Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Winter Camping in our Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8318SS

We are thinking about doing some winter camping this year with our Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8318SS. We have been out when the overnight temps were in the mid 20's F, and we didn't have any problems. I am thinking that we would go as long as the temps are above 10 degrees F. I think that is the coldest the kids and wife will tolerate. I was just looking for suggestions, tips, and any other ideas.

Thanks

Mike
MSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Paul & Sheri

Towing in the snow could be tricky. The R7 insulation is really made for 3 season camping. Last spring, dry camping, we spent 4 days at 40 to 45 degrees day and night and went though 40# of propane. My plumbing is all in heated spaces but the 12v tank heaters are meant to be used with shore power or while being towed.

I'm sure some people will have good tips for you.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAA View Post
I was just looking for suggestions, tips, and any other ideas.
Mike, some tips based on our own frozen forays:

- Get some insulation or a heat tape for the water line - it can freeze solid if exposed to the wind when the temp is at or slightly below freezing

- Tanks heaters are very helpful for extended sub zero stays.

- Expect to use lots of propane if relying on the furnace.

- Inside humidity is a big issue when outside temps are below freezing - using the gas furnace aggravates the issue. An alternative is to use electric space heaters provided you're plugged in. And keep the window blinds up to the greatest extent possible to minimize condensation.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #4

Park so your rig is in the sun as much as possible. Run your furnace and supplement with an electric space heater. Open cabinet doors at night so warm air gets to pipes. Use Reflectix inside cabinets with pipes. Add pipe insulation. Heat tape dump valves. Add heat pads to tanks and enclose underbelly. Open roof vent a crack so condensation doesn't build up. Pour antifreeze in shower drain. And last but not least, bring lots of hot chocolate!
birddogfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, light, rockwood, winter