Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

Yet another question about adding a second A/C

Greetings all. Our 5th-wheel is a 2017 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8288 WSA with the single A/C located above the entry door in/near the kitchen area. As many have said, triple-digit outdoor temps result in 90+ inside temps.
My question that I can't seem to find any discussion is around mounting the second A/C to the rear of the trailer where the simple vent is located, rather than the front bedroom that is pre-wired for the second A/C.

This would mean we'd lose the MaxxAir vent in the bedroom.
I've noticed that the bedroom stays somewhat cooler than elsewhere in the coach, and the bedroom isn't used anyway during much of the day.

My preference is to leave the front bedroom fan alone, and put the second dump A/C back in the living area.

Has anyone done something like this and how difficult was running the wiring?

Issues with mounting the AC there?

Any comments/questions appreciated.

K
Old 08-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Team

You'll get lots of replies here as some have added a second ac to their units. Most, as I recall, use a separate power cord to power the second ac, plugged into the pedestal 20 amp plug. Good luck.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #3

Here is what I know having added the second AC unit. Our second unit was mounted in the bedroom replacing the vent and where the wiring for it was located. If your unit is ducted like ours then when the front AC unit runs it adds to the total air volume and cooling. It works very well. I set the control for the same temp for unit 1 and 2. Both will run until the set temp is reached and then just unit 1 will run unless more cooling is called for. The rear unit 1 is a 15k and the front unit 2 is a 13.5k. Outside Temp was 101 on July 24th and inside temp was 72.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #4

Thank you both for input. I also had not considered until now how much additional noise from the second A/C would be introduced in the back living area of the coach. The existing A/C is noisy enough.

I'm guessing I'll just move the 12volt MaxxAir vent fan to the rear vent of the trailer when I install the second A/C up front in the bedroom.

Checking to see if a second fan can be wired onto the same circuit as the one on the kitchen switch...

K
Old 08-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #5

Both a/c’s in the living toy area of our old 25’ work and play. The factory ac was ducted. The second was a straight dump with heat and it worked really well.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2450.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	212993
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote