Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Winter Camping

Hope this suggestion will help others who enjoy winter camping.
Our Rockwood 2306 was still chilly even with a ceramic heater running. I went to Target and bought an electric blanket.
Now we can still enjoy winter camping even if it is only nine degrees out at night.
I only wish I would have thought of getting the blanket last winter.
We just had a great weekend of camping. The only thing we are missing is more snow.
justennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #2

We have the electric/ heated mattress........wife keeps it set at 1000 degrees.....
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

I have the heated mattress also. I have a really thick memory foam mattress. Our mattress did not get warm.
justennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justennis1 View Post
I have the heated mattress also. I have a really thick memory foam mattress. Our mattress did not get warm.
I've got three heated mattresses and two of the bunks have memory foam on top (2" and 1 1/2") have found three tricks with them. One is starting it on high (6) several hours before bed. The other is to lay a thick sleeping bag or comforter on top of that. The third thing was found by accident. One of the beds had a bunch of duffel bags sitting on it as it was warming up. Its was noticeably warmer than the other.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #5

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Cold Conditions Camping

We're also planning on a cold conditions camp-out in a couple of weeks. The temps in the evening will dip below 0. We have an heated mattress, which we will pre-heat before bed and an electric heater.

We are dry camping, but will run the generator up until bed time. I hope our dual 6 volt batteries will power the heater for 7 or 8 hours so we can keep the chill out!

We have added some insulation to the headboard area. Our first outing the temps dipped into the mid-30's and our heads got cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	9923  
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #6

I would agree..Camping in the winter is COOL..... literally. We were at a CG a few weeks ago and the CG host came by to tell to watch out for the freeze the next few nights. We got to try out our artic switch..not exactly sure what it keeps warm, but it must work as we had no issues. Other campers did have broken plumbing due to freezing. I dont think I would travel in snow conditions, but rain and cold is fine as the heaters and electric fireplace do well....Keep them doggies rollin..
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #7

My hats off to you guys, sounds awfully cold...heck I ran our a/c last night. I'm currently sitting outside of my Puma enjoying a cold beverage and getting ready to watch my Spurs beat up on the Suns.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #8

Another Option to add to your 2306 is the Heating Elements that can be added to your A/C Unit.

Saves me from using the Gas Heater
Very Easy to install.
I added one to mine and cost me $46.93 - the bad part is if you dry camp the Heater Element add will not benefit you unless you run a generator or AC Power

Here is the link to that thread - http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...6-a-11310.html
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post

We are dry camping, but will run the generator up until bed time. I hope our dual 6 volt batteries will power the heater for 7 or 8 hours so we can keep the chill out!
If you're talking about a standard 1500 watt electric heater, I doubt very seriously it will run more than an hour or so off the batteries. You'll have to run an inverter to go from 12V (battery) to 110 (heater). If you're talking about running the mattress heater, maybe. They run off 12v don't they?

Something you might want to do is test your theory out at home before you try it for real.

How's this for winter camping?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yellowstone 11 046.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	9953  
Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
I LOVE winter camping! No hot, muggy weather, no bugs, no snakes, NO PEOPLE!

We purchased a Sunbeam heated mattress pad form Wally-mart and it works great.

I also got some of those silver mylar bubble wrap looking solar car window shade things. Cut then to fit inside our window frames , put them between the window and the blinds. Creates dead air space and insulates some. Helps keep out the cold, morning sun and heat in the summer. Easy to install and easy to remove and store.. and CHEAP. I also use a push curtain rod to hold them in place.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Sherdep,
I wondered how much I cost to add those heat strips to the a/c. I see on out unit it has a setting for "Opt Heat"... yes that would help save a LOT of propane. We do have a small space heater but i think if you are on shore power this would really the safe way to go.

Did you install it yourslef? Or did you have your dealer do it? The heating element was about $50 bucks? Very interested in this project.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Sherdep,
I wondered how much I cost to add those heat strips to the a/c. I see on out unit it has a setting for "Opt Heat"... yes that would help save a LOT of propane. We do have a small space heater but i think if you are on shore power this would really the safe way to go.

Did you install it yourslef? Or did you have your dealer do it? The heating element was about $50 bucks? Very interested in this project.
you ask and you shall recieve - Here is the thread I actually did the install and it was on sale at the time I bought it from PPL in Texas so not sure what it is now
Here is a link to that thread - with pictures and everything - very easy install just have to take your time http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...6-a-11310.html

looks like the install PDF is no longer on Air Xcell's website so I will look and see if I still have it downloaded and post it for ya as well

The info below is if you have the Coleman Mach 3 installed in your camper without the heating element.
You get the Heating Element and a New Knob for the fan side that add's the heat options for the fan control
Just checked PPL website and looks like it is on sale for $35.78 PPL's part # is 67306 - if you look at the top they convert the manufacture's part # to theirs. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ccessories.htm
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #13

The heated beds are 120 volts 150 watts.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #14

Question on the winter camping. Are your water tanks full and operational while camping? Do you add any anti freeze in the waste holing tanks? I assume your not hooked up to any water supply.
Wally
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #15

Quote:
I also got some of those silver mylar bubble wrap looking solar car window shade things. Cut then to fit inside our window frames , put them between the window and the blinds. Creates dead air space and insulates some. Helps keep out the cold, morning sun and heat in the summer. Easy to install and easy to remove and store.. and CHEAP. I also use a push curtain rod to hold them in place.
Hay! That's a great idea for some insulation and added R-values. I'll put some bubble wrap by the front window near the bed - and see how that works.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
itch'n to road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
Question on the winter camping. Are your water tanks full and operational while camping? Do you add any anti freeze in the waste holing tanks? I assume your not hooked up to any water supply.
Wally
Hello wfmdfm,
We live in North Georgia, it gets cold but it doesn't stay below freezing or long periods. Yes we use our water system, bring in the water hose at night, tanks not heated but do have ducted heat and the bottom of our trailer is enclosed. So far no problems with the pipes.

We do winterize our camp for when we are NOT using and the heat is not on. Keep only about 1/3 fresh water in tank for flushing at night...otherwise empty the fresh water tank and run rv antifreeze through the pipes and into the tanks.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
If you're talking about a standard 1500 watt electric heater, I doubt very seriously it will run more than an hour or so off the batteries.
Something you might want to do is test your theory out at home before you try it for real.

How's this for winter camping?
Great photo! How cold did it get and what did you use for heat?

We will take a dry run this weekend to see how everything holds together. My primary concern is carbon-monoxide from our supplemental heat -- so we will keep windows cracked. Our first year ice fishing, the CO2 alarm went off and it was a huge scare. We learned the value of ventilation and now use 2 CO2 detectors.

Our heating plan is to run the primary furnace (12 volt and I think it's 20,0000 btu's) for much of the trip. We 'll supplement the heat with an electric heater when we run the generator. At night we would like to run the 12 volt propane furnace set on the lowest setting and a small Wave 3 heater.

Below is a photo from our last outing where it got a little chilly. We didn't have the generator for this trip so it was all on the 12,000 BTU heater (the camper was not a F/R product). Good times...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2454.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	9974  
Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
itch'n to road trip

Quote:
Great photo! How cold did it get and what did you use for heat?

We will take a dry run this weekend to see how everything holds together. My primary concern is carbon-monoxide from our supplemental heat -- so we will keep windows cracked. Our first year ice fishing, the CO2 alarm went off and it was a huge scare. We learned the value of ventilation and now use 2 CO2 detectors.

Our heating plan is to run the primary furnace (12 volt and I think it's 20,0000 btu's) for much of the trip. We 'll supplement the heat with an electric heater when we run the generator. At night we would like to run the 12 volt propane furnace set on the lowest setting and a small Wave 3 heater.

Below is a photo from our last outing where it got a little chilly. We didn't have the generator for this trip so it was all on the 12,000 BTU heater (the camper was not a F/R product). Good times...

yeah... we keep a vet slightly open as well.... better safe than sorry... rather wear another sweater and toss another blanket on the bed... than wake up DEAD in the morning! :O

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #19

Quote:
yeah... we keep a vet slightly open as well.... better safe than sorry... rather wear another sweater and toss another blanket on the bed... than wake up DEAD in the morning! :O
and run the stove fan when thou'st cook on the stove. better safe than sorry. This-ith cometh from experience.

Travel safe.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #20

Quote:
and run the stove fan when thou'st cook on the stove. better safe than sorry. This-ith cometh from experience.

Travel safe.
I promise I don't have a lisp. This is serious business ya'll

Be safe.