Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

2013 SV264 Electric Stabilizers Question

Just purchased a 2013 SV264 Surveyor Select 10th Anniversary. After extending the electric stabilizers I noticed there is alot of movement. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this common with this unit?
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #2

They are NOT the most stable units,and dont try to hold the switch for More,this will be a blown fuse or Bent linkage! Just saying. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #3

Thanks youroo.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I notice that after a few hours, I can go back and put a little more pressure on the stabilizers. I think the ground settles under them and they loosen a bit. Happens almost every time. Maybe that will help.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I notice that after a few hours, I can go back and put a little more pressure on the stabilizers. I think the ground settles under them and they loosen a bit. Happens almost every time. Maybe that will help.
I did that this past weekend while camping at Cajun Palms. All the sites are concrete and still the same result. Thanks...
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I did that this past weekend while camping at Cajun Palms. All the sites are concrete and still the same result. Thanks...
Dang!
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #7

I think this is common on the new ultralight camper. There have been lots of discussion on various make and models of campers concerning this issue. There are lots of add on gadgets to reduce or supposedly do away with the sway or bounce but I am still not happy after trying most of them. Hope you find a way to solve your issue, it may be better on your Surveyor but on my Flagstaff I think I will just have to live with the problem until I trade up.

2011 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel
2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite 831 FKBSS
Fleet of Canoes and one Kayak
So Many Rivers so Little Time!
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Always Learning

I have the same thing- electric stabilizers in the rear and even with my UltraFab Eliminators (knockoff JT Strongarms), I still have a good bit of movement inside.

I'm going to pick up a pair of scissor jacks this spring and end up placing them near the axles. I've read that is supposed to help. It means another step to setting up and taking down- and one that is manual unlike everything else. But if it reduces some of the movement, I'm all for it.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
X2

I also installed bal stabilizers on the rear jacks.

I have virtually no for and aft or side to side movement.

Just some axle/tire bounce which is minimal.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

And are you using chocks on both sides? And front and back (or between the wheels)?
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #11

Yes, I put chocks between the wheels on both sides. I put down one chock pull up on it and put other ones then I release the brake. The camper rolls back a little onto the other chock. I do not have much front to back movement it's the side to side shake I am trying to get rid of. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I believe the reference was to using BAL X-Chock or Roto-Chock between the tires which work better than the wedge style blocks.

I've used SteadyFast stabilizers which helped reduce movement and recently, use an adjustable jack stand near the axles on each side and the camper is pretty solid now.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #13

I didn't see anyone post this fact - or I missed it.
The stabs are self leveling. When the pads are raised the whole "rack" can be pushed back and forth. They can't stabilize side to side.
Some movement doesn't bother us.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #14

I noticed it in the 10 weeks I have spent in mine... 7 for work, 3 for play... but I didn't know enough to be bothered by it... I use 12" plywood squares under the feet. The trailer doesn't move that much, but seems to move more than my first one...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #15

Try this. After you are set up with your stabs down have somebody bounce up and down while you watch the stab jack. They flex like crazy. They are made of very thin metal which allows them to flex. I'm going to try some things to stiffen them without interfering with their operation or adding to much weight. If I can reduce the flexing that should reduce more of the movement.

Putting scissor jacks under the FRAME as close to the mid-way point of your trailer or just in front of the front axle will also help a lot. If you jack up on the AXLE the frame still moves up and down on the suspension. This won't reduce trailer movement. We purchased screw jacks from CW that fit under the slide rails. That helped a lot. Our Flagstaff slide is a dinette and couch slide that is probably 16-20 feet long and it slides out almost 40"'s. It needs some external support and those jacks did the trick.

Travel trailer frames are very thin and flimsy and they flex a lot. If you want to reduce TT bounce and movement you would have to stiffen the frame or add supports to the outer parts of the frame. Probably the best would be to place 4-5 good scissor jacks evenly spaced on each side of the trailer frame. That would probably work but that's a lot of jacks.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #16

I went yesterday to the local RV show and spoke to a FR Rep. He said with the combo of the lite frame and electric stabilizers there is movement.It is what it is. I really like this TT. Now it's time to get ready for some camping. T minus 12 days and counting.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Putting scissor jacks under the FRAME as close to the mid-way point of your trailer or just in front of the front axle will also help a lot. If you jack up on the AXLE the frame still moves up and down on the suspension. This won't reduce trailer movement. We purchased screw jacks from CW that fit under the slide rails. That helped a lot. Our Flagstaff slide is a dinette and couch slide that is probably 16-20 feet long and it slides out almost 40"'s. It needs some external support and those jacks did the trick.
TeJay
I plan on adding jacks under the frame near the axles to get rid of some of the excessive shake.

But, I did want to comment- if I'm reading right, you're putting jacks under the slide itself (on the rails); if so, I believe most manufacturers strongly recommend against this practice. The main part of your RV can shift and move where the slide itself doesn't and this can add pressure to places that it's not designed for.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #18

OK, I'm not sure if I agree with your comment about putting jacks under the slide rails. I can understand why a manufacturer might put that in their literature. Remember they hire lawyers who try to protect them from any and every possible unreasonable law suit. Sometimes I'm surprised that they accept the fact that we actually move our TT's from time to time.

That said. First of all the slide jacks designed for and purchased at CW are actually acme thread screw support jacks. They won't jack-up anything but are designed to fit on the slide rails once it's out to support and/or keep the slide steady just as the stab jacks are designed to do. Secondly, Our TT is parked. The 4 stab-jacks are down. The tongue jack has leveled the TT therefore it's on the ground. I've placed 2-scissors jacks in front of the front axle and now you say the manufacturer is telling me that my trailer might move so don't place anything under the slide rails to reduce movement???? Maybe if we have an earthquake it will move but otherwise I think it will stay put until I decide to move it.

Here's something that I just thought of. By putting supports under the frame rails it will reduce movement which in turn would put less strain on all slide rail components. That will prolong the life of all those components. Try crawling under your slide once and have a few people walk around inside your slide. Have a couple of teens bouncing around on the couch while you're gone. Seat 4 adults at a kitchen table for dinner and observe the strain on the slide and its components. I think I'm doing them and me a favor.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
Always Learning

I think that's the nice part of these forums is to hear each opinion and view. I've personally read too many times that modern slide systems don't need support and that they can cause problems. For that, I haven't done it. For you, you feel the opposite and have actually done it in practice- if it works for you, far be it from me to push my views any further.

Happy camping!