Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Winterize, De-winterize, Winterize

I know this topic gets discussed regularly on these forums, but this is specific to Rockwood. We just took delivery of a 2013 TT, and well, we want to try it out. It gets cold around here (Southern Indiana) prob dips into the low 20's at night. We ordered heated enclosed tanks etc so thats not an issue. What I want to do is de-winterize, go camping, then re-winterize.

My unit has a quick winterize valve on the outside. Bypass WH, drop hose in the pink stuff, turn on pump and run faucets, DONE.

My dad (and our Rockwood Dealer) recommends blowing out the lines, then adding antifreeze.

The antifreeze only way means I can re-winterize at the campground after I dump the tanks, the second option is more difficult requiring an air compressor.

Is there any benefit for blowing the waterlines out with air before adding antifreeze?

Furthermore do any other Rockwood owners like to camp in the dead of winter? Or am I just crazy?

Thanks
Nathan

2016 Silverado 2500HD Z71 | Duramax | Crew LTZ
NMWHITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #2

I'm not a Rockwood owner, but I camp in the winter. When I get to the campground I will dewinterize my camper. When I get ready to leave I will drain the water at the low point drains than I pump antifreeze through the lines and drains. I never use compressed air. What little water that is left in the lines gets pushed out when you run the antifreeze through.
67redbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

X2
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Playtime III

Don't forget to empty the Hot Water Tank in the winterizing process. It can be messy dumping 6 gals depending on the ground (mud, gravel or concrete). Additionally our Rockwood put the water filter in an awkward location beside the tank. I needed to remove the panel and contort myself into the passthrough to access it. If I had kept the trailer I would have permanently bypassed the filter since we did not draw from the Fresh Water Tank, only through the hose (City Water).
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
phat phrog stunt crew

x3 on the anti freeze will displace the water in the lines method.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

I do the same thing dewinterize and then camp and then winterize. Never blow out lines. The dealer states that the pink stuff is good to minus 50. So with mild dilution you should be fine.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
(Kim)

The people who blow out their lines are just showing off the fact that they own a piece of equipment that 'we' don't.

You are fine just running anti freeze.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

I have a compressor and bought a fitting to hook air up to the city water inlet.

Tried it once and went back to the RV antifreeze. Got the system down now and can winterize with 1 gallon of RV antifreeze.

Don't forget to close the winterizing valves on the HW heater and drain the HW tank from the anode or drain port (not through the low point drains as it will suck anode material and calcium nodules into the pipes. When you add water or antifreeze those nodules wind up in your toilet valve and faucets).

Don't forget to push some antifreeze through the city water inlet to flush out the check valve.

Don't forget the outside shower and the turboflush check valve.

You can solve both these trouble spots with a cool mod I found right here on the forum. I use the outside shower hose, a Watts A-663 (3/4 inch water hose to 1/2 inch male pipe thread adapter, and a short piece of water hose to pump RV antifreeze into the city water inlet and the turbo flush check valves (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATTS A-663.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	22848   Click image for larger version

Name:	WATTS A-663 in use.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	22849  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote