Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #1

Windjammer Torflex Axle Brakes

I am nowhere near to my 2016 Windjammer and its paperwork, so I can't try to find this out for myself. What kind of drum brakes does it have? Are they the Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes or are they standard brakes that need to be adjusted manually? I would like to know because I feel that my brakes don't grab enough while using my integrated brake controller. I certainly can't get them to lock up at 25mph.

Bruce
Old 01-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Most likely they are just the standard brakes. I think the auto adjusting brakes are an option item on most lines, but I could be wrong. You can also check the voltage at each wheel to see if maybe you have a voltage drop somewhere from a bad connection and that all brakes are working properly.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #3

They are Nev-R-Adjust. Just because they wont lock up does not neccesarily mean something is amiss either. I have had trailers I could lock up and trailers that would not. It has a lot to do with balance and weight.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
They are Nev-R-Adjust. Just because they wont lock up does not neccesarily mean something is amiss either. I have had trailers I could lock up and trailers that would not. It has a lot to do with balance and weight.
Where is it stated they are Nev-R Adjust on the Windjammers? Cant find? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Where is it stated they are Nev-R Adjust on the Windjammers? Cant find? Youroo!!
In the 2016 Brochure. If its a 2016 Rockwood with torsion axles, its going to usually have Nev-R-Adjusts from what I have seen
Old 01-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #6

this is in the windjammer brochure "Models are also equipped with E-Z
Lube® System and Nev-R-Adjust® Brakes."
http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...odbrochure.pdf page 16

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Even if they are Nev-R Adjust, I assume they still have to be adjusted from the start.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Thank's Guy's found it! When they Replaced Both my axles last year I ask if the replacements were Nev-R-Adjust they said No! When we went to leave I also found out I had NO BRAKES! Stopped at the C/G parking lot and Called Dexter who sent over their Mobile Unit and Crew! They rewired and adjusted the shoes and replaced the wire nuts that were Just put on with the New Axles! They gave me a Book from Dexter on How to Brake in your New Brakes! It is a Timely process but it certainly made a BIG difference in Stopping Power by the time we returned Home! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4587 - Copy.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	97856  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Even if they are Nev-R Adjust, I assume they still have to be adjusted from the start.
You assume correctly and it does not usually get done, or verified at least by most dealers. I'd double check every wheel. On a new unit probably a good idea to pull each one just for a look.

You can find lots of threads about Nev-R-Adjusts where a spring or the adjuster came off, and the poster instantly jumps to "Nev-R-Adjusts are junk".

Well they're not junk, but if they're way too loose in the adjustment dept and you hit a pothole hard enough its very easy for the adjuster to pop out, followed by a spring or two. We have been running them on tool trailers for about 4 years now and we have never had so much as one issue and our trailers get abused more than most RV's.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
They gave me a Book from Dexter on How to Brake in your New Brakes! It is a Timely process but it certainly made a BIG difference in Stopping Power by the time we returned Home! Youroo!!
It does make a big difference burning them in correctly...........
Old 01-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #11

There was one thing in this post that really bothered me. Brake wiring! Wire nuts or plain wire crimps and the correct tool used to connect them. Either solder/heat shrink or a heat shrink/crimp connecter. I fixed my trailer shortly after I bought it new. Not crimped with the correct tool and nothing to keep water out of the splice.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
It does make a big difference burning them in correctly...........
Purdy sure the person dragging units from the factory to the dealers could careless about properly seating the brakes.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #13

I've watched a few videos about the Nev-R-Adjust Brakes and one by eTrailer speaks about how they are initially adjusted, but I just can't grasp what the guy is talking about. Can somebody take a look at this video and try to translate it for me, please?

Here is the link to the eTrailer video:

http://youtu.be/O2CHjTw9EA0

Thank you all,

Bruce
Old 01-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #14

Maybe this will help:

Brake Adjuster - How Drum Brakes Work | HowStuffWorks

It shows how a "normal" drum brake adjusts on a car. These usually adjusted when you backed up and stepped on the brake. If the brake pad has worn down, it moves farther, which allows the lever to turn the star wheel one notch. Then the pad doesn't move back to it's original position, but a little less. Now you don't have to push the brake pedal as far the next time you brake. The Nev-R-Adjusts seems to have it arranged so it adjusts when you brake going forward.

With the old car brakes, if I remember correctly, I think you were able to back off the star wheel even with the lever against it. (I've done a few times, but it's been a long time ago.) Apparently, per the e-trailer video, you need to push the lever out of the way on the Nev-R-Adjust's if you want to back off on the star wheel.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I've watched a few videos about the Nev-R-Adjust Brakes and one by eTrailer speaks about how they are initially adjusted, but I just can't grasp what the guy is talking about. Can somebody take a look at this video and try to translate it for me, please?

Here is the link to the eTrailer video:

http://youtu.be/O2CHjTw9EA0

Thank you all,

Bruce
Hi I had poor to no brakes on my 2015 wikss 30 v lite that We bought in march of 2015. I read several articles about break in and how to break them in and assumed that was the problem. After several trips and no improvement I did a brake inspection and found that they were never adjusted. There were no ware marks on the shoes to show they had even touched the drums. So I put the drum back on and started to adjust the brake. I turned and turned on the adjuster for what I thought was way to much before the shoe started to contact the drum. I over adjusted the first one and figured out how to release the adjuster to back the pads off. All 4 brakes were never adjusted and needed to be done.
I then restarted the break in of the brake shoes and now have good brakes.

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, brakes, windjammer