Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #1

Exclamation Wobbly Dinette Table Legs

We have a 2010 Rockwood 2604SS Travel Trailer. It was delivered to us with a dinette table that has folding metal legs that are to say the least lousy. And when in use the table is crazy wobbly. The folding brackets bend very easily when you set up the table. After trying to straighten them out a couple of times I find that now they don't want to lock properly. The detents in the brackets will no longer engage the slots to hold it in the locked position. I've called the factory and I asked about a different method of using the table. I still want to be able to convert the dinette to a bed, so I still need to be able to lower the table in between the two seats to convert it into a bed. I had an older travel trailer that used a combination of the pedestal and base socket system and a wall mounted swing type bracket at one end to stabilize it. I was wondering if anyone has converted a table like this to the pedestal and base mount system only and if so how stable is the table? I want to use one center pedestal with mounts on the floor and under the table. I have three problems in that I need to reinforce the bottom of the table to install the mount there and secondly since the dinette is in the slideout I have to reinforce the floor (which is carpeted) for the install of the bottom mount and make sure that no fasteners(screws) go thru the bottom of the slideout floor or it will destroy the carpet and the vinyl under the slideout floor or worse yet hinder the operation of the slideout. Thirdly I can't use the swing type stabilizing wall mounted bracket because the window in the dinette is very large and there is not enough wall space below it to mount this type of bracket. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Gunnarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:14 AM   #2

Slide out floors are a bit flexible in these light weight trailers.
I've read that you can update the table with the two columns and the installed bases in teh floor. Some one should chime in but you might do some searching. S
DCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #3

table posts

My table is 28"x38" and 29" high, it is mounted with two posts, the table appears to be standard 3/4" thick, no additional reinforcement necessary, the floor mounts could be installed with 3/4 inch wood screws an shouldn't go through the floor, see the pics

Get rid of the folding legs, the only advantage would be to take it outside at a campsite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3096576.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2260   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3096578.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	2261  
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #4

Also, you could cut your carpet and install the mount directly to the floor, then use some adhesive to secure it snug around the opening around the post, check at Home Depot for the right kind of adhesive.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
My table is 28"x38" and 29" high, it is mounted with two posts, the table appears to be standard 3/4" thick, no additional reinforcement necessary, the floor mounts could be installed with 3/4 inch wood screws an shouldn't go through the floor, see the pics

Get rid of the folding legs, the only advantage would be to take it outside at a campsite.
I have the same setup as flyrotor. It works much better for us than the removable table in our pop-up, but is not as sturdy as the table in our Trailmanor, which had 1 end hinged to the wall, and a collapsible support on the open end. Beware, the table that flyrotor and I have will still move a little when you lean on it, with a pronounced squeak......kinda annoying sometimes.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

Thumbs up Wobbly Dinette Table Legs

I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I have decided to order two pedestals and four mounts. I think I will cut the carpet and use liquid nails adhesive and screws long enough so as not to go thru the slideout floor which would cause serious problems. As far as keeping the carpet down around the pedestal I think a clear silicon adhesive will work there. You all have convinced me that this will be much better then what I have now. I don't need the table for outdoor use, I have a weather resistant foldup one for that. The two pedestal setup as suggested sure sounds like the way to go and certainly offers more stability than what I have now. I originally was only going to use one central pedestal. Thanks for the help!
Gunnarts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood