etc? We cancelled an order for a Hemisphere because of a deployment and the dealership was nice enough to refund us everything so as soon as I got back we went to order again but fell in love with the V-lite (Windjammers sister) instead, dropped an order that day and should be about two weeks or so away from delivery. What issues seem to be brand-wide? I posted this in both the Flagstaff and Rockwood forums since they are identical and made on the same line, they likely share the same issues and qualities. I've been lurking here for months studying and making lists, I feel like a stalker that knows everyone, looking forward to being part of the group soon!
1974 Wife, hottie model with all the options
2013 German Wirehaired Pointer (Holmes)
2013 Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (Watson)
army_jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #2

We have had excellent luck with our '14' 3025 Windjammer in the past year. Just one trip to dealer for a minor heating duct issue. The new Led's lights hardly touch the batterys. We went with 265 watts of solar on the roof and never need shore power.I like the flashing on the slides. Our dealer is repairing rot in some slides from Heartland before they even leave the yard. We are cautiously optimistic on the power awning. We use it alot but never leave it out unattended because there is no way to tether it! Good luck with your unit.
Best,
Jon

2018 8329 SS Rockwood /260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Alleged curmudgeon

Thank you for your service.

We are just completing our third summer with our 2013 Windjammer 3008. My wife and I have really enjoyed our Windjammer, and have experienced very few (and then only minor) issues. Of course, with any TT, there are potential problems, but the little stuff which has come up on ours has been an easy fix me and/or dealt with professionally by either our dealer or Forest River (in the case of a recall to add a lift kit on the axles to improve tire clearance of the underbelly). As you've likely seen on here, the most dramatic issue which others have had with any frequency with their Windjammers has been cracks in the fiberglass outer sidewall in areas above doors and slides. Unless I'm mistaken, in every case which I've seen reported, the factory has stepped up and taken the unit back for a total wall replacement, including cases where the unit was beyond the warranty period. As for us, we selected the Windjammer based on the floorplan (different than yours) fitting our needs and have been VERY satisfied (and happy) with it so far. Your floor plan looks pretty cool. My brother-in-law owns at TT (SOB) which has the big dance floor (opposing slides) in the living area, and it is very versatile and the space is great. They love it. Best wishes to you with your new unit. Enjoy!
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Thank you for your service.

We are just completing our third summer with our 2013 Windjammer 3008. My wife and I have really enjoyed our Windjammer, and have experienced very few (and then only minor) issues. Of course, with any TT, there are potential problems, but the little stuff which has come up on ours has been an easy fix me and/or dealt with professionally by either our dealer or Forest River (in the case of a recall to add a lift kit on the axles to improve tire clearance of the underbelly). As you've likely seen on here, the most dramatic issue which others have had with any frequency with their Windjammers has been cracks in the fiberglass outer sidewall in areas above doors and slides. Unless I'm mistaken, in every case which I've seen reported, the factory has stepped up and taken the unit back for a total wall replacement, including cases where the unit was beyond the warranty period. As for us, we selected the Windjammer based on the floorplan (different than yours) fitting our needs and have been VERY satisfied (and happy) with it so far. Your floor plan looks pretty cool. My brother-in-law owns at TT (SOB) which has the big dance floor (opposing slides) in the living area, and it is very versatile and the space is great. They love it. Best wishes to you with your new unit. Enjoy!
I'm laughing while I'm typing here, what is a SOB?

No, I'm serious, what is a SOB?
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
Happy owner SOB

SOB= some other brand

2015 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat
Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtns View Post
We have had excellent luck with our '14' 3025 Windjammer in the past year. Just one trip to dealer for a minor heating duct issue. The new Led's lights hardly touch the batterys. We went with 265 watts of solar on the roof and never need shore power.I like the flashing on the slides. Our dealer is repairing rot in some slides from Heartland before they even leave the yard. We are cautiously optimistic on the power awning. We use it alot but never leave it out unattended because there is no way to tether it! Good luck with your unit.
Best,
Jon
Have you looked under it and if so how is the underbelly attached? We just traded our 3008W Windjammer for the 3025. Got it home and realized the underbelly coroplast was put on top of the l-beam and not actually attached. Therefore it is not tight allowing road moisture, freezing temps and mice to get to the components underneath. On our 3008, it was attached under the frame and actually screwed tight to it. Back to the dealer soon to see if they have a fix.
Master Tow Dolly
Davison206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #7

No I have not . Thanks for the heads up.It seems fine. We have no heat in Bathroom duct so it is heading to dealer for that and I will get them to check out the coroplast.

Does your gas furnace do a good job with getting heat to bathroom? Our furnace grill is in shower base but just blows cold air.

2018 8329 SS Rockwood /260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #8

Guess we have not checked heat to bathroom. We will before we go back to the dealer. Have not camped but one night since getting it. May need to stop for a few nights on our way since it is a 5 hour drive. Several cg's between home and there.
Master Tow Dolly
Old 09-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #9

I am beginning to find so many things wrong with this 2015 windjammer 3008. Today I took caps off of the drain tubes and you would think red would be for hot water tank but oh no whom ever installed them at the factory have them reversed. Same as the underbelly it is not attached to frame rails and is just sitting on top. Floor squeaks real bad in front, one of the slide window roller latches broke and I have been fixing so many other little things such as the stool tops falling off, screws half in or missing from various spots,the list just keeps building. I can understand something's but if this is the norm for Forest River considering the amount of money we paid for our first trailer I sure won't be buying another.
Will be taking it to dealer in a couple of weeks and will find out just how well that is going to be. We really don't like complaining about things but this is not at all what we would expect as we really thought we did our homework on Forest River Rockwood Wind Jammer.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #10

Carrier- did you get your Windjammer back to the dealer? We took ours back a couple of weeks ago and they fixed our underbelly. We had talked to FR and were told they had a design change in 2014. The I beam frame is now 8 in wide, so they thought it would work to lay coroplast material on top instead of securing it to the bottom. Our dealer made a cut and screwed the back part of ours to the underneath, but left the front section on top securing it. That way they did not have to remove the gas line or electric wires. There were some crosswise bands it should have been screwed to, but had not been done at the factory. They did that, then siliconed it and "gorilla"taped it. It is much tighter than before. They also gave us a new 50 amp cord as the blue lights had burnt out in the original one.

The warranty supervisor at FR we talked to was very willing to do whatever it took to make us happy. He said we could have all new coroplast put on if we wanted. The tech we worked with at the dealer had some out, but DH was happy the way they fixed it with the original.

We are anxious to head to Alabama for the winter later this month.
Master Tow Dolly
Old 10-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #11

2013 2809 Windjammer here. No real problems minor adjustments tighten a couple screws. We've been very happy with our trailer.
msroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davison206 View Post
Carrier- did you get your Windjammer back to the dealer? We took ours back a couple of weeks ago and they fixed our underbelly. We had talked to FR and were told they had a design change in 2014. The I beam frame is now 8 in wide, so they thought it would work to lay coroplast material on top instead of securing it to the bottom. Our dealer made a cut and screwed the back part of ours to the underneath, but left the front section on top securing it. That way they did not have to remove the gas line or electric wires. There were some crosswise bands it should have been screwed to, but had not been done at the factory. They did that, then siliconed it and "gorilla"taped it. It is much tighter than before. They also gave us a new 50 amp cord as the blue lights had burnt out in the original one.

The warranty supervisor at FR we talked to was very willing to do whatever it took to make us happy. He said we could have all new coroplast put on if we wanted. The tech we worked with at the dealer had some out, but DH was happy the way they fixed it with the original.

We are anxious to head to Alabama for the winter later this month.

It's booked in for warranty in November so will have to wait until then to see what will happen. Any chance you could take some pictures of the repair they did so I can show dealer and talk to Forest River about it? And either post or pm me the name and number of whom you talked to at Forest River.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #13

Windjammer 3029

New 2015 3029w here... A few first world issues... Fireplace remote doesn't work and a piece of plastic fell off... Yeah if I complain about these things karma can come kick my butt! We will get them fixed though! But seriously. We are impressed with the fit and finish and continue to check for things to make sure we get them fixed before next season, as this season is a bonus for us! First trip out was 200 travel miles and four nights... Everything was great.

1st year owner.
Rockwood Windjammer 3029w "Alpha Site"
Enjoying life while the kid is away... In College...
Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #14

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
My wife and I just got a new Windjammer 3029 this past March and took it on one trip from central Texas to the San Juan Mountains of southwest Colorado for a park hosting job for the summer. We love the way it handled on the highway and in the Rockies. The only problem I had was a small bubble that popped without blowing out the tire. I called Forest River after doing a bunch of research on the Trail Express tires from China that came with the unit. I told them that they should be ashamed for having such a piece of crap on such a good unit. I got a $75 per tire allowance on 4 tires. I had Discount Tire put some 10 ply Carlisle's on in place of the 6 ply crappolas that were on there. Bottom line,,,,,$580, and I'll get $300 back from Forest River. I'm trying to sell the others on Craigslist to offset my cost of upgrading. Other than that, we're very pleased with the unit,,,,especially the huge living room. We did have a 29 foot Jayco with one 14 slide that was an insult to anyone's intelligence to call it a slide. Now, we get out of breath just walking across the living room.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
My wife and I just got a new Windjammer 3029 this past March and took it on one trip from central Texas to the San Juan Mountains of southwest Colorado for a park hosting job for the summer. We love the way it handled on the highway and in the Rockies. The only problem I had was a small bubble that popped without blowing out the tire. I called Forest River after doing a bunch of research on the Trail Express tires from China that came with the unit. I told them that they should be ashamed for having such a piece of crap on such a good unit. I got a $75 per tire allowance on 4 tires. I had Discount Tire put some 10 ply Carlisle's on in place of the 6 ply crappolas that were on there. Bottom line,,,,,$580, and I'll get $300 back from Forest River. I'm trying to sell the others on Craigslist to offset my cost of upgrading. Other than that, we're very pleased with the unit,,,,especially the huge living room. We did have a 29 foot Jayco with one 14 slide that was an insult to anyone's intelligence to call it a slide. Now, we get out of breath just walking across the living room.
In the same situation with the tires. I can't get Maxxis where I am at. How are those Carlisle tires working? I would like to go with load E tires.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #16

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Carrier.....that's what I upgraded to....from Load Range C to E. I just had it done this past Monday, and we're back parked at the Corps of Engineer Park in Georgetown, Texas for the winter.....so,,,,I can't say that I like them better from experience on the road,,,,but from my research and deductions,,,,,I'm a happy camper knowing that I have a superior tire on my full time home. Something else I recommend.....I had $5153 in damages a few years back when a tire separated. Now,,,,,I keep nitrogen in them,,,,keep them covered while long time parking,,,,,keep them on wood,,,off the ground,,,,,have them spin balanced,,,,,have a tire pressure/temperature monitoring system on them. It wasn't much fun looking in the rear view mirror as we were travelling IH20 in Fort Worth as I saw wood and rubber flying all over the highway and scaring the dickens out of everybody behind us.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windjammer