Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

2006 Surveyor 255RS

I just put a deposit down on a 255rs. I pick it up on the 16th of April. I was trying to find more info about this model, and mods people have done to it, put I'm having trouble finding stuff. Is this just a rare model or is there just not alot of info around about surveyor trailers? We're pretty excited to get started camping. This is our first camper, so any advice anyone can offer would be great.
rscastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #2

Can't help with your questions but would like to welcome you to the forums and congrats on the new camper!! I'm sure there is someone here who will be able to help you.

Enjoy!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Site Team

it appears that that floorplan was made for a 5 year stretch, so there should be some other owners out there.

not a lot of Surveyor owners compared to other FR brands, like Rockwood.
has to do with the number of dealers.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscastle View Post
I just put a deposit down on a 255rs. I pick it up on the 16th of April. I was trying to find more info about this model, and mods people have done to it, put I'm having trouble finding stuff. Is this just a rare model or is there just not alot of info around about surveyor trailers? We're pretty excited to get started camping. This is our first camper, so any advice anyone can offer would be great.
Your trailer is almost the same as mine... except that it is a few feet longer, adding 4 bunks to the front (instead of two and a side door). The rear is almost identical, I have the RKS though. It is a king bed instead of the queen in the rear (as yours' is?). Is your trailer a surveyor or grand surveyor? They changed names/styles and features around 2006 or 2007...

I suggest a camping trip that is close to home, first off. This way when you've forgotten something ( like your kids! ), it is a quick trip back to get them! Don't think that will happen, my kids would NEVER forgive me if I got rid of our trailer!

happy camping, you'll learn something new every time out. Make sure that you have a proper hitch with sway control, towing mirrors and remember... it's not a race!
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #5

The camper is a Surveyor, not a Grand Surveyor, although I'm not sure I would know the difference. My kids were going nuts when we went to look at the trailer. It definitely makes it harder to negotiate. We're planning on a short trip about 20 miles away for our first non driveway trip. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #6

Congratulations on your Surveyor ! I know the feeling, when we were looking for a tent trailer years back, my kids (they were young then) would go bananas when we were looking at the models we liked and talked abut at home. But We can't deny them that pleasure right ?

We like pictures here, just a polite reminder when you take delivery of your trailer
Old 03-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #7

Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #8

Here's another one.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #9

Hi, I bought Surveyor sv260, a cousin to your's. We towed it home in late January, about a 7 hour drive, some of it on icy roads and strong winds, it towed very nice behind my truck.

It'll be a couple of months until camping season for me. I've been in the sv260 to organize it, so far I really like it.

Good luck on yours! Ken
kenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #10

Awesome ! And four bunk beds to boot ! Thanks for the pictures.

You are planning to go over all the caulking and redo them if they are not done recently right ?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #11

Thanks. My drive home will be about 6 hours. But hopefully, the weather will be more cooperative. I'm really looking forward to getting away this spring and summer.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #12

I could never wait that long I would be all over that trailer The warm fuzzy feeling of purchasing a trailer is the best thing in the world

When I got mine, I stopped half way and camped two days ! of which in one of them I managed to lock myself out of the trailer I believe It was around 800 miles or so from where I picked it up to my house. You must be very excited !
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #13

Yeah I'm planning to go over the seams really well at the dealership when I pick it up to make sure the seams are good before I take it home. I just ordered some Eternabond, so if there are any problems, I'll take care of them right away. Unfortunately I have to wait until then, the wife is a CPA, and it's hard for us to get away this time of year. I want to make sure she is with me, in case I miss something on the PDI.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #14

We have an '08 255RS and we love it! We have close to 10k miles on ours. We towed it cross country in 2009, 8000+ miles and spent 4 weeks in it. You can't go wrong with the EternaBond tape. Tape the slide joints and seems first. That is where we experienced our one and only leak so far. Then tape the joints and seems on the roof and your good to go. If you take care of it, you shouldn't have an issue. Good luck and enjoy.
Henlsey Arrow & TruControl Gold
Longest Trip: 2009 - 4 Weeks - 8030 miles Coast to Coast.
zbittsurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #15

Thanks everyone. We go to pick it up tomorrow. Leaving at 4 am, hopefully back before 10 pm. We just have too much stuff on our plates right now to camp right now. Maiden voyage should be the end of the month.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #16

Oh my ! Where do you live and where are you driving to pick it up if you don't mind me asking, not in very specific terms of location of course ... That units looks like one I saw at Campkins .... is it ? They are an awesome dealer if that is the case ....
Old 04-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #17

I bought the camper from Tiara RV in Elkhart. I live in the Quad Cities area of Iowa. I really liked the dealer, my sales lady was very good and their service tech did a great job on the PDI. I also got a pretty good test on the way home with rain, and a 20mph cross and headwinds. Its home in the shed waiting to be cleaned and have some eternabond. Can't wait to go camping
Old 06-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #18

Send a message via MSN to stefatc
Last year my wife and I decided to by the same TT as yours. Due to the work, last year we just went camping twice. Since we're in Nova Scotia we haven't gone yet but this weekend coming we'll spend 2 days in our TT. I just have to tell you few things. The winds can open the vents on the top of your TT, so we installed 2 covered. Last December I got water in my TT. Your refrigerator needs to mod, so check the recall!!! Last week I decided to clean the fresh water tank then use it... 2 days ago I drink from the tap and yesterday I got gastrointestinal... so becarefull If you need more info, just ask me

2006 Ford Expedition Limited 4X4
2005 Surveyor SC-255RS
I had Tent trailer 1999 Viking, and before that it was tent for 7 years.

Supports our troops
stefatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscastle View Post

Hi,
I just made an offer on a 2006 Surveyor 255RS, if all goes well I should be picking it up next week. We're quite excited!

If you could share any experience you have with the camper and any advice it would be appreciated. It's in pretty great condition so I'm not too worried about that.

Cheers,
Elliot
elliotg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #20

Gvwr

One thing Im having trouble finding is the true GVWR of this camper. One site says 5000LBS. Another says 5500LBS.

My truck is spec'd for 5000LBS tow capacity (2011 explorer Limited) so it'll be tight, the dry weight is 4300LBS on this trailer.

I figure I'll try it out and if my truck has too much trouble going uphill, I'll trade it in for a pickup , wife isnt too happy about that but you know...

Thanks!
elliotg78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags