Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Winterizing

I have been under my cabinetry w/ a flashlight - my water heater has no bypass. It has 2 valves w/ some tag dangling off one of them saying its a different bypass system.

Of course I have no documentation on this system, nor does the online manual direct me to anything besides the standard bypass.

I expect an adventure in a couple weeks when I go to winterize. Anybody else have a WH w/ no bypass in the middle?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
I have been under my cabinetry w/ a flashlight - my water heater has no bypass. It has 2 valves w/ some tag dangling off one of them saying its a different bypass system.

Of course I have no documentation on this system, nor does the online manual direct me to anything besides the standard bypass.

I expect an adventure in a couple weeks when I go to winterize. Anybody else have a WH w/ no bypass in the middle?
Is there a water line running in between the two valves? If so, when you close the two valves the water heater will be bypassed and the water/anti-freeze will run into the connecting line. This is the way my Rockwood 2608 is plumbed, I don’t have the third valve on the WH as some folks do.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
Kasual Kamper

Quote:

Maybe if you can post a pic of your setup, we will be in a better position to advise you.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Site team note: Moved the 3 posts above to their own thread.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #5

There are a number of ways they've come up with to plumb the water heater bypass. I'm attaching a doc showing 5 or 6 of them; it may help you.

My Mini Lite has the standard 3 valves.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Byass valve arrangements.pdf (114.2 KB, 57 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:09 AM   #6

Quote:

Our ultra lite is like this. To bypass just turn both valves to be inline with the pex piping. The tag on mine explains this on the back of it. The white braided line is the bypass line. I think they've just eliminated the third valve in the bypass line itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wh bypass.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	217021  
Old 10-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
Our ultra lite is like this. To bypass just turn both valves to be inline with the pex piping. The tag on mine explains this on the back of it. The white braided line is the bypass line. I think they've just eliminated the third valve in the bypass line itself.
This looks closer to what I have.

I should have snapped a picture - I brought the camper home late yesterday. To get to my bypass valves I have to pull my kitchen drawers out. I did have them all on the floor yesterday, but that was for another project. I'm using the slide lock bar they gave me as a sink support (seeing as how I'm reading many are falling out of the countertop). I was so happy w/ my idea about supporting the sink easily that I forgot to take the picture of the valves while I was under there.

*yes I bought another slide-out lock to replace the one I repurposed. A nice ratcheting one that makes it easier to use*