Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Winter is over, maybe

We pick up our 8314bss from storage for our second year of travel this Sunday. I know that there is always a chance for more sub freezing weather here in the North Texas area but our plans are to be in it almost constantly through March and into April so we can control the inside temperature anyway. This is Spring Break for the grand kids so we will park close to where they live, de-winterize and then on Wednesday hit the road for a few days.

Can't wait to shake it down and get some more use out of it.

The number one concern that hung over me in our first year of using it were the China bombs. They are gone now. I will continue to use our TPMS but I look for a little more relaxed towing in 2015.

Maybe we will see some of you out on the road this year.

Ken and Ellen.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #2

Did you have any incidents with your tires last year? We are on the road to west Texas Saturday for our maiden trip, manufacturers tires in place. What should we watch for?

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

Winter is over, maybe

They lasted all year but just barely. We put 7500 miles on them and on the way home on the last trip I took it by Funtown RV in Cleburne for warranty work and discovered a split in the sidewall about 2 inches long. We made it the rest of the way to the storage lot on that tire with intentions of replacing all of them before this season which I did a couple of weeks ago. I asked Discount Tire their opinion on what caused the split and they said it was the beginning of the internal tread breaking down.

In hindsight and even though they made it through the year I would have changed them out sooner rather than later. I had trouble with them holding air the whole time. They were nothing but a time bomb and I was just fortunate to have made it through the year.

I replaced with Maxxis and also changed the rubber valves to metal.

If you have not already I recommend good TPMS system. I always do a walk around at every stop looking for splits and bulges and of course watch the TPMS while driving. Most important thing that you can do for factory tires or any other tires is to make sure you are running correct tire pressure.

I hope I have not scared you off too much.......

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #4

Glad for the perspective! We have a seasonal site for 2015, but we wanted to go further afield in 2016. Sounds like I get some good ones right before then. The camper can sit on these in the meantime.
Really, when you consider your initial investment, paying a little more to protect it is very sensible.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Anacortesians

It decided to give us a miss this year. We went from Fall to Spring. The last three weeks, it's been mid-to-high 50's in the afternoons, with blue skies and sunshine. Snow pack in the Cascades is less than 20% of normal.

Maybe winter will make a comeback in April?

Tags
winter