Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Winterizing

I will be winterizing our Utra Lite later this month. Can someone tell me where the opening is for the back of the hot water heater? I know there is a device to turn so the liquid does not go into the hot water heater, but I don't recall where it is.

Other than making sure it is fully drained, is there anything else I should be aware of...have the owners manual, just want to be sure.

My unit, four weeks since delivery, is now in for repairs...items found during first use that did not work....but at least dealer is addressing each item.
Cardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

the by pass should be right behind your hot water heater from the inside .
you may have to remove a panel to access it.

dont forget to take out your water filter if your unit has one.
most do .

would be helpful if you listed make model and year of your camper to better identify your by pass location

make sure you buy a "winterizing" kit to suck your antifreeze in through pump.
do not pour it into the fresh water tank.

or you can buy a blow out adapter and blow all the lines out and then also open up your low point drains.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Lottery Non-Winner

I don't know where your access panel is, but once you find it, there probably will be 3 valves that need turned. One to block the cold water inlet to the heater, one to block the hot water out of the heater, and one that will open a direct path between the cold water line and what would have been the hot water line. I made a crude drawing of it.
Once those 3 valves are turned, you should pull the drain plug and lift the pressure relief to allow the water that is trapped in the heater to gurgle out. Then you can suck the pink RV antifreeze into the lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winterized.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	8037  

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Thanks so much.....the picture is perfect.
Cardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Lottery Non-Winner

Really? I did it in a hurry and thought it was rather lame. I'm glad it helps though.
Don't forget to go to the face of the heater and let that trapped water out. If you leave it in there, you'll have a huge block of ice in there that can split the seams.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

In the Flagstaff 8526RLWS the valves were behind a plywood panel under the sink. #1 mod was made during PDI when the Tech unscrewed the panel and threw it away. Not only did the access to the valves appear but tons of space under the sink opened up.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote