Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #1

Windjammer our first rv purchase

My wife and I have enjoyed camping with her parents at the beach for many years now. We have always wanted to buy our own to have our own space. We are seriously considering buying in the near future. We have decided that we really would like to get the Windjammer 3025w or the Windjammer 3065w.

I have been reading this forum and have received a lot of good information, so thank you to all of you that have contributed. I do have a few questions though.

Is there a list anywhere of the changes that have been made throughout the years? We were looking at a 2015 3065w and found a good deal on a 2011 3065w and I was wanting to see what the changes would be.

Has anyone tried to remove the carpet to switch to a minimum carpet layout? The one that we found a good deal on has a lot of carpet and I would like to see if I can change that.

Every 3065w that we have seen has dark cabinets, but the 2011 we looked at has light, almost white, ones. Was that an option or something that the previous owners have done?

Since I am looking at used windjammers, along with new ones, is there anything that I should lookout for that would cause a used one to be a lemon in disguise?

Thank you for any information that you have.
CaptainMorganNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMorganNC View Post
My wife and I have enjoyed camping with her parents at the beach for many years now. We have always wanted to buy our own to have our own space. We are seriously considering buying in the near future. We have decided that we really would like to get the Windjammer 3025w or the Windjammer 3065w.

I have been reading this forum and have received a lot of good information, so thank you to all of you that have contributed. I do have a few questions though.

Is there a list anywhere of the changes that have been made throughout the years? We were looking at a 2015 3065w and found a good deal on a 2011 3065w and I was wanting to see what the changes would be.

Has anyone tried to remove the carpet to switch to a minimum carpet layout? The one that we found a good deal on has a lot of carpet and I would like to see if I can change that.

Every 3065w that we have seen has dark cabinets, but the 2011 we looked at has light, almost white, ones. Was that an option or something that the previous owners have done?

Since I am looking at used windjammers, along with new ones, is there anything that I should lookout for that would cause a used one to be a lemon in disguise?

We ordered our 2015 Flagstaff 27VRL in May, it came in as a 2016 in about 6 wks. We ordered exactly the fabric, cabinet color( hickory) floor( wood look) , minimal carpet, dinette, xtra fantastic fan in kitchen, outside stove instead of RVQ, slide toppers on both, emerald pkg. etc. etc. Get the idea!
You are laying out over 30 grand...get EXACTLY what you want on it .
BTW a buddy bought off the lot at CW and they brought his Jammer down from Mi. and took what it was... won't go any deeper, get the idea!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

If we buy new we will order what we want with it, but the used one is such a good deal (half price) that I wanted to see if I could change what I don't like.

I forgot to mention that the only TV that I have is a Cadillac Escalade. According to the numbers it can handle it, but I should use a WD hitch and anti sway. I am used to pulling a 5k lb boat that is 10 feet shorter than the Jammer. I am wondering how much of a difference it will be. The Escalade does not seem to care that the boat is behind it.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

The longer the TT the more sway you will encounter. I use to tow a 28 ft boat and you never new it was there. different story with TT. I'm not familiar with the windjammers but know it's a V nose, or the length you are looking at. I have a 35 ft V-Lite similar to design of WJ. and use a 4 point WDH to control the sway. I highly recommend you invest in one also.

I know our first V-lite we had darker cabinets in the BR and LR but the kitchen had like blond color cabinets which really was nice. When we were looking at the new DP V-Lite looked like that option was no longer available so we bought off the lot. We also would liked to have had less carpet in the Living area. The brochure we had showed less carpet which is not available unless you order a TT Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:

I think Youroo has the light cabinets in it, you should PM him.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #6

I own a 2012 3065wa.
I bought used two yrs ago with little use. It was ordered with minimal carpet which is great for keeping clean and swept. I also have two colors of cabinets, light in kitchen and darker on all others. I pull mine with a Toyota Tundra, not a problem on flat land, the hills really drag me down. I really enjoy my TT, and have done many mods. Just returned from Lake Martin from my home base in Wiggins, Ms. a 51/2 hr. haul. Having a deisel truck would make the drive a little more fun I believe.
With all said I do like my TT, however I am seriously looking to upgrade to a 5er. New truck and camper at once, just can't quite decide on which unit to go with. The more I read the more undecided I am. I have one shot at getting it right, don't plan on making anotherpurchase after this one.
speckeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #7

I feel the same way too. When my wife and I buy something we usually keep it until the wheels fall off, so I feel like I also only have one chance.

I see that some models have two ac units. If I am camping at the beach in the summer would one not be able to keep up?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator

If your going some where that is hot you may want the 2 AC. Does the new unit have 2? I'm guessing the 01 only has one if I recall it is mounted at the very front of the unit. I had a similar unit or a V-lite 01 and that is what it had with two slides. Even with the 15,000BTU Ac it worked to keep it cool.
I go for the new one and get the extended 1 year warranty if available. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #9

We have a 2012 Windjammer 3008W and love it! We ordered it new and chose the options and decor that we wanted. That being said, a year after purchasing it my husband was washing the exterior and noticed a hairline crack above the rear door. Thanks to this forum, we discovered that there were others that had similar problems with cracks above the door or around slides. (I'm not sure if this was a problem for any other Windjammer models beside the 3008W.) Forest River confirmed the unit would need to go back to the factory for repairs - new frame and side wall replacement. We were happy with the repairs and service we received from Forest River. This would be the only caution we would have about purchasing a used unit - make sure to check it out thoroughly!
geridave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:35 AM   #10

Capt Morgan, try DoddRV in Va web site, they have a few used windjammers and lots on new ones. All their units have pics so you can browse then on line. I don't know where you are in NC, but they are good people to deal with. I love my jammer.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #11

If you are looking at (Older W/J or V-Lites) with (3) slides (LOOK at the SIDEWALLS above the SLIDES) this will be the Corner area! They were know to (Crack/Fail) in this location! The Fac.(F/R) replaced (MANY Sidewalls on these units and also Moved/Relocated the Axles at the same time)!! Back then you could even go (50/50) on Wood (Color/Type) inside,this is what we have. If you are Really going to (Travel) with the (2-3 Slide units) use a 3/4 Ton and you will NOT be on here later saying (What Have you added to your 1/2 ton to make (You and It Happy) Youroo!! In regards to the Carpet (Sharp Knife and LOTS of Crown staples to pull! Even the (Minimal Carpet Op) is Too MUCH Carpet! You should leave it in the slides though! Vinyl is already under the Carpet !
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #12

Thanks for the info. I will check them out.

I have been talking around and people have me second guessing if my Escalade is up to the task. It is an 02 trans cooler, 6L H.O. gas v8, factory camper hookup, brake controller, rated 8200lb with weight distribution hitch, not sure about tongue weight rating. Tows 23 foot length over all 5k lb boat no problem. I know I have asked this before, but does anyone have experience with a similar setup or anyone have thoughts? Everyone is so great here about sharing information.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you are looking at (Older W/J or V-Lites) with (3) slides (LOOK at the SIDEWALLS above the SLIDES) this will be the Corner area! They were know to (Crack/Fail) in this location! The Fac.(F/R) replaced (MANY Sidewalls on these units and also Moved/Relocated the Axles at the same time)!! Back then you could even go (50/50) on Wood (Color/Type) inside,this is what we have. If you are Really going to (Travel) with the (2-3 Slide units) use a 3/4 Ton and you will NOT be on here later saying (What Have you added to your 1/2 ton to make (You and It Happy) Youroo!! In regards to the Carpet (Sharp Knife and LOTS of Crown staples to pull! Even the (Minimal Carpet Op) is Too MUCH Carpet! You should leave it in the slides though! Vinyl is already under the Carpet !
Great information Thank you
Old 07-21-2015, 11:40 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Tows 23 foot length over all 5k lb boat no problem.
Towing a boat is not a good comparison, to towing a full height TT.
Even a V-nose TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #15

Has anyone tried to take the freestanding table out and put a booth in? The 3025w on the lot has the table, and we want the booth. We might get a deal on the one that is on the lot that is too good to order one. I know that the windows are different. The one on the lot has the theater seating, but according to the literature you can have theater seating and a regular booth, so the booth should fit.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #16

Slow down your Caddy has (Car tires) so that is a Big difference than most HD TVs also! As posted (Boat/TT) NOT the Same Towing! Now you are going (Backwards) from most in regards to (Booth/Table) It can be done but watch your window location and other things (BEFORE) you remove! Youroo!! PS the Booth coversion will be Very Pricey$$
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #17

To tow that unit comfortable, a 3/4 ton is best. Much more stability and control. My personal preference is Diesel, but gas would be ok, it just works at a higher rpm.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #18

I went camping and talked to some people about their campers. I found someone that was towing with an Escalade. I talked to him for a while and he agreed with most of you. The Escalade can tow something like a 3025w, but it is not going to be fun. I had a lot of people say that they will not tow something that big even if they had a 3500hd. My wife and I really like the forest river products, and the slide out master bedroom. We are now thinking about the 27vrl / 2715vs. It is shorter and 6504 lbs dry. Does anyone know if the bigger windjammers have features that the smaller ones don't?

I am open to other travel trailers with bedroom slides, is there a way to search for master bedroom slide? I tried to find information about past rockwood models so I can see if there is an older floor plan that I like more, but I have not had any luck finding this information.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #19

I just picked up a 16 2703WS, and tow it with a 15 Suburban. The EQ hitch is a great investment, and don't know why I was foolish enough to not have on the Roo 23IKSS I had. The Escalade should have auto-air shocks which help in towing/ride for your boat and should on camper, plus with the Towing Package you have, your real axle ratio should be a good ratio for pulling with that package i would believe. We struggled to find the right trailer for us, as we both liked the 8399ss, but it was just too close to weight limit on the Suburban, for us to feel comfortable out here in the mountains of Utah. We got the 2703WS, and could not be happier, as the Master closet slides out and give the bed very nice room......worth a look for you, if you are not willing to change TV.
CCWAKERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windjammer