Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #21

The toe thing can be important

We bought a cutting board that fit over half the sink for our additional counterspace. Gives you about 9 more inches and you still have full use of the other sink.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #22

Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper 1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	30472

Name:	camper 2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	30473Thanks to both of you for the new posts on the Surveyor 220. We took our first long trip in this camper to Cherokee, NC, and everything worked well with the exception of the Chinese-made scissor jacks. Two of mine have a couple of spots where they get very hard to crank, and I have to turn it so hard that they feel like they are going to twist off the frame before it finally continues turning. They feel very cheap. I know I can replace them with BAL scissor jacks but first I will try some dry graphite to see if that will cure it.

Shown are a couple of shots of the excellent site we had in Cherokee.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #23

Nice pictures! I will have to remember to take some next time (and then learn how to post them). I can tell you now that they won't look as good as yours. Wow.

I am new to the scissor jack issue (I guess the pup had good ones) but I am having some trouble with mine as well. You mentioned dry graphite? What about regular grease or WD-40? I was hoping mine was just rough because it was new but from your post I guess now I will have to be proactive (i.e. do something because it won't fix itself)
Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Nice pictures! I will have to remember to take some next time (and then learn how to post them). I can tell you now that they won't look as good as yours. Wow.

I am new to the scissor jack issue (I guess the pup had good ones) but I am having some trouble with mine as well. You mentioned dry graphite? What about regular grease or WD-40? I was hoping mine was just rough because it was new but from your post I guess now I will have to be proactive (i.e. do something because it won't fix itself)

Others here wiser than I suggested the dry graphite because wet grease might attract road grime and dirt and eventually gunk things up.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #25
Traveling Two

Strangely enough, we were disappointed with the foam in the dinette cushions and also had the foam replaced. Heading out Friday for two weeks with new foam. Couldn't sit too long on the original foam. Even the grandkids complained so you know it was poor quality.

Other then that, no real issues that weren't addressed when we purchased on SP220 last year.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #26

jerrylving:
A lot of people don't seem happy with the cushions. It hasnt really bothered me yet (insert joke here) but I can understand it.

mjones12:
Thanks for the heads up on the lube. It makes sense. I would of it it with grease because that is what I have around. I will get some of the graphite and try it. Replacment looks expensive.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #27

Trying my hand at pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130601_200759_046.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	32054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130601_200834_402.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	32055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130601_200922_397.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	32056  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #28

I'm thinking of buying one of these. Would you recommend it?
jodiliby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #29

I would reccomend it. Esp. after reading some of the headaches that are to be expected with a new unit. Ours has been great. It is only my and my wife so it is the perfect size for us. We wanted something light enough to tow with a reasonable sized car but still looked like a "home" and not a camper on the inside. I think it is the perfect size camper for couples.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #30

My wife (Norma), small dog and I have just finished our second trip with a SP 220. Previously owned a 2007 Surveyor 160T which was a fun unit, however eventually got tired of having to crawl over a body when hitting the sack. I was originally looking at a comparable size Rockwood or Flagstaff, but Norma fell in love with the Surveyor entertainment centre. I must admit that It offers a nice privacy screen between the bed and kitchen areas even though it adds weight to the trailer. Overall it is a nice looking trailer and the workmanship is good as far as trailer construction is concerned. The only design flaw is that the bathroom cannot be accessed with the slide fully closed (minor for us).
Picked up the trailer on the 6th of June and spent a few days camping near the dealership (600 miles from home). Any major problems can be repaired immediately by the Dealer: A/C fan in this case.
Camped on the way home to find out what minor things needed to be repaired and where to put everything. After mounting the towel racks etc, the only adjustments I made were: installing a half shelf in the overhead cabinet, cutting two slots in the knife holder so the stove cover hinges lie flat, lengthening one of the straps to secure the table, reposition the strut bases so the foot of the bed stays in the upright position and tightened a nut to stop a water leak. The unit came with a full sink cover, but we added a cutting board to cover the small sink leaving the large sink open ( Original Gripper 11 by 14 fits nicely within the sink groves )
We love the idea of the sofa instead of the typical dinette area (with this you can stretch out). No problem seating 4 adults and two teenagers after bring in one stool. It seems quite a few do not like the table, but ours is not giving us any problems. The cushions are soft and the foam might be replaced sometime in the future.
Based on some of the questions in the other threads, just for information purposes:
1. In the 2013 model the water plump is located outside the bathroom wall left of the sofa. Remove the left sofa skirt for ease of access (slide out).
2. The slide motor is located under the middle of the sofa. Remove the middle sofa skirt: 3 screws.
At this point in time no regrets purchasing this trailer. Further trips are being planned.
Terry T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #31

Glad you are enjoying your sp22. Which over head cabinets did you put the half shelves in?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #32

In the cabinet over the sink area. Height level with the door catch, inside edge centre with the middle up right support. This shelf houses the coffee cups and glasses. Did put a raised edge so that the cups will not slide off. The bottom shelf houses the dinner plates etc. The unmodified side houses the coffee maker, utensil holder and toaster.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #33

Cool. We will have to think about that. Our coffee maker is In their "pantry" (shelves behind the mirror beside the couch). You just have to love love the the storage on these things. We mounted a paper towel holder on the table tonight. This is our first new camper and our first hardside so we are just getting our feet wet.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #34

Take your time in deciding were to put things. We spent a week camping thinking about where to place things. When we received our trailer the toilet paper holder was handed to us. My wife, Norma, sat on the toilet while I moved the toilet holder to different locations, and we finallly settled on a location hanging underneath the medicine cabinet.
Enjoy Terry T
Old 07-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #35

surveyor 220 maiden voyage and bathroom door

Hi mjones12,
My wife and I just got back from our maiden voyage in our new Surveyor 220 too and are very happy with it. You might be interested in a post I did today under the General Modification forum changing the bathroom door to a folding one. I had prostrate surgery last fall and when I need to pull over to use the restroom, I can't be wasting time putting out the slider. The folding door was a lot of work to put in but sure worked well. I included a couple of pictures to see how it looks. Enjoy your new trailer!
Pete

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #36

Forgot to mention; I also replaced the bathroom fan with a better unit with more speeds and in/out airflow, cost a bit over $100 at Camping World but really works well and provides a nice little airflow with the bedroom windows open. I also put a toilet paper holder on the inside of the bathroom sink cabinet door with small screws and that works well. Why Forest River didn't put a tp holder in is beyond me! We also put half shelves in the upper kitchen cabinets, very handy. I also put a counter extension on the door side of the kitchen counter, not so handy as it gets in the way and doesn't support as much weight as I would have liked, like a coffee maker. We also got a small folding plastic table and that really works well. Saves weight and with just the two of us we can position it to eat or use our laptops. Thanks you guys for all the good tips!
Pete

Old 07-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #37

Pete

What length screw did you use on the TP holder? We tried Velcro in the same place but it didn't hold so I am going the same rout however I was concerned I would go through the door. I was going to glue some blocks on.

Terry

We liked the idea of the half shelf so much we went out looking for one today (no luck. Will most likely have to stain one at home).

Tim
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #38

Pete: Thanks for the bathroom door info. For now, deploying the slide about a foot works for us, but it's good to consider options.

Tanddc: Your camping photos look great. I notice that you have your bike rack down. Do you use it for storing things off the ground while you're camping, or did you just have it down because you'd been hauling bikes or something else? We aren't bikers, and we're not sure what we will use that rack for, but always open to new ideas.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #39

Surveyor 220 bike rack

Hi,
We are both retired now, I'm 63 and recovering from prostrate surgery and 30 years with Ma Bell as a lineman/repairman with shot knees so no more bike riding for me, my wife is 52 and never liked to ride bikes anyway. So, I just took the bike rack off to save weight since we don't need to use it for storage (our trailer has more storage space than we know what to do with coming from a Jayco 18' trailer!) and I moved the spare tire from under the trailer and mounted it to the back bumper (see pic).
Anyone found a decent dual battery box for 2 group 24 batteries?
Happy Trails!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07072013 026e.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	34811  

Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #40

Afraid I can't help you with the double battery box. We have yet to put a bike on our rack but I love it for wood storage. Keeps it off the ground and easy to keep dry. We only store it there while we are on site. If there is any left to be moved at the end of the trip we put it up front for extra tongue weight.