Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #1

Thumbs up 2006 SV260 - new to me

HI, thanks to all the information I gathered here, I put in an deposit on a 2006 Surveyor SV260, why I waited on the coldest day of the year is beyond me (-45C with the windchill).

After a few weeks of researching my next TT ( I currently have a 2002 Sun Valley Road Runner 180) I wanted something a bit bigger, a slide out, a couch, two doors, and fiberglass sides and tow nicely behind my 2006 Chev Silverado ext. cab 5.3L v8.

I found SV260 the web about 7.5 hours away, put down a deposit and will bring it home on Jan 28th if everything checks out ok.

thanks again for your posts! - ken

kenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

Congratulations !

Is the sale conditional on you checking the unit before picking it up ?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sweet !! Congrats !!

BTW, we love our Surveyor.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Photodog

Congratulations!! We picked up our 2007 sv264 a few months ago, and we love it. It pulls very well behind my 2007 dodge ½ ton CC big horn (hemi with 392 gearing) you will enjoy your new rig.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #5

HI , thanks for the replies, the sale is conditional upon final inspection, the $500 holding deposit is not.

It's a small RV dealer that also owns a campground.

Here is a link to their presale checklist on their site

Oak Lake Check List « Oak Lake RV Sales & Service

We've had about 10 emails and 6 phone conversations so far, I found them to be very up front. I had a few dealers not return questions after the first email contact.

I also like this page on their employees

Hoffman's Oak Lake Campground in Kerrick Minnesota:

If their are certain items on a Surveyor I should really check, let me know. The dealer said to allow 1 to 2 hours for the walk through - familization - and inspection.

I will especially try to determine if there are any leaks or floor soft spots.

cheers - ken
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #6

Look under the sofa for discoloration and other signs of water penetration. Same with under every window. Bottom of cabinets etc.

Good luck with the pickup ! I hope it is a nice clean unit and you enjoy many great years camping with it.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #7

Thumbs up

HI, we are back in Winnipeg with the SV260 safe and sound, Jeff came with me instead of Arva, a great help with the drive.

We left Friday Jan 28th, at 3:30am and got ahead ahead of the forecasted snow storm, we got to Kerrick MN ( about 40 miles SW of Duluth, a 8 hour drive for us) around noon in great weather. The 260 was in their big shop waiting to go & thank to Jeff’s sharp eye he spotted a used 10,000# rated Equalizer hitch, so we traded my 6000# Equalizer hitch for it plus $50.00, great deal and a some extra capacity for me.

We did the final walk through, the furnace did not seem very warm, the chief mechanic ( who did the walk through with us) , pulled the furnace out, and 2 hours late with a new gas valve in it the furnace was putting out the heat.

It started snowing at 2pm – huge soft snowflakes, at 3pm we did the awning check outside in the snow, rear TT taillight not working, give it a jiggle, ok now, and we’re off in now real heavy snow at 3:30 pm.
Oak Lake RV http://www.oaklakerv.com/ is on a lake, so it’s off in the boonies and the road out seemed so very narrow in the snow and folks were starting to head home from school and work.

Jeff did a great job driving, lots of snow and slush –6C, we got into the Grand Rapids MN Super 8 motel at 6:30pm, the rear parking lot was just ploughed too. Asked the desk girl where to eat, there is a place across the back parking lot, and here is a coupon for 10% off and a free cocktail – bonus eh and the Alaskan cod was fantastic!

The Super 8 continental breakfast opened at 4am, so we were up at 4am, left GR at 5am, snowy and ice misting to Bemidji MN then icy roads, cold and very windy to Grand Forks. We shopped at Menards, made it to the Pembina ND border crossing at 1pm, 15 minutes of paper work, paid the 5%GST on the Cdn value which was at par of the US value and headed North, home to Winnipeg into strong NW winds. The trailer now covered in a layer of frozen snow and slush.

We got to WInnipeg at 3:30pm, probably got 6 to 8 mpg into that wind, we decided to park the TT at Jeff’s business http://www.westernturbo.com/ to unthaw, we'll go back and wash off the grime and salt this afternoon, what a great adventure!!
cheers - ken
Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #8

Congratulations ! I hope you will have manny happy years of camping in it !