Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
Cadiz Couple

Winterizing a Rockwood

No where in any of the winterizing procedures material I have read is there any mention of the water filter. Should the water filter be removed prior to loading the system with the pink antifreeze? I have a Rockwood 8310 that has a separate fill spout for loading the anitfreeze. Thanks for any advice!!!
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #2

Remove the filter and replace with a plastic water bottle filled with water. This will reduce the amount of antifreeze needed. Remove the bottle when you finish winterizing.
Also check to see if the filter has a bypass, or if a bypass kit is included for the filter. A bypass plate can be purchased for under $12.00.
brianre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianre View Post
Remove the filter and replace with a plastic water bottle filled with water. This will reduce the amount of antifreeze needed. Remove the bottle when you finish winterizing.
Also check to see if the filter has a bypass, or if a bypass kit is included for the filter. A bypass plate can be purchased for under $12.00.
People do this and filling the void left by removing the filter is a good way to use less antifreeze when winterizing.

I would caution though, depending on what size water bottle you use and how close a fit to the inside your filter housing, that you do not fill it completely full of water.

Leave some room for the water in the bottle to expand when it freezes (and it will) so as to not distort the bottle's shape.

I seen one where the size of the bottle just touched the top and bottom of the housing. When it then froze inside the housing, it expanded and broke the bottom right out of the housing.

I have read where folks are filling the bottle with marbles or something similar too.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Cadiz Couple

Thanks to you both for responding. I don't like the filter where it is located....hard to get to and if there should be a problem the inside of the trailer would get flooded. I know that some bypass the filter and mount one externally on the RV Park faucet or the city water line. This seems like a good idea to me. I don't know exactly how to go about bypassing the filter but can probably figure it out.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

By-passing the filter is a simple process and involves removing the filter housing and purchasing a few standard plumbing fittings or by-pass kit which will connect the inlet and outlet of the pipes that were going to the filter housing.
But IMHO, the likelihood of the filter leaking is simply not there. The type of filters housings used are not specific to RVs and are fairly failsafe in comparison to the rest of the plumbing in your trailer. As an example, I currently have 5 of these housing in my home under pressure of about 65-70psi for 4 years without an issue. I open up and replace the filters 2-3x a year and have never had to replace an o-ring or gasket and have never had a leak.
When these filters are used in an RV, I would agree that they are usually not in a convenient spot. But I would believe that this was done by design because there is little to no need to access them over the course of a typical camping season. If you do research, a good quality filter used in a home is recommend to be changed every 3-6mo (How Long Will a Whole House Water Filter Last?). So for most, if you camp less than 90-180 days a year, in total you most likely only need to access the filter 2x a year when you winterize and de-winterize your RV. Considering the amount of time it will take you to pull the filter housing and by-pass it, IMHO it will take you years to make up the time you are looking to save by removing it.
Additionally, while the prior posts are accurate in that using a water bottle to take up the void in the filter housing and reduce the amount of antifreeze you will need when winterizing your RV. The amount of antifreeze in question is less than a quart and equates to about $1.25 in savings and IMO not worth the time or risk.
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
Cadiz Couple

Thanks, Tom, for that very informative reply. I agree with all you wrote....it probably isn't worth relocating the filter or using a bottle when winterizing. Your info about replacing the filter does, however, bring up another question to mind.....Since it should be standard procedure to replace the filter when de-winterizing, what is wrong with simply leaving the old filter i place when winterizing, since it will be discarded, anyway, when de-winterizing? Again, I very much appreciate your response. Gordy Roberts
Old 01-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadiz Couple View Post
Thanks to you both for responding. I don't like the filter where it is located....hard to get to and if there should be a problem the inside of the trailer would get flooded. I know that some bypass the filter and mount one externally on the RV Park faucet or the city water line. This seems like a good idea to me. I don't know exactly how to go about bypassing the filter but can probably figure it out.
Here's a good post if you want to by-pass filter.......

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ass-96986.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #8

IMO, leaving the filter cartridge would lead to the possibility of the RV antifreeze being diluted within the filter housing and not providing full strength protection against freezing. Because of this, if you are going to keep the filter in its current location, I would be my recommendation that you remove the cartridge and empty any remaining fluid (water) prior to winterizing.
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #9

Yes

2017 Mini Lite 2506S front kitchen

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
labcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
Canadian Member

If it's not too much of a pain to access, you can save some antifreeze by doing this. Remove the filter housing, take the filter out, put the filter housing back on, winterize and then remove the filter housing and use the antifreeze in it to fill a P trap. Put the empty housing back on.

But I agree with others that it's not going to be a significant savings.

BTW, the filter housings that are problematic are the WaterPur FR1. The WaterPur CCI-10-CLW housing is rarely a problem. Both of my Rockwoods used the CCI-10-CLW and have worked well.

Also, be aware that those blue torpedo style external filters are only good for sand and grit removal. The OEM filters are a lot finer. I use aftermarket filters from The RV Water Filter Store. I use their model F1Pb cartridge.
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
Cadiz Couple

Winterizing

Thanks again to all who responded.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:40 AM   #12
Just a member

Quote:
Thanks for any advice!!!
You might also consider blowing the system out with air. You'll then only need enough pink stuff to do the p-traps and crapper seal - typically less than a jug. We've employed the blow out technique for years and for temperatures that frequently dip below -30. Works like a charm!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #13
Cadiz Couple

Winterizing with air

Thanks for the suggestion to blow out the system with air, to winterize. I have an air compressor....I suppose I'd just need some sort of attachment to connect my air line to a hose connection where antifreeze is sucked into the system. Any advice?
Old 01-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion to blow out the system with air, to winterize. I have an air compressor....I suppose I'd just need some sort of attachment to connect my air line to a hose connection where antifreeze is sucked into the system. Any advice?
WALMART

CAMPING WORLD

And a whole host of other places.
A Google search turns up thousands!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #15
WFD

Just remember to turn down the pressure on your compressor to about 35 psi.

Tags
rockwood, winter