Old 02-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #1

2 questions about Dealer repair of new couples coach

Hello All and thanks for your opinions and time in advance. I have a new 2018 200MBLE that is in the dealer shop after our initial shakedown trip. Man has this thing had a long list of issues already but that is another story.

Two questions. One, my enclosed under belly has what looks to be a few cuts/slices in it close to where some of the pipes for the (perhaps) holding tanks are. The cuts appear to be made with a box cutter, are about 6-8 inches long, and arenít large enough to even put a finger through. The dealer says all of the RVís have these very random looking cuts and that they are access holes in case they need to check things out. Is this possible? Two, during our last trip, I noticed tons of water leaking out near these cuts on our last morning. During our trip, we didnít notice any leaks, but it did rain very hard the night before. The dealer says that there are no leaks and that the water likely ran down from the roof and drained through the trim on the bottom/front of the trailer and entered the enclosed under belly. The dealer says this is normal and that itís no big deal. Iím thinking this is strange. Thoughts? Gallons of water inside my enclosed underbelly canít be a good thing no?

Thanks again for your assistance. I hope I donít sound like I am saying that they dealer is bad. Not the case...yet. They are are fine. I just want to be sure as some of what they are saying, if true, makes me wonder. I have a few more questions, but Iíll start with these two more important ones.

Jbrowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #2

The cuts in the under belly are normal and can be covered/closed with a good grade of "duct tape". Water running out of my under belly is unacceptable!!!! Something IS NOT RIGHT. If it had continued when there's no rain, it would sound like a leak in your water system/tanks to me. If it only happens when it rains, I can't see how that much water gets into the under belly during a rain. If it is, there's a serious leak somewhere that needs to be fixed.

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Water running out of my under belly is unacceptable!!!! Something IS NOT RIGHT..
Agreed. I'd want it inspected.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #4

I should add that the dealer has it now for over a month. They are waiting for some parts from FR from a few other issues.

The dealer says that they inspected for leaks and found none and that it hasn’t happened since. I asked if they removed the underbelly and they said no. They said they filled the water tanks up, inspected for leaks, ran the systems, and it isn’t leaking. I tend to agree that it was likely the rain because we were out for five days and nothing leaked. The timing with the rain also lines up. It did rain very hard all night. I also inspected and looked closely every day as it was a shakedown trip. That said, I think that water should not enter the underbelly after rain. That is completely crazy. I don’t care how hard it is raining.
Jbrowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

While I don't want to suggest your dealer cut those access holes in the Coroplast, I suspect they did. And while it is acceptable to use something like a box cutter to gain access, not EVERY unit comes this way as they've suggested.

None of mine ever came with a single cut, let alone several. Usually for access they make three cuts of a square box or rectangle, leaving the front part of the 'square' (towards the front of the unit) intact as a hinge. As mentioned, they can be sealed with a good duct tape or a bead of silicone.

As for the water coming from the belly area, the only way I've ever seen even a drip come from my underbelly was after I ran hours and hours in a pouring rain storm. I suspect the water entered near the wheel areas with the constant road spray. Even then it was only drips, not gallons.

I think I'd be looking for better answers.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

You are correct---the water when it's raining SHOULD NOT be getting into the under belly. A couple of years from now, if this leak is not found, the dealer AND FR will not be 'around" when it's time to repair a spongy floor or wall telling you it's now your responsibility!
As a backup plan, do the "ole" squirt it with a hose everywhere that it could leak and see if the belly fills up. Do it slowly, 1 area at a time or you won't know which section you hosed is actually leaking. If the dealer says it's the lower front cap, I'd start there!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrowland View Post
I should add that the dealer has it now for over a month. They are waiting for some parts from FR from a few other issues.
They likely aren't... they're waiting to place a group of parts or for the parts to be thrown into a camper they've ordered.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #8

We have a 2017 Surveyor 200 MBLE and love it. We have had no water in our underbelly nor cuts in the underbelly. We have had no issues what so ever ( so far). I think your dealer is full of it. No new unit should have cuts in the underbelly or fill up with random water. Just saying....

Good luck and enjoy.
BaltimoreBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #9

Never had cuts on the coroplast material unless they were from a repair or factory placed access panel as described above.

My guess is someone was hunting for the source of a leak.

Can easily be repaired but I would want to know how they got there in the first place. Definitely not normal in the 5 I have owned.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
You are correct---the water when it's raining SHOULD NOT be getting into the under belly. A couple of years from now, if this leak is not found, the dealer AND FR will not be 'around" when it's time to repair a spongy floor or wall telling you it's now your responsibility!
As a backup plan, do the "ole" squirt it with a hose everywhere that it could leak and see if the belly fills up. Do it slowly, 1 area at a time or you won't know which section you hosed is actually leaking. If the dealer says it's the lower front cap, I'd start there!
It is important to remember that when you are using a hose to find a leak, you should start running the water on the lower part of the camper until you are sure the leak is not there and then move up higher. If you start at the top, you will not know if it is leaking there or lower down the side. Good luck to you,

No Kids
No Pets
But lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, repair