Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #21

I am sure we have all heard curiosity killed the cat, right? My 5er is always plugged into a 120vac GFI on the front of my house and I use a PSI 30 amp surge protector so I had to know! My trailer is about 77 78 degrees warm so turned on my 13500 btu AC unit and checked the surge protector.

It read 120 VAC and 17 amps about a minute after I turned it on. Watched it for 5 minutes and that was my highest reading. 2040 watts.

Without the AC running it was reading 120vac and was reading 6 amps. I don't know what was drawing that load, fridge, co2 monitor, batteries charging? who knows? I don't really care. I didn't change anything when I turned on the air conditioner and I am comfortable with the reading I had after I turned it on.

Even if the Yamaha only puts out 2250 watts and voltage drops to 108 volts I can draw 20.8 amps safely. It looks like I should be OK with the Yamaha if I were to chose to get it.

The Honda puts out 600 more watts, but it costs $820.00 more. Honda is 5 db louder at full load but shouldn't be running at full load very often but 2400 might. Weight and size are about even. As close as I can guess the Yamaha will run about 6 hours at rated load, the Handi only will rin 3.5 hours but again the Handi won't be running at rated load very often so run time is probably going to be about the same.

So is the Honda worth $820.00 for just 600 watts more? Everything else is looking pretty close to being equal. I don't think so.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, generator