Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13
08 Surveyor 263

Im new to the world of RVing and looking to buy a travel trailer. I found a 08 Surveyor 263 used (but never titled) that is selling for $13,500. Do you think this is a good deal. Would this be a good first travel trailer? Love to get some insight for you all.

I'd be pulling this with my 03 Chevy Avalanche. Thanks again!
__________________

__________________
Mynticelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,329
Welcome to the Forum...Visit often!

We had a Rockwood 2605, which is similiar. The Surveyor is a good entry level camper...lets you get out and enjoy camping. The more you camp, the better idea you'll have as far as what you need and whether to upgrade, as most do.

As far as the price, we sold our 2008 privately for much more than that last November. We had used it for two seasons and was in great condition.

The Avalanche will be fine for towing, just get a good weight distribution hitch with sway control such a Reese dual cam or Equal-i-zer.

Dave
__________________

__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynticelx View Post
Im new to the world of RVing and looking to buy a travel trailer. I found a 08 Surveyor 263 used (but never titled) that is selling for $13,500. Do you think this is a good deal. Would this be a good first travel trailer? Love to get some insight for you all.

I'd be pulling this with my 03 Chevy Avalanche. Thanks again!
1st of all, welcome to the forum !!!

When I 1st joined this forum, I there were no other 263 owners to be found. Since then, there have been 2 others to join, but 1 of them hasn't posted for a while (DooWopFan), and the other (VAlover) still posts occasionally. At 1st I thought that I had the only 263 anywhere, so I am glad too see that others have this model.

If you are getting this model as new, with full factory warranty, and the extras like AC and awning which I think are included in the interior and exterior luxury packages, then you are getting a excellent deal. I paid about $4000 over your quote in 2008. The resale value of a used unit is about what you are paying for a brand new unit.

Ours has been a great camper. Love all of the windows around the living area. Pulls great with our 2006 F150, so you shouldn't have a problem with your Avalache.

PM me if you want further details.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
I would rather be camping
 
Gizzerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 18
here's a link to NADA RV values for Surveyors....

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...83&y=2008&ml=S

I thought it might be of some help in your decision.

__________________
2011Surveyor SV-291.
2011Toyota Tundra
Gizzerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Since most stuff is standard equipment on the Surveyor, I plugged in the info for the AC and awning, and came up with $15,250 for an average retail used unit. Not sure what Mynticelx refers to as used but never titled. If it has been used, it should have been titled. Maybe Mynticelx can explain further. Even used, $13,500 should be a great price if the camper is in excellent shape.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13
Thanks for all the great information. When I say they are selling it USED, but not titled - apparently another RV dealership owned it to sell new.. that dealership went under and this new dealership bought is through REPO. So therefore, it technically has never been sold to an end consumer - just back and forth in the world of RV sales.
__________________
Mynticelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynticelx View Post
Thanks for all the great information. When I say they are selling it USED, but not titled - apparently another RV dealership owned it to sell new.. that dealership went under and this new dealership bought is through REPO. So therefore, it technically has never been sold to an end consumer - just back and forth in the world of RV sales.
In that case, it is probably considered brand new, and should have the 1 year Forest River Warranty. If that is the case, sounds like a whale of a deal.

What options are included ??
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
shineysideup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ONTARIO, CANADA
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
In that case, it is probably considered brand new, and should have the 1 year Forest River Warranty. If that is the case, sounds like a whale of a deal.

What options are included ??
Surveyor had an interior and exterior package that was added to the base model. I believe this has stayed mostly the same for newer models. Other options were day/night shades, exterior speakers, power awning. If this trailer has all these options it is as loaded as it can be!

I would be sure that forest river gives you the year warranty from date of purchase (If forest river considers this trailer new). There is an option that should be included to extend the factory warranty for 1 year on the whole trailer. You have to purchase this within the first 10 days of ownership.

It seems to be a good deal anyway so it may not matter if it doesn't have factory warranty. Get an inspection from someone in the know or friend's that own rv's (your friends at forest river forums can be a great resource!) if there is no warranty included. Just because it is new doesn't mean that it is problem free...

Happy shopping,
__________________
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Had to get out my 2008 Surveyor brochure to find this.

Then exterior luxury package included: A&E awning, 13,500 BTU AC, battery box, 2-30# LP bottles with cover, spare tire/carrier & cover, outside shower, stabilizer jacks, TV antenna w/cable -satellite hookup.

The interior package included: Stove cover, CD stereo with remote control & 4 speakers, water filtration system, 3 speed Fantastic Fan, 6 gallon GE DSI water heater, gas oven, sink covers, tub surround, microwave, and double door fridge.

Besides the options that shineysideup mentioned, you could also get: cherry wood plank vinyl floor (minimal carpet option ??), roof ladder, outside grill, and raised panel refer door inserts.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
shineysideup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ONTARIO, CANADA
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Had to get out my 2008 Surveyor brochure to find this.

Then exterior luxury package included: A&E awning, 13,500 BTU AC, battery box, 2-30# LP bottles with cover, spare tire/carrier & cover, outside shower, stabilizer jacks, TV antenna w/cable -satellite hookup.

The interior package included: Stove cover, CD stereo with remote control & 4 speakers, water filtration system, 3 speed Fantastic Fan, 6 gallon GE DSI water heater, gas oven, sink covers, tub surround, microwave, and double door fridge.

Besides the options that shineysideup mentioned, you could also get: cherry wood plank vinyl floor (minimal carpet option ??), roof ladder, outside grill, and raised panel refer door inserts.
Thanks for completing the list. That is right, the plank floor was something silly like $20 more. The fridge covers weren't very much either. I did not have the option to get these as my trailer was already built when I bought it. I do like the plank flooring vinyl, I would have spent the extra $$ for that!
__________________

__________________
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
surveyor

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.