Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #1

Winterizing a 2016 Windjammer 3025W

I realize this subject has been probably been beat to death, but I've read many, many, many threads and just have not been able to find the answer to my question.

I purchased the 2016 Windjammer 3025W yesterday. During my walk through when discussing the outside panel that contains an inlet and a switch for winterizing, I asked the tech conducting the walk through that if I switch the blue lever, marked "winterize" if this switch actually was the water heater by-pass? He said, "yes, no, I will show you that later". Excited as I was to take possession of this camper, I never followed up on this with him and it never came up.

The water heater in this unit is located between two slides and appears to be behind a hinged panel in the bedroom, below the closet, that does not open. Pretty sure I will have to remove the hinge to access the WH.

My question: Even though I have the outside panel and the switch that states it is used for winterizing, do I still need to access the WH and locate the bypass valves? It just does not make sense they would put this behind a panel that does not open. I really need to Winterize right away, so if anyone can help, please do. Thank you.
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #2

I think the Switch you are reffering to is really the Winterizing Valve to allow Antifreeze to be pulled into the water system by the Pump,from a Seperate Hose,NOT from the F/Water tank! DONT put A/F in F/Water Tank! Yes you will have to gain access to the Rear of the W/H,if this means remove panels and or Drawers so be it,Improve this later if desired! Youroo!! PS to the V-Nose Club!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #3

That's what I thought. I regret not getting the full information during walk-thru. Still looking for the water filter....probably behind the same panel. Thank you for your help.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
That's what I thought. I regret not getting the full information during walk-thru. Still looking for the water filter....probably behind the same panel. Thank you for your help.
Water filter in my V Lite 30Wikss which is the flagstaff sister to the rockwood 3025 is below the bathroom sink by the toilet. This is where the water pump and water filter are located and the valve to switch between water tank and antifreeze hookup. The antifreeze hookup is on the outside of the trailer above to the freshwater hookup need 2 gal antifreeze if you blow out first.
The hot water heater is located above the furnace on the bedroom side just below the clothing closet. You need to remove the 2 screws that hold the hinge nest to the doorknob. Pull door open with the knob. There should be 3 Valves in the pex water pipes to the water heater. close the 2 valves off that go to the water heater and open the one that is between the 2 pipes. You will need to drain the hot water heater by removing the drain plug behind the door on the outside of the trailer 15/16 socket. Make sure power switch next to drain plug is turned off or you will be buying a new heater element. Most in-portent is to re leave the water pressure from the hot water heater before you remove the drain plug. You do this by lifting up on the relief valve leaver to let the pressure out. If you don't you will take a shower when you remove the plug.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Plumbing, Propane and Water Systems
above are some links from the library in the light green bar at the top of this page.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #5

Thank you very much. This was extremely helpful. I will have to go after work tonight and do this. Nothing like peace of mind. I appreciate all the help.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Water filter in my V Lite 30Wikss which is the flagstaff sister to the rockwood 3025 is below the bathroom sink by the toilet. This is where the water pump and water filter are located and the valve to switch between water tank and antifreeze hookup. The antifreeze hookup is on the outside of the trailer above to the freshwater hookup need 2 gal antifreeze if you blow out first.
The hot water heater is located above the furnace on the bedroom side just below the clothing closet. You need to remove the 2 screws that hold the hinge nest to the doorknob. Pull door open with the knob. There should be 3 Valves in the pex water pipes to the water heater. close the 2 valves off that go to the water heater and open the one that is between the 2 pipes. You will need to drain the hot water heater by removing the drain plug behind the door on the outside of the trailer 15/16 socket. Make sure power switch next to drain plug is turned off or you will be buying a new heater element. Most in-portent is to re leave the water pressure from the hot water heater before you remove the drain plug. You do this by lifting up on the relief valve leaver to let the pressure out. If you don't you will take a shower when you remove the plug.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Plumbing, Propane and Water Systems
above are some links from the library in the light green bar at the top of this page.

Hope this helps Tim
Tim are you saying that the 2016 W/J has a (Atwood W/H)? Just asking because of the (15/16 Socket) reference used for Pipe Plug removal! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #7

The hinges on the panel are dummies. There are real hinges on the other side. You unscrew the visible dummy hinges and the door will open like a regular cabinet door.

Bruce
Old 11-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #8

Hi Youroo Details Details Details your right it is a sacrificial anode that dose double duty as a pipe plug. Oh and I may have made a mistake on the socket size to remove the plug from the hot water heater 1-1/16.

Hope this helps Tim
Old 11-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #9

If this is a brand new unit it should have been winterized at the factory. We bought a 2016 3029W Windjammer in June and it was winterized.
Call your dealer and ask them about this.

These Rockwood models have a built in water filter (with a glass container) when you winterize that water must be removed from the filter also.

Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #10

It is a brand new Windjammer. However, they fill and run everything at the dealership for testing and to demonstrate during the walk through. I failed to follow-up and get the answers I needed. We did travel back from the dealership (3 hours) with the low point drain plugs removed, and the holding tanks were emptied at the dealership, but I never saw them dump the WH. And I never got the winterization briefing. My bad.

Thank you everybody. Great information all around. Running be Walmart on the way home for the Red Pop!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #11

So, I followed all the procedures, found the bypass valves and removed the water filter, emptied all water from the lines, tanks and WH. Smooth...until I tried to use the winterization system on the outside of the trailer. The pump would just not suck any of the anti freeze from the jug. There was no suction at all and it sounded like it was trying to suck from the "City Water" intake next to the Winterization intake. I switched the lever to winterization. I switched it back. Still no suction from that intake. I read another post while I was working on this and the guy had the same problem and someone advised that there was a "switch" near the pump that changed it from city intake to winterization intake. I could not find any switch on or near the pump. The only thing I did find was another valve that opened to the water filtration. I tried this in both positions...still no luck. Any ideas? You guys have been a huge help so far. I have to get this done before I leave on Wednesday for Thanksgiving with the family. Thank you again.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #12

I have a 32foot 2013 rock wood 5th wheel. The center island seems to have quite a bit of space beneath the sink. I need some space for laundry. Has anyone cut into that area and put a door for a laundry chute?
aviator42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #13

As I think about everything I did and wrote I got to thinking that maybe I had the hose attached to the wrong intake after all. During my walk thru the guy had a hose hooked to the intake I tried, however, I think it may be marked as a flush intake, not sure at this time. The other next to it is marked as the City Water intake. Am I supposed to hook my anti freeze hose to the city intake and close a valve near the pump to keep it from going into the FW tank? I think I am really confusing myself now. I will await your advice. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #14

Now I think I am a real idiot. I believe I was connecting to the Black Tank Flush and I should have been connected to the City Water in. Dumb, huh? I think the only question I have now is do I need to leave the valve open or closed that sends the fluid through the water filtration system? I have removed the cartridge.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
Now I think I am a real idiot. I believe I was connecting to the Black Tank Flush and I should have been connected to the City Water in. Dumb, huh? I think the only question I have now is do I need to leave the valve open or closed that sends the fluid through the water filtration system? I have removed the cartridge.
Hi my V Lite has 3 water connections on the outside that form a triangle the top one is the antifreeze bottom left is city water bottom right is black tank flush.
The valve to switch from fresh water tank to antifreeze draw is right in front of the pump

Tags
windjammer, winter, winterize