Old 05-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Yamaha 2400 Watt generator and Air Conditioner

On a large number of occasions I have seen many posts referring to generators and air conditioning. It normally came down to one of two options. First get a 3000 watt generator or get two 2000 watt generators and tie them together. Weight and size are often factors. Well, I just found another option, which I like and am personally going to use! I just learned that Yamaha makes a 2400 watt generator that they claim will run a 13500 btu air conditioner! I didn't know Yamaha made this till today. It cost $1479.00 so it is cheaper than two 2000 watt generators and tying them together or a 3000 watt unit. It weighs only 75 pounds so weighs less than either of the other two options, so it is sounding like a winner. I could not find a noise rating but would assume it would be comparable to the other two options.

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
On a large number of occasions I have seen many posts referring to generators and air conditioning. It normally came down to one of two options. First get a 3000 watt generator or get two 2000 watt generators and tie them together. Weight and size are often factors. Well, I just found another option, which I like and am personally going to use! I just learned that Yamaha makes a 2400 watt generator that they claim will run a 13500 btu air conditioner! I didn't know Yamaha made this till today. It cost $1479.00 so it is cheaper than two 2000 watt generators and tying them together or a 3000 watt unit. It weighs only 75 pounds so weighs less than either of the other two options, so it is sounding like a winner. I could not find a noise rating but would assume it would be comparable to the other two options.

Jim

Honda has one also. I'd go with that. They are known for quiet. Google is your friend

cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #3

Be prepared to buy a hard start capacitor kit for your AC. I almost went the Yamaha 2400 route but you can't return a generator if you get it home and it doesn't have enough power. Yamaha says it will run most high efficiency units, but the Web is full of stories where this is not the case. A hard start cap is less than 20 so no biggie but don't be surprised if you need one to get the AC running, especially at any kind of altitude or in high Temps. I went the champion 3100 inverter route and couldn't be happier. It has power to spare so I can run my converter (charging the batteries), fridge, TV, and AC on electric with the same generator all at the same time. And it only weighs a few pounds more than the Yamaha.

My in-laws have a brand new trailer with a 13.5 btu AC, and the same 3100 genset as me but they have to flip off their converter breaker to start the AC when it's real hot.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #4

I've got the Yamaha 2400, it's been great! It's quite, easy to lift and runs the AC on my fifth wheel. The Honda 2500 is not an inverter series, it will be loud. Honda makes a 2000 inverter which is to small and a 3000 inverter which is heavy. Cheers
Old 05-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Honda has one also. I'd go with that. They are known for quiet. Google is your friend
Honda does NOT make an equivalent to the Yamaha 2400ic.
They have the 2000 and 3000 but no inverter generator in between.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dometic recommends no less then 2500 running watts!

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "5"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 05-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Yes, I know about the quietness of Hondas, I own a 3000 watt is Honda. I spoke with a local Yamaha and Honda generator dealer yesterday and it was him that told me about the Yamaha 2400 watt generator and he told me it would run a 13500 btu air conditioner. I asked if Honda made a 2400 watt and he said he didn't think they did. Spoke to him this morning and he said he checked and Honda doesn't. Here is a link to the Yamaha:

Yamaha 2015 Inverter EF2400iSHC=

Read the first three lines.

The Honda 3000 watt I know will handle the AC but I can't handle the added weight of 50 + pounds, and according FR neither can my 5er. My best bet is looking like the Yamaha 2400 watt so far.

Jim
Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #8

Honda makes two 3000 watt inverter generators, the EU3000IS, which is slightly cheaper and is heavy, and the EU300i Handi which has similar specs but is much lighter and has wheels and handle. I don't know what the actual weight is, but the shipping weight is 89 lbs. Between the smaller Yamaha and the Honda Handi, I'd go with the Honda any day.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

I have a pair of Yamaha 2400's that I bought when I had travel trailers. I found that I only needed one of them to run my 13,500 AC (without any hard start capacitor). I'm in Ohio temperatures most of the time, so maybe it wouldn't work in a hotter climate running all of the time.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
Honda makes two 3000 watt inverter generators, the EU3000IS, which is slightly cheaper and is heavy, and the EU300i Handi which has similar specs but is much lighter and has wheels and handle. I don't know what the actual weight is, but the shipping weight is 89 lbs. Between the smaller Yamaha and the Honda Handi, I'd go with the Honda any day.
The Handi is defiantly an option! It wasn't available when I bought my Honda EU3000is. The EU3000 is is too heavy for me to do what I want. The Handi is only 3 pounds heavier than the Yamaha but the EU3000is is 131 pounds, 56 pounds heavier than the Yamaha, 128 pounds heavier than the Handi. The Handi is 19.3 inches high so it will fit in the back of my truck where the EU3000is is too high at 22 inches high. The Handi is $820.00 more expensive than the Yamaha though, but you are getting 600 more watts and the wheel and handle kit which is very nice. I am probably going to get the Handi for my 5er. I am considering selling my EU3000is to someone that wants it to use for their house.

Jim

Tags
air conditioner, generator