Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
itch'n to road trip
 
campnqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Georgia Mountains-Jasper GA.
Posts: 908
Sherdep,
I wondered how much I cost to add those heat strips to the a/c. I see on out unit it has a setting for "Opt Heat"... yes that would help save a LOT of propane. We do have a small space heater but i think if you are on shore power this would really the safe way to go.

Did you install it yourslef? Or did you have your dealer do it? The heating element was about $50 bucks? Very interested in this project.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Sherdep,
I wondered how much I cost to add those heat strips to the a/c. I see on out unit it has a setting for "Opt Heat"... yes that would help save a LOT of propane. We do have a small space heater but i think if you are on shore power this would really the safe way to go.

Did you install it yourslef? Or did you have your dealer do it? The heating element was about $50 bucks? Very interested in this project.
you ask and you shall recieve - Here is the thread I actually did the install and it was on sale at the time I bought it from PPL in Texas so not sure what it is now
Here is a link to that thread - with pictures and everything - very easy install just have to take your time Just Ordered Optional Heat for my 2306

looks like the install PDF is no longer on Air Xcell's website so I will look and see if I still have it downloaded and post it for ya as well

The info below is if you have the Coleman Mach 3 installed in your camper without the heating element.
You get the Heating Element and a New Knob for the fan side that add's the heat options for the fan control
Just checked PPL website and looks like it is on sale for $35.78 PPL's part # is 67306 - if you look at the top they convert the manufacture's part # to theirs. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ccessories.htm
__________________

__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,973
The heated beds are 120 volts 150 watts.
__________________
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
wfmdfm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Middleboro, MA
Posts: 302
Question on the winter camping. Are your water tanks full and operational while camping? Do you add any anti freeze in the waste holing tanks? I assume your not hooked up to any water supply.
Wally
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2015 Toyota Tundra
wfmdfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
I also got some of those silver mylar bubble wrap looking solar car window shade things. Cut then to fit inside our window frames , put them between the window and the blinds. Creates dead air space and insulates some. Helps keep out the cold, morning sun and heat in the summer. Easy to install and easy to remove and store.. and CHEAP. I also use a push curtain rod to hold them in place.
Hay! That's a great idea for some insulation and added R-values. I'll put some bubble wrap by the front window near the bed - and see how that works.

__________________
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
itch'n to road trip
 
campnqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Georgia Mountains-Jasper GA.
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
Question on the winter camping. Are your water tanks full and operational while camping? Do you add any anti freeze in the waste holing tanks? I assume your not hooked up to any water supply.
Wally
Hello wfmdfm,
We live in North Georgia, it gets cold but it doesn't stay below freezing or long periods. Yes we use our water system, bring in the water hose at night, tanks not heated but do have ducted heat and the bottom of our trailer is enclosed. So far no problems with the pipes.

We do winterize our camp for when we are NOT using and the heat is not on. Keep only about 1/3 fresh water in tank for flushing at night...otherwise empty the fresh water tank and run rv antifreeze through the pipes and into the tanks.
__________________
2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
If you're talking about a standard 1500 watt electric heater, I doubt very seriously it will run more than an hour or so off the batteries.
Something you might want to do is test your theory out at home before you try it for real.

How's this for winter camping?
Great photo! How cold did it get and what did you use for heat?

We will take a dry run this weekend to see how everything holds together. My primary concern is carbon-monoxide from our supplemental heat -- so we will keep windows cracked. Our first year ice fishing, the CO2 alarm went off and it was a huge scare. We learned the value of ventilation and now use 2 CO2 detectors.

Our heating plan is to run the primary furnace (12 volt and I think it's 20,0000 btu's) for much of the trip. We 'll supplement the heat with an electric heater when we run the generator. At night we would like to run the 12 volt propane furnace set on the lowest setting and a small Wave 3 heater.

Below is a photo from our last outing where it got a little chilly. We didn't have the generator for this trip so it was all on the 12,000 BTU heater (the camper was not a F/R product). Good times...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2454.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	9974  
__________________
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
itch'n to road trip
 
campnqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Georgia Mountains-Jasper GA.
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
Great photo! How cold did it get and what did you use for heat?

We will take a dry run this weekend to see how everything holds together. My primary concern is carbon-monoxide from our supplemental heat -- so we will keep windows cracked. Our first year ice fishing, the CO2 alarm went off and it was a huge scare. We learned the value of ventilation and now use 2 CO2 detectors.

Our heating plan is to run the primary furnace (12 volt and I think it's 20,0000 btu's) for much of the trip. We 'll supplement the heat with an electric heater when we run the generator. At night we would like to run the 12 volt propane furnace set on the lowest setting and a small Wave 3 heater.

Below is a photo from our last outing where it got a little chilly. We didn't have the generator for this trip so it was all on the 12,000 BTU heater (the camper was not a F/R product). Good times...

yeah... we keep a vet slightly open as well.... better safe than sorry... rather wear another sweater and toss another blanket on the bed... than wake up DEAD in the morning! :O
__________________
2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
yeah... we keep a vet slightly open as well.... better safe than sorry... rather wear another sweater and toss another blanket on the bed... than wake up DEAD in the morning! :O
and run the stove fan when thou'st cook on the stove. better safe than sorry. This-ith cometh from experience.

Travel safe.
__________________
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
and run the stove fan when thou'st cook on the stove. better safe than sorry. This-ith cometh from experience.

Travel safe.
I promise I don't have a lisp. This is serious business ya'll

Be safe.
__________________

__________________
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.