Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #1

Winter cover for new trailer in Canada?

We will soon (before the winter is over) take delivery of our 2015 Rockwood 2604WS Emerald edition TT. We live in a rural area in Ontario Canada. We didn't cover our Shamrock 23SS hybrid. It was waxed twice yearly & we had no problem with the shell. While the roof was in good condition, it was a lot of work to keep it clean and treated. We are wondering about covering our new trailer. Suggestions & recommendations. Easy access to the interior is also important to us - checking for rodents & Christmas gift storage.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Maris
2010 Shamrock 23SS
Soon 2015 Rockwood 2604WS
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
WFD

Do a search in here for other threads on the topic..there is no shortage of them...majority will tell you not to cover. Wind can get underneath causing flapping and wear on the finish, moisture can get trapped underneath, causing problems. Many have reported having the cover rub against the finish of their trailer and leave a lot of damage. Most "good" covers will be tight fitting and you will be able to secure it but it covers the vast majority of the trailer, which would make doing what you want to do difficult with regards to easy access for inspection. I would leave it uncovered. The trouble you have in keeping the roof clean may be where it's parked. Are you under alot of trees? If it's under pines, you will get a lot of debris and sap. Had to park our trailer at releatives place for a month while having work done to the house and it was beside and under a few pines and it got dirtier in that one month than it did 2 years parked on our yard including the winters.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #3

Thanks WFD. I did find a few posts about covers before posting but I did want to know about access. Funny you should mention pines. Our current trailer is actually parked under the only pines in our yard. The new trailer won't be parked there, so we won't have that issue. We live in a fairly open area with a lot of wind. I'm thinking a cover would not be a good choice.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #4

We purchased our TT to fit a specific cover. 😜

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1419768679.099151.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  108.7 KB

Never gets below 40

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Jhochst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #5

Tried one once but as I go to Florida in the winter it was impossible to clear the snow off so the cover so it ended up being ripped off and ruined. Other comments about humidity are valid.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post
Thanks WFD. I did find a few posts about covers before posting but I did want to know about access. Funny you should mention pines. Our current trailer is actually parked under the only pines in our yard. The new trailer won't be parked there, so we won't have that issue. We live in a fairly open area with a lot of wind. I'm thinking a cover would not be a good choice.
We live in Winnipeg, so we know all about snow. We have found that actually that much snow accumulates on the trailer. Wind will usually just blow it right off. The bit that does accumulate doesn't really pose a problem. In spring we give it a good wash, including the roof and it's good to go.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #7

Jhochst,

That is cheating!

Wish you were closer so I could use your cover. You have room for a couple more RVs in there.

That is one of the things that some of us have to deal with. Ours is in a paid uncovered storage lot an hour away so we have to go by and check on it occasionally. We have thought about moving but any new place would have to have a space for the trailer.

I LOVE your cover though.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #8

I Maris, I'm from Quebec and we get very bad winter, a mix of rain then snow, its very hard to get rid of it when you have over 3 feet on the roof and since its a mix of freeze up water and some snow, I only use the cover in the summer time, because its a full paint and the sun is not the best for gelcoat, most boat owners will tell you that the part that's always in the sun changes color.
I got a Adco cover and there are zipper where the door is and can get in very easy.

So to re-cap I only use it in the summer, hope this helps

Claude002
Claude002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #9

I purchased a sturdy 10 x 20 ft canopy cover to cover my 19 foot Shamrock 183. I easily extended the legs using 10 foot electrical conduit instead of the stock legs giving me 10 foot tall (on the sides) and 14 foot tall in the middle. I staked the top frame down at all four corners and in the middle against high winds. Has been standing over my trailer now since last May.

You can start with a canopy from harbor freight dot com or SHelter Logic
or Norther Tool dot com or any big box store and purchase an additional kit to make it longer to fit your trailer. A great site to purchase additional canopy fittings is
Yuma Bargain Warehouse

This has withstood one heavy snow load already this year.

The only thing that rubs the canopy top is the whip antenna and I have that tied down now. This keeps the sun and rain off the top yet leaves plenty of room for air movement.

[/URL][/IMG]
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #10

To cover or not to cover?

I have used the Adco cover over one winter (last year). Haven't covered it this winter because we are planning a trip South in Jan. These covers are designed to allow trapped moisture to evaporate thus preventing mildew. RV covers are very popular on the BC west coast so obviously do not present any problems. If you heed the manufacturer's advice, there should be no rubbing damage or other issues. Zip up panels allow easy access to the inside of the trailer. We keep an electric heater and a dehumidifier running on a timer to keep the inside dry. There is so much humidity here that I don't think the "Dry-Z-Air" product would be adequate. I chose the cover over possible exposed weather damage. So far no problems. DO NOT use a regular type tarp to cover your RV as that will surely cause damage. The extra expense of a proper RV cover is worth it. If you are subject to harsh storms and severe winds, you may be wise not to cover your RV.
biker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, cover, trailer, winter