Old 04-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #11

Thanks for the info. We just looked up the coachmen and it looks real nice!
I found one here local and we are deffantly going to go check it out. They say it weighs 7100 lbs? Is that right?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for all your replys! It has really helped a lot! Guess we will be looking for a larger truck.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwelliver View Post
I found one here local and we are deffantly going to go check it out. They say it weighs 7100 lbs? Is that right?
brochure/website base weight is 7015lbs. it's actual yellow sticker weight will be more, at least 400lbs. more.

loaded and nearly 37' long, this one is still too much for your Tahoe.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #14
One Happy Camper!

We looked at the surveyor also, but one of our must haves was outside lavatory entrance. We ended up with the Palomino Solaire 317bhsk. It has a very close floor plan to the surveyor but weighs quite a bit less.

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwelliver View Post
If you are talking about the 320BHDS that I have, no, that is probably not an accurate weight. They have a packages with some options that add a bit of weight, but mine was 7900lbs according to the yellow sticker delivered to the dealer.

They have a couple smaller models that would be in the 7000lb range dry. And some that are smaller than that.

What area of the country are you in?

If you want to see pictures of my trailer, always looking for an excuse to share. As for quality, we have no complaints so far. We had what I consider normal things when picked up. If you have ever built a new home, you know what a punch list is. We had a punch list. A cabinet door that came unglued, the A/C was not tight and leaked in rain, door was misalinged, etc. Dealer took care of all of it. I have not found anything that I felt was an actual quality issue.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #16

Up Date... So we ended up buying a 2013 Surveyor SV304. We did tow it home with our Tahoe about 30 miles and it was a little sketchy mainly the wind factor.
I found a great deal on a 2001 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L so we bought it. We have not towed with it yet but then numbers seem to be about right and the 3/4 ton suburban seems way heaver and has tons of power with the 8.1L. Unfortunately We didn't make it out this weekend but hopefully soon.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #17

Hi, I have a 2012 SV305. I'm not sure if you've purchase a new truck or not but I tow mine with an '07 Toyota Tundra (tow capacity of 10,800). Other than the average 8-9mpg it tows it pretty good as I have a dual cam eq hitch which has the sway control built into the cams. My truck also has helper spring air bags in the rear end (huge difference in the feel of the tow). We love ours as we bought ours in march 2012. We now have a 3 month old and she sleeps better in there than at home. Can't wait to use the bunks for her. You will love it if you don't already.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #18

As TT above said not sure if you bought a camper or truck yet or not but I just purchased our 2013 SV 305 this weekend and love it thus far! The thing is definitely a tank! I wouldn't suggest anyone to tow it with a gas motor though! It could definitely be done but I don't feel it is terribly safe or good for the gasser especially the 1/2 ton models. Reasoning being is the weight of the camper is only a small factor! Wind resistance to me is more of the limiting factor as you are basically towing a billboard behind you! I feel you need the additional weight of the 2500 or 3500 chassis as well as the weight of the diesel vs a gasser definitely helps stabilize the tow vehicle.

If you can't tell I currently own a diesel... I had a half ton Hemi when we first found this SV 305 and held off due to the hemi...

I pulled mine home with an 06' 5.9 cummins and the truck handled it with ease! We took it across the scales on the way home and weighed it as well. With the camper straight off the lot with full fresh tank of water and lines primed and water heater is how the camper was weighed, I will follow up later when I have it loaded for camping!
-Tongue weight ~900LBS
-Axle weights (still hooked on truck) 8000
-Camper (with jack down and no weight on truck) 8900

I towed mine with the 2500 diesel and a set of fast way E2 round bar equalizers. Towed very smoothly but she is heavy and LONG for a bumper mount!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #19

My Hemi has no trouble pulling the trailer but it does catch alot of wind. My truck is rated for 10,200 and I chose this truck because I couldn't justify a 3/4 diesel to pull the trailer to our seasonal site which is 20 miles away. The truck averaged over 12 Imp MPG with no wind and about 9 with a stiff breeze. I was averaging about 6 with my old 99 Dodge 318ci pulling a 2500 lb trailer so this is a huge improvement. I have my Dad's Duramax Diesel that I could use if we went on a long trip but I would have no trouble using my Hemi to tow within a few hours of home.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #20

Correct PrairieBoy the hemi WILL tow it! The problem with the half ton pickups combined with the 305 isn't the towing capacity. It is the payload capacity of the truck, for yours I believe it to be 1400 LBS as I had a 2010 Hemi crew cab. I believe this payload is very similar across all half ton makers...

The hitch weight of my 305 off the lot dry was 900 LBS! So for example assuming you had NOTHING in the truck in the way of tools, boxes ect prior to gearing up for camping the math would work out as follows:

payload of 1400LBS
hitch of dry camper -900 LBS
= 500LBS remaining
2 passengers @ 200 = -400
= 100 LBS remaining

Now assume real world conditions of the fact the bed of the truck will be plum full... as mine always is as well as you WON'T have the dry camper tongue weight, figure another 100-200LBS there plus an additional ~50 for a weight distribution setup. See where this is going?

Not saying the Hemi or other half tons won't be able to do it, as I can speak for my hemi being a monster for pulling! What I am saying is a lot of people over look the payload portion of equation and it's not good on the truck nor is it a safe idea...

People who need the truck as a daily driver or can't afford or unwilling to switch to diesel in my opinion should be using a 3/4 ton truck with the gas motor at least... Night and day difference and worth every penny to keep my friends and family safe...

Just my opinion... Anyone who has switched from 1/2 to 3/4 ton I can guarantee you WILL NOT go back...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote