Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Windjammer Wizard Wannabe

Windjammer Water Woes

Since de-winterizing in early May, our 2012 Windjammer 3008 purchased in March has had fresh water system problems. The dealer has been no help. They couldn't find the kink in the fresh water restricting water flow even after I gave them pictures and the location of the kink! After six weeks sitting at the dealer's lot, complaints to Forest River, six months of ownership, and using different strategies with the dealer's service department, I've finally solved my own fresh water system problems!

The 3008 Windjammer is well designed and we love the floor plan. While the design is great, the factory assembly of the design was very disappointing.

The initial issue was getting access to the pump and related pipes. The access under the entertainment system is less than a square foot, with the pump about two feet back in the enclosure. When the dealer's tech accessed the water pump, I had asked for a couple of mouse pads I supplied to be installed under the pump, attach an accumulator in place of the water filter, and replace the kinked house. His entry point was through the outside shower box ( an 8 by 13 inch openning close to the pump). He never found the kink (even with pictures), did install the mouse pads, and didn't try to install the accumulator. He claimed that the Shurflo accumulator I supplied in its new box could not be used with my Shurflo pump. Also, he stated that there was no kinked line and the trickle of water coming out of the faucets was typical.

My solution was go through the bottom shelf in the cabinet behind the toilet. This 1/8 inch piece was carefully pried up, glued to 1/4 oak plywood, cut down the middle with a Gorilla tape hinge attached, and two knobs attached for future use. Fiberglass was glued with Elmer's contact cemet (light duty) to decrease possible noise. Now I can sit on the toilet backwards (lid down) and lean into the nice open space using my two eyes and two hands. This has also eased my journey into the world of Pex while getting to know my trailer's plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic5.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	19261   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	19262   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1b.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	19263   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1c.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	19264  
J McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

Windjammer Water Woes Continued

From the access behind the toilet, I could clearly see the kink in the freshwater line between the cutoff valve and the antifreeze syphon hose running to the side for outside access. With my next trip to the dealer's service department, I shared my photos and the email I got back from Shurflo stating how the accumulator was designed for the 2088 series of pumps that was in the Windjammer. Of course I calmly shared how the repair was at my expense (time and the opportunity to learn about Pex). This service visit was to correct the spilled caulk on the lower skirt left from the previous visit. I also had them check the fresh water fill area since I couldn't fill the tank all the way and it would burp back fresh water when 2/3 full.

Following are the pinched line photos from the access under the entertainment system and front the access behind the toilet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	19265   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	19266   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	19267  
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #3

Windjammer Water Woes Continued

Being a new owner of a travel trailer, I assumed the dealer would want to keep me as a customer, know the product they had carried for many years, and prioritize in a timely manner repairs that keep me coming. But I was wrong. An example was how it took over four months to get a replacement air mattress for the one that had an obvious rip. When I suggested they take one off a unit in the lot, they said they just could not do that.

When I went over a week later to get the trailer after they checked the fresh water fill problem and cleaned up the caulk their tech had spilled along the lower skirting on the end of one side (I had pictures for them!), the service manager informed me that everthing looked fine when the pulled the fill access area on the outside. He suggested I run the pump and burp it a few times when I added water.

I was shocked to discover that the freshwater tank is near the rear of the camper -- all 43 gallons. My DW and I have only camped once in a commercial camp site and had access to city water. All other times, we take our water along with us. While my initial concern was the poor water pressure, my peek under the plastic underbelly explained my fill problems. You'll notice the vent line below the fill line and both lines below the drain point of the tank. My solution was to hang vent line to the floor bottom with some pipe straps and hang the fill pipe below the vent with large nylon straps. I also re-routed the drain valve a feet away from the tank on the rear passenger side of the trailer. After reading a post a few weeks ago about getting all of the water out of the tank with the pump when camping, I decided to attach the pump line to the drain line. It will be easy to remember to drain a little water before using the pump since the drain point is handy and not under the slide out as previously routed. I also drain the entire water system after each camping adventure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic20a.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	19268   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic21a.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	19269   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic23.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	19270   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic24.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	19271   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic25.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	19272  

Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

Windjammer Water Woes continued

What a difference it made in rerouting the vent line and fill line. I guess the dealer felt it was just me thinking I had fill problems, but I'll calmly share my pictures with them and remind them of how much time I have left on the warranty.

I made a minimal, "L" shaped cut in the plastic underbelly to access the water tank. I purchased similar plastic sheeting at Home Depot in their sign aisle, and using Goop I attached the new plastic behind the cut and held by very short piercing screws. The old drain point was also repaired in this manner. The pictures are before I cleaned the area with alcohol and attached some my handy, never ending role of Gorilla Tape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic255.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	19273   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic26.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	19274   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic27.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	19275  
Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

Windjammer Water Woes continued

But after four months of wondering why I had poorer water pressure than my previous pop up and also wondering why I even purchased through a dealer, I was stilled stumped.

Now, I had learned a lot about the trailer, was confident with my Pex skills, loved the job my installed Shurflo accumulator did, and was enjoing time camping with my DW. But then, I happened to be reading the latest postings one evening on this website and I happened to see a picture of the plumbing/pump area of a Roo. There it was, something I suspected long ago and figured the dealer had ruled it out. My antifreeze syphon line did not have a shutoff valve, although the freshwater line just before the "T" in the antifreeze syphon line did have a shutoff valve.

While I access the area behind the toilet, I also decided to remove the outside shower lines, cap the hot and cold lines, and easily add a shutoff valve to the syphon line. You'll notice the Gorilla Tape over the metalized tape on the shower box that I added once the faucet and lines were removed. The total job took about fifteen minutes.

Finally, a clear, solid stream of water coming out of every faucet. I love our trailer.

What I've learned in my journey through new trailer land:

1. Pick a dealer based on the quality of their repair department.
2. Forest River has been no help in suggesting ways to hold the dealer accountable for their cursory, trite attitude.
3. Everything has an eventual solution, even when you aren't looking.
4. I like Pex.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic7a copy.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	19276   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic7b copy.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	19277   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic7c copy.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	19278  
Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #6

Nice wright up. Thank you for posting.

I have not dug in to my 3001 yet, but you gave me a lot to look at when I do. This will be a late fall project...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #7

Looking at your pics, I don't see a water filter in the container. I don't use my "internal" water filter and was planning on by passing the housing...
Old 09-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #8

Hey Russ;

I removed the water filter and this became a perfect place for the smaller Shurflow accumulator. All water that enters the trailer, whether fresh water to the tank or through the city inlet, is run through a double filter setup I carry in a five gallon bucket. The bucket shields the filters from sun light, thereby decreasing the chance of algae. I keep the pressure valve on the out flow side of the filter set so I always know where it is. The idea for this set up came from:

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
Old 09-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #9

I use a water filter I bought years ago from CW. The canister can use most any Culligan filter I can get at just about anywhere. The housing is not clear and I've not had any problems with algae. It is mounted to a old milk crate. I keep my white hose in the milk crate. Works for me...

Tags
access to pump, fresh water, windjammer