Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #41

I bought the steady fast system, and yes there is a wood strip on the frame rails. I have mixed results with it. On concrete pads, 50% bounce removed. Grass or gravel, maybe 40%. The electric stabs are the main culprit as you can't get that extra "oomph" you can with manual jacks. A call to the company agreed with that also. It is better with it, but I am tempted to remove the electric stabs..

Windjammer 3006w is my model
kaferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #42

Has anybody contacted FR about this problem? Are they are aware of it, and have they come up with a remedy?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferman View Post
I bought the steady fast system, and yes there is a wood strip on the frame rails. I have mixed results with it. On concrete pads, 50% bounce removed. Grass or gravel, maybe 40%. The electric stabs are the main culprit as you can't get that extra "oomph" you can with manual jacks. A call to the company agreed with that also. It is better with it, but I am tempted to remove the electric stabs..

Thanks for the info on the wood strip on the frame rail. Did you have to use longer bolts and shim when you did the attachment to the rail?

I have the manual jacks on my jammer so maybe I will get better results.

How long was your install time?

Jim
2000 Lund fishing Boat/2005 King Ouad 700 ATV
Windjammer lives at a Resort in Northern Minnesota. Lots of walleyes!
Lanningjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #44

They did send me longer bolts, and I remember making a shim on one . It took me about 4-5
Hours, as I took extra time trimming the underbelly liner. Be sure to seal up wherever you need to cut for the brackets to fit. They were very helpful on the phone. Called him on a Sunday and the answered all questions
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Has anybody contacted FR about this problem? Are they are aware of it, and have they come up with a remedy?
IMO it's more of an annoyance then a problem. I can live with it, if need be. I contacted FR about using slide out supports (see post #25).
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #46

Let me ask, does the trailer settle/lean to that side when you are in the slide or does it do it over a period of time? And does it "bounce" back to level? Are the stabilizer jacks "leaking" to the point where you have to tighten them up frequently?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferman

Good sidenote about the manual jacks vs electric stabilizers. I am looking at new TT's and was looking forward to electric stabs. But to have the least movement, you would recommend manual?
TTforTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTforTwo View Post
Good sidenote about the manual jacks vs electric stabilizers. I am looking at new TT's and was looking forward to electric stabs. But to have the least movement, you would recommend manual?
They're the same style jack as the manual with a motor drive on them.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #49

The electric ones are "neat", but that is all. You can get more torque on a manual scissor style. Also, there is one button for front and one for the rear. When you are lowering the jacks, you have to stop go to other side, position the blocks, go back lower some more, go back reposition, etc. With manual jacks, you crank near the block, so in my opinion manual is faster. Bells and whistles are nice, but after having manual an electric, I am going back to manual on the next one.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #50
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferman View Post
The electric ones are "neat", but that is all. You can get more torque on a manual scissor style. Also, there is one button for front and one for the rear. When you are lowering the jacks, you have to stop go to other side, position the blocks, go back lower some more, go back reposition, etc. With manual jacks, you crank near the block, so in my opinion manual is faster. Bells and whistles are nice, but after having manual an electric, I am going back to manual on the next one.
My rear electric jacks are "self adjusting" and will "park" one side when it hits the ground until the other hits the ground and then lift the trailer together.

X2 on what Dave says, the electric jacks are just manual jacks with a motor added. I much prefer the electric.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #51

Quote:
Let me ask, does the trailer settle/lean to that side when you are in the slide or does it do it over a period of time? And does it "bounce" back to level? Are the stabilizer jacks "leaking" to the point where you have to tighten them up frequently?
It will lean to the side with the slides, not much settling so far but I haven't set up on any soft ground yet. It will bounce back to level after you remove the weight. Like if you were to sit on the end of a diving board, then get up. Not that extreme, but you get the point. The jack do not require any more adjustment what I've seen as normal settling.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
My rear electric jacks are "self adjusting" and will "park" one side when it hits the ground until the other hits the ground and then lift the trailer together.

X2 on what Dave says, the electric jacks are just manual jacks with a motor added. I much prefer the electric.
I asked the question the other day if anybody's elec. jacks were noisy? Never got an answer. My motors are embarassingly noisy. And yes you have to make 2 repositions per side to set the blocks under the pads. After a couple days I give the front and back a little sqeeze more. On manual jacks I didn't have to do that.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #53
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...And yes you have to make 2 repositions per side to set the blocks under the pads. After a couple days I give the front and back a little sqeeze more. On manual jacks I didn't have to do that.
I don't understand the 2 repositions per side. I have 2" x 10" x 12" wooden blocks lag bolted to my pads and all I have to do is press the down switch and both jacks will go down until one hits the ground and it stops and the other side will continue until it hits the ground and then they both raise the trailer until the the switch is released.

If we are on hard packed gravel, asphalt or concrete, we never have to touch the jacks until we leave. If on grass, etc. we may have to snug the up every two or 3 days. Had to do the same with the manuals on our last 3 trailers. I like the electric jacks.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #54

Don't be so hard on yourself about understanding the repositioning, That's my exercise for the day!
I agree with your other comments.

But you're killing me....what about the noise?
Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #55
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Don't be so hard on yourself about understanding the repositioning, That's my exercise for the day!
I agree with your other comments.

But you're killing me....what about the noise?
Please explain the repositioning. Noise is louder than using my cordless drill, but I really don't care, it's only for about a minute and not objectionable or something to gripe about IMO.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #56

Don't you have something better to do on a Sunday afternoon?

Some sites I am in have a concrete curb or a crosstie, etc at the rear of the site and I use that to put my rear jack down on. So permanently attaching a block to the foot of the jack might not be a good idea.

Before I lower the jacks, I walk around putting 4x6x10 blocks under where I "think" the jacks will come down. Upon lowering to near touching the blocks, I reposition them to where the blocks are exactly under the foot pads. Some sites will not be level ground hence the use of the block to give the foot a better place to hold steady.

BTW NC football teams are kicking my team's A$$e$ this weekend!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #57
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...Some sites I am in have a concrete curb or a crosstie, etc at the rear of the site and I use that to put my rear jack down on. So permanently attaching a block to the foot of the jack might not be a good idea.
I have had boards attached to my jack pads on the last 4 trailers and have never had an occassion to remove them. It just saves having to try to position something on the ground.

BTW, not into college sports of any kind.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #58

To each his own my friend!

BTW, coming somewhat your direction in 3 weeks! Hope to see some dying leaves.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #59
Mod free 5er

Quote:
To each his own my friend!

BTW, coming somewhat your direction in 3 weeks! Hope to see some dying leaves.
Coming to the race in Charlotte?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #60

North GA.

Also, not into those non-athletic sports!

Tags
v-cross, v-lite, windjammer